Adam Goodes declines Hall of Fame invitation

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree that Goodes will be inducted without accepting the invitation to be inducted. He may never attend the ceremony, but I don't think the AFL will induct him to the HOF out of spite.
I'm not saying the AFL will induct Goodes out of spite.

I'm saying if Goodes continues to knock back the AFL's Hall Of Fame invitation out of spite, the AFL will eventually just shrug and say "Okay Goodesy, have it your way" and they'll just induct him anyway - with love - and get Roosy, Horse, Micky O, Bobby Skilton or Goodesy's mum to accept the award on his behalf.

[Maybe not this year or the next. But they'll get tired of the annual debate (just like they did Ablett senior.) Just give it 5 or 6 years]

No biggie. It won't be much different to the times when they induct a deceased legend from yesteryear.
Certainly not ideal. Needless egg-on-face for the AFL, should it happen like that.

Why would Goodes hold the AFL hostage over something like this? The AFL bent over backwards to make things better for him in 2015. They took the unprecedented step of imploring barrackers to stop booing him. They even threatened to eject fans who booed. They actually did eject some fans - the two most vocal Blues fans at the SCG were thrown out after they reacted to Goodesy's war dance.

LOL at the media narrative that the AFL "didn't do enough". It was the fricken media who caused all the problems by sensationalising everything so they could sell more papers, boost ratings and get more clicks, etc.

The thing people need to remember is that Goodesy brought most of this on himself. Not the AFL. People don't just turn on footballers and start booing them for no reason. It's cause and effect. He wanted to stir people up and make waves. Mission accomplished.

In any case, they were just a few "boos". People weren't throwing bricks at him. The guy was a public figure - the star player of a successful team - and he got booed a few times after he decided to focus on the politics instead of the footy. So now he's giving the middle finger to the football world and we're all supposed feel bad about ourselves and how we all "let poor Goodesy down"

What a joke!

Last edited:
BS.
He has moved on from footy, he doesn't want any part of it.
Why is it so hard for people to respect his decision?

You reckon if the AFL gave him the opportunity to permanently remove himself from contention to be inducted to the HOF forever he would take it?

If the AFL had any decency they would have respected his wishes by not making public that he declined an invitation to be inducted.
If the AFL had just kept its word then people like you wouldn't be here frothing at the mouth, again, for no reason.

Goyder said the two-time Brownlow medallist asked the AFL not to detail his decision — and the reasons behind it — before this year's induction event.

The induction event was scheduled for June 22 but was postponed due to the current COVID-19 lockdown in Victoria.

"Adam had asked the AFL to wait before announcing his decision, which has now been made public separately," Goyder said.

Is that how you understood my post? I must've given the wrong impression. I'm not saying the AFL will induct Goodes out of spite. I'm saying if Goodes continues to knock back the AFL's Hall Of Fame invitation out of spite, the AFL will eventually just shrug and say "Okay Goodesy, have it your way" and they'll just induct him anyway - with love - and get Roosy, Horse, Micky O, Bobby Skilton or Goodesy's mum to accept the award on his behalf.

No big deal. Not ideal. But it won't be much different to the times when they induct a deceased legend from yesteryear.
Just a bit of needless egg on face for the AFL.

I'm not sure why Goodes would hold the AFL hostage over something like this. The AFL bent over backwards to make things better for Goodes in 2015. They took the unprecedented step of imploring barrackers to stop booing him. They even threatened to eject fans who booed. They actually did eject some fans - the two most vocal Blues fans at the SCG were thrown out after they reacted to Goodesy's war dance.

The thing people need to remember is that Goodesy brought this on himself. Not the AFL.
People don't just turn on footballers and start booing them for no reason. It's cause and effect.

So Goodesy is now giving the middle finger to the football world and we're all supposed feel bad about ourselves and how we all "let poor Goodesy down"

Please!

I just disagree with the bolded. IMO the negative 'will he won't he accept this year?' PR is still better than the AFL awkwardly trying to induct someone who doesn't want to be inducted. Maybe they will do as you suggested, we are as you said just talking s**t here. Opinions on something that may or may not happen aren't actually that important.

It's uncomfortable for some people but it's not in the best interest of 'Goodesy' the public figure to completely disconnect from the AFL. If he wants nothing to do with footy, the AFL, public life etc. that is fine, but there's a degree of 'once you are out you are out' in play.

