Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope Netflix pick this up. The themes of the events covered in the documentary reflect not just on racism in Australia and the determination of dominant white narratives to put uppity Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in their place but on aspects of the human condition.

There are universal themes that people in other countries would appreciate.

Ironically news broke about the twelve year sentence given to an American copper for shooting an unarmed woman. In a country where police shootings of unarmed citizens is commonplace, this was a landmark event. Of course the copper was Muslim and the victim a middle class white Australian woman.

This reminded me of the police killing an Aboriginal bloke in the cells on Palm Island a decade or so ago. The community rioted and we're treated to lectures from Premier Beattie. He was playing to the concerns of white Queenslanders.

I would hesitate to consider bringing this up to any of my friends outside of Australia, even just as a passionate conversation. It’s too disgraceful.

I can tell you that most people that I've dealt with in SE Asia think Australians are racist, so you won't be shocking them if that's what your'e worried about.

I can tell you that most people that I've dealt with in SE Asia think Australians are racist, so you won't be shocking them if that's what your'e worried about.

That’s definitely not the concern. It’s just embarrassing. I know all countries face racism and many are a lot worse than Australia but I want us to be so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh unfortunately. GTG words earlier are wonderful. I can see another onslaught against Adam, nothing's changed. The only thing that keeps me from going full pyscho is if one person can change their mind or opinion that's a good result. I not too optimistic beyond that. I'm closer to this than some for other reasons, respect to all who don't put up with the ******** and say so. ECGAEAD, sorry Bedford for breaking the patent.
I know of at least one person who has changed her mind, and in the process, opened her mind a little more than it previously was. She did not follow the code, and was only peripherally aware of the issues through hanging with me. The Swans support in August 15 against Adelaide piqued her interest, and she investigated from there. She was horrified!

She grew up in small country town where it was common to blame the kids from the mish (the mission for the local aboriginals, which btw had long ceased to exist) for anything and everything. She came to see that these kids had no hope from the start, and that most of their lives became self-fulling prophecies for the locals...

So yes, Adam Goodes standing tall has changed the life and attitude of at least one person... and this film is likely to change many more I think. Kudos to the film-makers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As mentioned above...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/we...t/news-story/51802aea83f7d725915ee427897c2c45

Wow. Too little too late IMO.

The damage has been done. This reeks purly of damage control IMO. In fact, the timing makes me even more filthy at the AFL... it takes all of this for them to FINALLY admit something that was so blatently clear back then?

Thriw all the money you want to seem like a good social citizen... You're inaction Gil clearly shows me the real character of the man & the organisation. I will always be disgusted at you no matter how you try to weasel your way out of it. Grub.
I fail to see why the Swans Club is apologising, or why they need to be included in that statement. It should be the AFL and 17 clubs...

There is no such thing as too little too late imo, always better to come and say, "Wow! I totally F***ED it! I'm very sorry." than to not say anything at all just because it happened in the past and can't be changed... but I do get the way you feel. I really want to feel their shame...

Most people in SE Asia are right then, aren't they! They'd know, they have to deal with us more than anyone else...

More than anything else, I think it's the shocking lack of respect in the way we treat people, and it's not just minorities, it's everyone... Remember when the American's were the worst tourists in the world? I think we've taken their mantle...

Most people in SE Asia are right then, aren't they! They'd know, they have to deal with us more than anyone else...

More than anything else, I think it's the shocking lack of respect in the way we treat people, and it's not just minorities, it's everyone... Remember when the American's were the worst tourists in the world? I think we've taken their mantle...
FFS it works both ways with Asians.

I saw The Final Quarter this morning and can only echo encouragement to see it.

A lot stuck out to me of course, but the thing which in the hour since I left the cinema which has resonated most for me was just what a decent man Adam Goodes is. That's only confirmation of what I knew to be true, but the grace and intelligence he carried himself with through that period is a shining indication of the person he is. An a great example for others to follow.

I also came out of it very proud of our club as a whole. I shed a few tears at points of being reminded of how the club/SCG crowds did what they could to show support for him. The club has been such a huge part of my life since I was a kid and Goodes himself has been a huge presence in my life - so that really hit home on a personal, emotional level.

More broadly, I think the film makes a really good account of the time without taking much at all out of context. Various high-profile media people feature prominently and I thought the makers of the film did a really good job at ensuring their words spoke for themselves. Some came out looking terrible. Some came out looking uneducated. Some came out looking a mix of the two along with somewhat redeeming moments. It was a nuanced depiction, which I think is a good way to describe the film more generally too.

I won't ruin the film for everyone; I'll just encourage you all to see it.

I know of at least one person who has changed her mind, and in the process, opened her mind a little more than it previously was. She did not follow the code, and was only peripherally aware of the issues through hanging with me. The Swans support in August 15 against Adelaide piqued her interest, and she investigated from there. She was horrified!

She grew up in small country town where it was common to blame the kids from the mish (the mission for the local aboriginals, which btw had long ceased to exist) for anything and everything. She came to see that these kids had no hope from the start, and that most of their lives became self-fulling prophecies for the locals...

So yes, Adam Goodes standing tall has changed the life and attitude of at least one person... and this film is likely to change many more I think. Kudos to the film-makers!
Thank you Kirkswan

Asians are every bit as racist as we are... maybe more so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back