Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see some statues devoted to our best (Sydney) Swans at the SCG. Roos is deservedly already there with the cup. Paul Kelly and Goodes should both be memorialised there too.
Goodes would be the first indigenous statue at SCG.

MAKE IT HAPPEN SWANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although it probably won’t happen as Alan Jones is still on SCG Trust!

And if he’s still on it after these documentaries are seen then shame SCG Trust. Shame on you.
:mbcircle::yellowheart::largeredcircle:
:largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

And if he’s still on it after these documentaries are seen then shame SCG Trust. Shame on you.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

There are many questions as to why Mark Ella retired at his powers when Jones was the coach of the Wallabies. The man is a ####! Do all you from down there know about Brian Smith?

Having not seen the doco yet, the reviews I've read say things started to get really bad the second time around after the dance against Carlton in 2015. Just to make this very clear, the booing never stopped after the Collingwood game. The booing of Goodes at the 2014 GF still angers me greatly, I will never forget or forgive what I saw and heard on that day, especially after the game talking to some Hawks fans.
The 2014 Grand Final was atrocious from the Hawthorn supporters around me too. I even went up to security to complain, but nothing was done. I even faced the Hawks supporters during the game and called them out, hoping to get in a fight and get them kicked out, but it only got louder and still nothing was done by security. It wasn't just booing, it was racist comments. I remember when the game had finished, some of them had the audacity to politely say "bad luck, better luck next year" but I just ignored them. Only one person apologised for the groups behaviour, which I thought was fine until they tried to put perspective on why it was done. So my wife told them "* off. You are a bunch of ******* racists." She doesn't normally swear :).

This person told me they were all a part of a facebook group apparently (called something 5). We were in the Swans assigned standing room only section, and it started off with only two Hawks supporters at the start of the game on their phones messaging, and as the game went on and the lead got bigger, more and more Hawthorn supporters came over until they were outnumbering us. It was a deliberate act of racism and really did show the horrible side of our human nature.

No wonder Goodesy just walked away from the game :(

The 2014 Grand Final was atrocious from the Hawthorn supporters around me too. I even went up to security to complain, but nothing was done. I even faced the Hawks supporters during the game and called them out, hoping to get in a fight and get them kicked out, but it only got louder and still nothing was done by security. It wasn't just booing, it was racist comments. I remember when the game had finished, some of them had the audacity to politely say "bad luck, better luck next year" but I just ignored them. Only one person apologised for the groups behaviour, which I thought was fine until they tried to put perspective on why it was done. So my wife told them "**** off. You are a bunch of ******* racists." She doesn't normally swear :).

This person told me they were all a part of a facebook group apparently (called something 5). We were in the Swans assigned standing room only section, and it started off with only two Hawks supporters at the start of the game on their phones messaging, and as the game went on and the lead got bigger, more and more Hawthorn supporters came over until they were outnumbering us. It was a deliberate act of racism and really did show the horrible side of our human nature.

Thanks kelpie. Ive tried to reply to your post several times and am struggling to add more. I'm not going to say what the racists *ers said or what I did in response. Respect kelpie.

I wonder if Dermie comes up in the documentaries, nothing in that period he can be proud of that’s for sure.

Think he will feature. Heard him on SEN earlier this week. He was very defensive. He had not seen it.

Many terrific posts in this thread. Goodonya Kapanis and Kelpie, your better half is a legend.

Do yourselves a favour, stay away from the mainboard thread.

Some peanuts whose IQ's are smaller than their shoe sizes.
OTOH the Reddit threads on the matter are mostly sympathetic to Goodes and rather balanced on the matter.

Do yourselves a favour, stay away from the mainboard thread.

Some peanuts whose IQ's are smaller than their shoe sizes.
I'm trying my best to have a conversation with them but it's a struggle.

I get if you didn't like Goodes for whatever reason but the willful ignorance about why he was so explicitly targeted amazes me.

I really hope the statue is of him doing the spear celebration against Carlton.

Australia needs a serious wake up call at all levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2014 Grand Final was atrocious from the Hawthorn supporters around me too. I even went up to security to complain, but nothing was done. I even faced the Hawks supporters during the game and called them out, hoping to get in a fight and get them kicked out, but it only got louder and still nothing was done by security. It wasn't just booing, it was racist comments. I remember when the game had finished, some of them had the audacity to politely say "bad luck, better luck next year" but I just ignored them. Only one person apologised for the groups behaviour, which I thought was fine until they tried to put perspective on why it was done. So my wife told them "**** off. You are a bunch of ******* racists." She doesn't normally swear :).

Yep. I was in that Bay that day as well and can confirm the racism directed at Goodes all day, lack of interest from security to get involved and that a group of Hawks fans took over a Swans allocated standing area because "that's where we always stand" and we "had no right to be there".

I didn't hear racist comments on the day where I was sitting, but their incessant booing of Goodes and the generally disrespectful and arrogant behaviour of the Hawks fans I was sitting near left an awfully bad taste in my mouth.

A significant part of the bad taste was how poorly our side played obviously, but the Hawks fans I was around that day were a masterclass in lacking class and/or respect.

AFL have released a statement re Goodes. About time but the sceptic in me says this is PR spin with how the film(s) will portray their lack of leadership when it was needed. Too little too late.

I'm happy with the statement, I don't think it could have been said any better. Yes there is an element of PR there given the timing, but I thought it came across as sincere.

Where can the documentary be watched?

Better late than never I suppose as far as the official apology from the AFL.

Hard to fathom that many still blame Adam for pointing out the girl in the crowd for calling him an ape.

Where can the documentary be watched?
It's at the film festival in Sydney this week I believe. Will be on free to air sometime in the near future.

There have been some incredible indigenous Aussies play on the SCG from various codes, non more deserving than a statue than Adam.

As mentioned above...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/we...t/news-story/51802aea83f7d725915ee427897c2c45

Wow. Too little too late IMO.

The damage has been done. This reeks purly of damage control IMO. In fact, the timing makes me even more filthy at the AFL... it takes all of this for them to FINALLY admit something that was so blatently clear back then?

Thriw all the money you want to seem like a good social citizen... You're inaction Gil clearly shows me the real character of the man & the organisation. I will always be disgusted at you no matter how you try to weasel your way out of it. Grub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back