Goyder said the two-time Brownlow medallist asked the AFL not to detail his decision — and the reasons behind it — before this year's induction event.

The induction event was scheduled for June 22 but was postponed due to the current COVID-19 lockdown in Victoria.

"Adam had asked the AFL to wait before announcing his decision, which has now been made public separately," Goyder said.

The AFL invited him and he said no thanks.
The AFL then tried to wedge him.
He still said no.

The AFL trying to spin it that they honoured his wishes is BS.
He had no say in anything that the AFL did or said.

I've had a perspective shift on Goodes and have come to see it, that on the balance of all these events, he's been the victim of systemic racism, but not in the way most present it.

I've posted before I think Goodes was a victim of his own lack of diplomacy, and I still think that's true. My experience is that if you've got differences and want people to understand your perspective, you've got to meet them where they are or things just won't go well. IMO Goodes was so bad at this, it seemed like he didn't even know he had to be doing it. I think it's for this reason he was considered by some to be an agitator.

When it popped into my head a moment ago, I asked myself why didn't he realise this? Was it his intention to shock and agitate? I actually don't think it was. That doesn't seem to be congruent with him as a person overall. So I got to thinking, maybe it's because he thought Australia had signaled to him it was ready to have a tough conversation and come meet him where he's at, rather than him having to meet Australian's. He was wrong. Australia sent false signals with Australian of the Year, growing platitudes towards indigenous people and culture as concepts etc. It seems Adam thought Australia was ready to accept him for who he was.

So I don't fault Goodes other than not the EQ to read he was being stooged a system that wants to pretend it's not racist, but can't do the work and have the conversations needed for that to be true. The only time I see Goodes screwing up here is with the 13yo girl. She's a child. I don't give a s**t how ready you think Australia is for this, you go to meet her where she is.

Anyway. Just wanted to share a perspective shift with anyone interest.

The only time I see Goodes screwing up here is with the 13yo girl. She's a child. I don't give a sh*t how ready you think Australia is for this, you go to meet her where she is.

given how many of adam goodes quotes have been taken out of context i expect to see this one in murdoch papers tomorrow

I appreciate why Goodes took offense to the word ape.

I appreciate how to a 13yo girl from Moe, the phrase ya big ape may not have a racial connotations.

Yep, but that becomes irrelevant to those who are pushing their own agenda

given how many of adam goodes quotes have been taken out of context i expect to see this one in murdoch papers tomorrow

Goodes pointed out racist behaviour from crowd wasn't his job to fact check girls age that should be done by TV broadcaster before airing the incident nation wide live during game and all over news after the game before doing any fact checking when they realised the girls age they quickly pointed the blame at Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes pointed out racist behaviour from crowd wasn't his job to fact check girls age that should be done by TV broadcaster before airing the incident nation wide live during game and all over news after the game before doing any fact checking when they realised the girls age they quickly pointed the blame at Goodes.
And from what I recall, security took the girl away and wouldn't let the parents go with her?

Team sports struggle to find meaningful individual awards. It can have some validity where you have very individual stats like in cricket or baseball. But in Aussie rules the individual awards are complete bollocks with no validity whatsoever.

I wish more players would reject this kind of crap. I don't care what reason for - its just good that individual awards are being rejected.

Goodes:
W216 - D5 - L151
Premierships - 2, Runner up - 2
end of story.

I've had a perspective shift on Goodes and have come to see it, that on the balance of all these events, he's been the victim of systemic racism, but not in the way most present it.

I've posted before I think Goodes was a victim of his own lack of diplomacy, and I still think that's true. My experience is that if you've got differences and want people to understand your perspective, you've got to meet them where they are or things just won't go well. IMO Goodes was so bad at this, it seemed like he didn't even know he had to be doing it. I think it's for this reason he was considered by some to be an agitator.

When it popped into my head a moment ago, I asked myself why didn't he realise this? Was it his intention to shock and agitate? I actually don't think it was. That doesn't seem to be congruent with him as a person overall. So I got to thinking, maybe it's because he thought Australia had signaled to him it was ready to have a tough conversation and come meet him where he's at, rather than him having to meet Australian's. He was wrong. Australia sent false signals with Australian of the Year, growing platitudes towards indigenous people and culture as concepts etc. It seems Adam thought Australia was ready to accept him for who he was.

