Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Goodes was an absolute champion of the game. A credit to the Swans, and a credit to indigenous players.

What was done to him at the end of his career is an absolute disgrace, and an absolute bight on the mentality of crowd racism. I hope that it can be used as an opportunity to prevent this from happening in the future to any indigenous player, or indeed any indigenous person.

I would love to shake his hand.

Goodes was an absolute champion of the game. A credit to the Swans, and a credit to indigenous players.

What was done to him at the end of his career is an absolute disgrace, and an absolute bight on the mentality of crowd racism. I hope that it can be used as an opportunity to prevent this from happening in the future to any indigenous player, or indeed any indigenous person.

I would love to shake his hand.
Brilliantly said. Thanks for posting. You are welcome here any time.

I like retiring numbers for legends. Should be adopted here more often. Goodes absolutely deserves it.

I like retiring numbers for legends. Should be adopted here more often. Goodes absolutely deserves it.

Agreed

Hang his jersey from the roof of the SCG.

I'd love to see some statues devoted to our best (Sydney) Swans at the SCG. Roos is deservedly already there with the cup. Paul Kelly and Goodes should both be memorialised there too.

https://www.scgt.nsw.gov.au/heritage/scg-sports-sculptures/

1559549618414.jpeg

Director "The Final Quarter", Ian Darling said Goodes had told him he would watch the documentary only once.
"I think for Adam to have to relive what he went through was really very traumatic … not only was the booing incredibly difficult to live through again, but I think also the outpouring of support and love.
"Being the humble and gracious person he is, when he saw that support I think that was equally difficult to receive."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06...lores-racism-in-goodes-exit-from-afl/11176028

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Having not seen the doco yet, the reviews I've read say things started to get really bad the second time around after the dance against Carlton in 2015. Just to make this very clear, the booing never stopped after the Collingwood game. The booing of Goodes at the 2014 GF still angers me greatly, I will never forget or forgive what I saw and heard on that day, especially after the game talking to some Hawks fans.

The AFLPA have come out with a statement now in support of Goodesy and, as with most people in the industry or "involved" at the time, have said they wish they did more at the time.

I am so nervous about watching this but I think most of us here lived it more-so than your average Joe Blow or Jane Doe on the street - SO I don't think we'll be as surprised as some others... But I am nervous it will bring up that anger and sadness that's only really recently started to subside somewhat (but I guess that is the point right?).

What a bloody champion footy player and even better bloke we had. Damn we are lucky to have had him.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
still as many scummy comments out on social media
Yeh unfortunately. GTG words earlier are wonderful. I can see another onslaught against Adam, nothing's changed. The only thing that keeps me from going full pyscho is if one person can change their mind or opinion that's a good result. I not too optimistic beyond that. I'm closer to this than some for other reasons, respect to all who don't put up with the bullshit and say so. ECGAEAD, sorry Bedford for breaking the patent.

I think the majority of people do agree that the booing was wrong, but there's a significant vocal minority who will defend it or otherwise troll.

Is the MB thread as much of a shitfest as I imagine?

Back