News Adam Cooney avoids knee surgery for first time in four years

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ad...me-in-four-years/story-fnelctok-1226465983115

BROWNLOW medallist Adam Cooney will avoid knee surgery for the first time in four years, with the Western Bulldogs daring to dream he can regain his sparkling form of past seasons.

Dogs football manager James Fantasia said Cooney was hopeful he had found ways to manage his chronic knee condition.

Rookie ruckman Tom Campbell (ankle) will need a post-season clean-up.

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great news.

One thing I have noticed about his games since coming back is he seems to be avoiding lateral movement. Pretty much everything he does involves him running through in a straight line.

This has had next to no negative effects on his games as we've seen in his last 3 matches and suits that outside running role. Bursting straight through and getting those long kicks.

G-Mo77

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep, this is good news. Coons was really good in our last 2 games, I hope he can hold together for many more.

I was under the impression from a previous article, loose cartilage built up in there over time and will need to be removed pretty much at the end of every year?.

If so by not removing the stuff will he all of a sudden need one in the middle of next year?

Said it 100 times before, but he's like an extra first round draft pick if he can get himself right. And exactly the kind of player we need. Elite speed and penetrating kick. And a goal kicking mid.

Boyd, wallis, libba, smith and picken can handle the clearance work.

Cooney, griff, jj, Mayes and stringer providing the polish. Perfect

Dayyuum

Senior List
May 23, 2009
S.E. Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great start and should be encouraging for Cooney. Hopefully he is building some confidence in a knee - which most had written off - after playing out the last two matches and now this result.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Awesome news, we all know what happened the last (and only) time he had a full preseason.

Wishful thinking but even if he can get kind of near that form he would be massive for our team. If he has a full pre-season, gets fit, touches up on his skills that he has lost a little bit over the last couple of years and hopefully hes good to go :)

Well....he has not lost his burst speed from what I have seen of him toward the end of this year.....had he lost that I would have been concerned.

Until those last 2 games most people thought his speed was gone too

Back