So I don't fault Goodes other than not the EQ to read he was being stooged a system that wants to pretend it's not racist, but can't do the work and have the conversations needed for that to be true. The only time I see Goodes screwing up here is with the 13yo girl. She's a child. I don't give a sh*t how ready you think Australia is for this, you go to meet her where she is.

Anyway. Just wanted to share a perspective shift with anyone interest.
It's not the obligation of the oppressed to meet their oppressors half way. Yes, some people are very good at negotiation, others at agitation, both of which are important in order to get a good result. Muhammad Ali was an agitator, hated at the time, beloved now.

I disagree completely with your assessment to how he responded to being called an ape, it's been discussed ad nauseum, he had a right to point it out, he wasn't carding her for ID, the responsibility for any ensuing mess lies elsewhere. Other than that, I don't disagree with a lot of your assessment of Australia giving him false signals.

Plenty of people reject honours and the people seeking to bestow them respect that decision.

The question is why is Goodes any different? Why should his wishes be ignored?

Who else has?

What a casually racial comment, just a few boos. No one has ever being booed like that before or since. The simple facts are people didn't want to understand,Ike yourself the history of indigenous Australians and the massacres that occured in this country, where goodsey decided to use his Australian of the year as a platform to put a spotlight on their history, since European settlement.

Add to the fact that during indigenous round, he's called an ape, could you imagine the hurt, when the round is here to celebrate their culture? Listen to goodseys presser afterwards it was pure class, he never blamed the girl.

Then we have the president of another AFL club, well educated man come out on radio and infer Goodes is King Kong, how Eddie wasn't banished from the game forever, which the AFL should have done, or given him a 12 month ban from attending or calling a game, is just one of the reasons they AFL didn't do enough.

This is where the Aussie rasicm casual undertow comes out, Goodes is seen to be ahead of himself, he's supposed to be seen not heard from, let's cut him down a few cogs, so the indication he overlays for free kicks is a free for all to say goodsey we don't want to hear about your people's past, why are you trying to educate us, let's boo the s**t out of you each time you get it and it snowballed.

The AFL likes to be seen to be doing the right thing, look at all the themed rounds we have, yet when there's the opportunity to actually stand up and provide leadership on this issue and stamp it out they do nothing, like they will do with rod Owen.

Goodes asked for this to be not made public, yet the AFL couldn't resist to leak it out.

Not sure how you can be so scared of a traditional dance of a spear throw, once again during indigenous round that it's goodseys fault. We need to look in the mirror and understand, these guys hurt and their peoples hurt.

I'm not saying the AFL will induct Goodes out of spite.

I'm saying if Goodes continues to knock back the AFL's Hall Of Fame invitation out of spite, the AFL will eventually just shrug and say "Okay Goodesy, have it your way" and they'll just induct him anyway - with love - and get Roosy, Horse, Micky O, Bobby Skilton or Goodesy's mum to accept the award on his behalf.

[Maybe not this year or the next. But they'll get tired of the annual debate (just like they did Ablett senior.) Just give it 5 or 6 years]

No biggie. It won't be much different to the times when they induct a deceased legend from yesteryear.
Certainly not ideal. Needless egg-on-face for the AFL, should it happen like that.

Why would Goodes hold the AFL hostage over something like this? The AFL bent over backwards to make things better for him in 2015. They took the unprecedented step of imploring barrackers to stop booing him. They even threatened to eject fans who booed. They actually did eject some fans - the two most vocal Blues fans at the SCG were thrown out after they reacted to Goodesy's war dance.

LOL at the media narrative that the AFL "didn't do enough". It was the fricken media who caused all the problems by sensationalising everything so they could sell more papers, boost ratings and get more clicks, etc.

The thing people need to remember is that Goodesy brought most of this on himself. Not the AFL. People don't just turn on footballers and start booing them for no reason. It's cause and effect. He wanted to stir people up and make waves. Mission accomplished.

In any case, they were just a few "boos". People weren't throwing bricks at him. The guy was a public figure - the star player of a successful team - and he got booed a few times after he decided to focus on the politics instead of the footy. So now he's giving the middle finger to the football world and we're all supposed feel bad about ourselves and how we all "let poor Goodesy down"

What a joke!

What a casually racial comment, just a few boos. No one has ever being booed like that before or since. The simple facts are people didn't want to understand,Ike yourself the history of indigenous Australians and the massacres that occured in this country, where goodsey decided to use his Australian of the year as a platform to put a spotlight on their history, since European settlement.

