nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Well no.

If you perform some action or say something knowing that the target is reasonably likely to interpret that as a racist jibe against them - then that is a racist action on your part, no ifs, buts, maybes - its straight textbook racism.

Take for example, when I was a kid, the 'Pakis' were simply the visiting Pakistan cricketing team and I used the team freely. After living in the UK for a while I came to learn the term to be a racist insult. Coming back to Australia, I wouldn't use that term here, even though it has no history that I know of being a racist term here. Because if I did call someone from Pakistan a 'Paki', especially if I'd known that they had lived in the uk, then they may well feel that they have been racially insulted given the history of the term.

It is the same for Adam Goodes, people were booing knowing that it was going to be interpreted as being racist, hence it was a racist action. It is not an excuse to say Goodes 'misinterpreted my insults which sounded racist'.

People who claim they were booing "becuase he is a diver" are to a person, behaving in racist behaviour

And you know what?, if you can see how that was wrong, how it caused insult and that you regret it, and make a note to think before you speak next time, then that is ok, nothing else needed. All people have inherent biases, not being a racist just means that you say and do things with due consideration to giving everyone an equal go and being mindful of cultural baggage that can hurt. What matters is that this is who you are today and who you are tomorrow, not what was said yesterday if you disavow it
But The term paki is only Relevant to Pakistanis ...

Booing is a form of expression ... you are actually being racist by saying you can only boo certain races regardless of their actions ... how dumb and insular is that???
That’s the definition of racism.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I don’t care before or after round 8 2015 ... or if someone decides it’s now racist or not.
I don’t care who you are ... play like Adam Goodes and I’ll boo you.
Let’s call it my way of letting players know that their actions have consequences ...
Tom Lynch got his fair share of booing ... his behavior has changed.

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Exactly. If all booing of Goodes was racist, why did it take him so long to speak out? He only spoke out about the booing after the incident with the teenager. Prior to that nothing was spoken of about it being racist.

Because the incident v Collingwood happened in 2013 and the booing started en masse in 2014/15?

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I love how it was from 2014 onwards and everyone booed him. But when you look at his first game back against Melbourne, it was Franklin getting boos.. why? Because of his wrestling etc... because of his behavior.
Then when Goodes finally comes on as the sub, his first game of the season, his first game as Australian of the year ... he receives a massive cheer. Commentators can’t stop celebrating the reception he received...

But but but ....

I love how it was from 2014 onwards and everyone booed him. But when you look at his first game back against Melbourne, it was Franklin getting boos.. why? Because of his wrestling etc... because of his behavior.
Then when Goodes finally comes on as the sub, his first game of the season, his first game as Australian of the year ... he receives a massive cheer. Commentators can’t stop celebrating the reception he received...

But but but ....

Why do you love that?

A good old fashioned pile-on.

Or maybe the way he acted and went about it?

Eddie Betts has been just as, if not MORE vocal about racism, yet does not get booed by 99% of the footballing public when he plays. So maybe it isn't so much about Adam being indigenous as it was Adam and the way he went about addressing the situation.

There is no doubt in my mind that whilst Adam didn't deserve what happened to him, he certainly did himself no favours with his handling of the situation.

But The term paki is only Relevant to Pakistanis ...

Booing is a form of expression ... you are actually being racist by saying you can only boo certain races regardless of their actions ... how dumb and insular is that???
That’s the definition of racism.
I don’t care before or after round 8 2015 ... or if someone decides it’s now racist or not.
I don’t care who you are ... play like Adam Goodes and I’ll boo you.
Let’s call it my way of letting players know that their actions have consequences ...
Tom Lynch got his fair share of booing ... his behavior has changed.

But but but ....
name the games he was booed in 2014? Other than Hawks?
Because there was no booing towards Goodes ...
This is all just whining - All I am hearing from you are trying to defend your past racist actions.

Nobody ever thinks they are racist - that is the message you need to grasp. When you do, it will be fine and you'll be fine

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
This is all just whining - All I am hearing from you are trying to defend your past racist actions.

Nobody ever thinks they are racist - that is the message you need to grasp. When you do, it will be fine and you'll be fine
Nice deflection .. and not answering any of the my questions

Nice deflection .. and not answering any of the my questions
you dont get it - the questions were irrelvant, meaningless whining excuses trying to justify your own abhorrent actions - they deserve no oxygen.
You abused Goodes knowing that would be interpreted as racist, you could have chosen another path, you didn't. That is your shame. You either own it and do something about it, or you just try and blame everybody else which is pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or maybe the way he acted and went about it?

Eddie Betts has been just as, if not MORE vocal about racism, yet does not get booed by 99% of the footballing public when he plays. So maybe it isn't so much about Adam being indigenous as it was Adam and the way he went about addressing the situation.

There is no doubt in my mind that whilst Adam didn't deserve what happened to him, he certainly did himself no favours with his handling of the situation.
Funny you mention Eddie Betts. Betts has been vocally abhorred by the treatment Adam Goodes received. Don't hide behind other Indigenous players who have been actively stating they perceived the boos towards Goodes as racist, because they're not on your side of the issue.

6rp5e6xzln531.jpg

If you booed beyond the point where it was perceived to be racism, the likes of Betts perceived your booing of Goodes as engaging in a racist activity. Doesn't make you a racist, but Betts' treatment is certainly not something to hide behind, when he himself thinks the booing of Goodes was an attack on his people.

More from Eddie Betts

Is Betts also wrong perceiving it as racism? Are all the Indigenous players that have come out and said that wrong?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
you dont get it - the questions were irrelvant, meaningless whining excuses trying to justify your own abhorrent actions - they deserve no oxygen.
You abused Goodes knowing that would be interpreted as racist, you could have chosen another path, you didn't. That is your shame. You either own it and do something about it, or you just try and blame everybody else which is pathetic.

If you do something that isn't racist, but know someone will view it as racist, does that make it racist?

If you do something that isn't racist, but know someone will view it as racist, does that make it racist?
Yes, if the rhetorical you has an alternative course of action. Racist actions are actions that denigrate or hurt another on the basis of their race. The qualification is how the target interprets the language used, not what your primary intent was. And if it was used knowing that it was likely to be misinterpreted, then that qualifies as being racist every day of the week. You could have taken another course of action, or done nothing at all, but you said what you said knowing it would inflict pain.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, if the rhetorical you has an alternative course of action. Racist actions are actions that denigrate or hurt another on the basis of their race. The qualification is how the target interprets the language used, not what your primary intent was. And if it was used knowing that it was likely to be misinterpreted, then that qualifies as being racist every day of the week. You could have taken another course of action, or done nothing at all, but you said what you said knowing it would inflict pain.

So if you ever boo an indigenous player for something personal that has nothing to do with race, it will always be a racist attack if that indigenous players thinks it is?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
So if you ever boo an indigenous player for something personal that has nothing to do with race, it will always be a racist attack if that indigenous players thinks it is?

That fact that Goodes and his teammates and other Indigenous Players pleaded with the public to stop booing Adam, but kept on booing anyway is very much racism at work.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Who changed the interpretation of
My actions? What ever they are?

In 2014 the Booing started during the 2014 Hawks round 8 game ... Round 9 v Essendon he was also booed.
Being left wing does not inoculate you from being a campaigner.

no it doesn’t ... but I know meaningful conversations with people like you will see nothing change.

Dismissing peoples views because they don’t fit yours...

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
That fact that Goodes and his teammates and other Indigenous Players pleaded with the public to stop booing Adam, but kept on booing anyway is very much racism at work.

Is it? What if there was a different motivation?

If a person who is indigenous tells you to stop something, but you don't stop, are you racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back