Add to the fact that during indigenous round, he's called an ape, could you imagine the hurt, when the round is here to celebrate their culture? Listen to goodseys presser afterwards it was pure class, he never blamed the girl.

Then we have the president of another AFL club, well educated man come out on radio and infer Goodes is King Kong, how Eddie wasn't banished from the game forever, which the AFL should have done, or given him a 12 month ban from attending or calling a game, is just one of the reasons they AFL didn't do enough.

This is where the Aussie rasicm casual undertow comes out, Goodes is seen to be ahead of himself, he's supposed to be seen not heard from, let's cut him down a few cogs, so the indication he overlays for free kicks is a free for all to say goodsey we don't want to hear about your people's past, why are you trying to educate us, let's boo the sh*t out of you each time you get it and it snowballed.

The AFL likes to be seen to be doing the right thing, look at all the themed rounds we have, yet when there's the opportunity to actually stand up and provide leadership on this issue and stamp it out they do nothing, like they will do with rod Owen.

Goodes asked for this to be not made public, yet the AFL couldn't resist to leak it out.

Not sure how you can be so scared of a traditional dance of a spear throw, once again during indigenous round that it's goodseys fault. We need to look in the mirror and understand, these guys hurt and their peoples hurt.

Geez there's a fair amount of rewriting of history going on there

Here's a start, and this is just the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_declined_a_British_honour

Some big names in there just in the Knighthood section.

David Bowie
Bernie Ecclestone
Michael Faraday
Stephen Hawking

etc.

They probably didn't get the publicity of Goodes when it happened. Just a polite, "thanks, but no thanks".
In fairness to Adam, I am not sure that Adam has driven this publicity has he?

The publicity over this was driven more by the media i.e. Gerard and Slobbo.

Also, Bernie Ecclestone being offered a knighthood is a disgrace in its own right.

This may explain why.

In fairness to Adam, I am not sure that Adam has driven this publicity has he?

The publicity over this was driven more by the media i.e. Gerard and Slobbo.

Also, Bernie Ecclestone being offered a knighthood is a disgrace in its own right.

This may explain why.

Yeah, I was giving examples as someone asked who else has rejected honours. Ecclestone, what were they thinking? Plus the other stuff he was involved in.

If it's media driven they are pathetic. They should just accept it and move on to their next fake scandal.

Yeah, I was giving examples as someone asked who else has rejected honours. Ecclestone, what were they thinking? Plus the other stuff he was involved in.

If it's media driven they are pathetic. They should just accept it and move on to their next fake scandal.
The bar for being offered a knighthood is not high. Far worse people than Bernie Ecclestone have been given one i.e. Jimmy Saville.

That's the part that's laughable. Those who are so anti-Goodes they come up with "So typical from Goodes, has to make it all about himself," when he hasn't said a word publicly about the invitation, or his reasons for declining it. Yes, by taking himself off the grid and responding directly to the AFL to decline its invitation he's (again) making it all about himself. The man has no shame 🙄

I mean, if you really wanted to continue sticking the boots in to him, you could probably come up with some s**t about how disrespectful he's being to the great game that he played at the highest level for over 15 years, but some people are too lazy to even make that dubious connection. And the AFL should have known better than to go public with this, because it's pretty clear that as a governing body, it is ashamed at the treatment that one of its all time greats had to endure and how it essentially did nothing at the time to stop it.

That's the part that's laughable. Those who are so anti-Goodes they come up with "So typical from Goodes, has to make it all about himself," when he hasn't said a word publicly about the invitation, or his reasons for declining it. Yes, by taking himself off the grid and responding directly to the AFL to decline its invitation he's (again) making it all about himself. The man has no shame 🙄

I mean, if you really wanted to continue sticking the boots in to him, you could probably come up with some sh*t about how disrespectful he's being to the great game that he played at the highest level for over 15 years, but some people are too lazy to even make that dubious connection. And the AFL should have known better than to go public with this, because it's pretty clear that as a governing body, it is ashamed at the treatment that one of its all time greats had to endure and how it essentially did nothing at the time to stop it.
The problem with the AFL not going public about Adam's decision not to accept the invitation to the Hall of Fame is that the longer it went with him not being in the hall of fame, the more questions were going to be asked about why he wasn't in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back