Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

As mentioned above...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/we...t/news-story/51802aea83f7d725915ee427897c2c45

Wow. Too little too late IMO.

The damage has been done. This reeks purly of damage control IMO. In fact, the timing makes me even more filthy at the AFL... it takes all of this for them to FINALLY admit something that was so blatently clear back then?

Thriw all the money you want to seem like a good social citizen... You're inaction Gil clearly shows me the real character of the man & the organisation. I will always be disgusted at you no matter how you try to weasel your way out of it. Grub.
Agreed, if the doco never happened would the statement have happened, absolutely not. I was being polite earlier but will now say this is bullshit.

Agreed, if the doco never happened would the statement have happened, absolutely not. I was being polite earlier but will now say this is ********.

Absolutely spot on.

i feel uncomfortable with it all back up because i hate reading the negativity towards a champ and justification around it
Same, very much so. But it takes a bloody tough character to stand up and so no. Imagine how hard it has been for Adam, we have no idea what he's been through on a day to day basis.

Same, very much so. But it takes a bloody tough character to stand up and so no. Imagine how hard it has been for Adam, we have no idea what he's been through on a day to day basis.

this 100%

so brave to stand up in the face of it all

Agreed, if the doco never happened would the statement have happened, absolutely not. I was being polite earlier but will now say this is ********.

The timing is an absolute joke. McGuire has been running around in damage control mode as well.

Those humpty dumpties long fell off the wall.

im not a swans supporter but i have met Goodes a number of times, he truly is a really nice guy like Roger Federer is just a nice guy, my opinion on all this is racism stuff is that its getting to the stage where Goodes is getting stereotyped as a whinging aboriginal bitter with society that has never lifted a finger to help, where i dont think he is like that at all, i think a lot of outside influences are jumping on his bandwagon for the pursuit of there own agenda and careers and when they have finished with him they will spit him out and move onto the next bloke. It will be interesting to see where these people are in 10 years time?

im not a swans supporter but i have met Goodes a number of times, he truly is a really nice guy like Roger Federer is just a nice guy, my opinion on all this is racism stuff is that its getting to the stage where Goodes is getting stereotyped as a whinging aboriginal bitter with society that has never lifted a finger to help, where i dont think he is like that at all, i think a lot of outside influences are jumping on his bandwagon for the pursuit of there own agenda and careers and when they have finished with him they will spit him out and move onto the next bloke. It will be interesting to see where these people are in 10 years time?
Only sterotyped by the ignorant, bitter same types which have had the same agenda for a long time, it's not new. Who are these others you speak of? The doco maker? The AFL? The media?

Only sterotyped by the ignorant, bitter same types which have had the same agenda for a long time, it's not new. Who are these others you speak of? The doco maker? The AFL? The media?

The ones feathering their nest are Murdoch hacks and shock jocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The photo in that link of the Kangaroo supporters directing their hate towards Goodes is so telling. All in a gang mentality. Some of the faces on there are so filled with hate and some that wouldn't say boo to you in person. Cowards.
That's why you have to confront them Banyo, it's the only way, call it out like my Mrs at Metricon, so proud of my girl.

They kept going until they broke him Kap.
He has not been the same since.
People like Leigh Matthews should be ashamed of themselves but being an AFL legend trumps being a decent human in AFL land.

The photo in that link of the Kangaroo supporters directing their hate towards Goodes is so telling. All in a gang mentality. Some of the faces on there are so filled with hate and some that wouldn't say boo to you in person. Cowards.

Which link?

This whole thing is disgusting. The fact that it takes such documentaries to get anyone to sit up and notice, even if only for a while, is terribly sad and an embarrassment to our country.

I would hesitate to consider bringing this up to any of my friends outside of Australia, even just as a passionate conversation. It’s too disgraceful.

As far as arguing the point in the MB threads or on social media, it’s literally a waste of time. Some people will never change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which link?

This whole thing is disgusting. The fact that it takes such documentaries to get anyone to sit up and notice, even if only for a while, is terribly sad and an embarrassment to our country.

I would hesitate to consider bringing this up to any of my friends outside of Australia, even just as a passionate conversation. It’s too disgraceful.

As far as arguing the point in the MB threads or on social media, it’s literally a waste of time. Some people will never change.

Which link?

The afl.com link, the photo is there. I'm crapola at adding links.

ABC radio Hamish Macdonald talking to the director Ian Darling speaking with AFL's Head of InclusionTanya Hosch
'The Final Quarter' of Adam Goodes on RN Breakfast - Separate stories podcast
(13 mins)
https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pgR7qYZyr7?play=true

Some genuinely well spoken, intelligent conversation about a very sensitive topic.

I’ll admit I tear up randomly listening to every piece about this film.

They kept going until they broke him Kap.
He has not been the same since.
People like Leigh Matthews should be ashamed of themselves but being an AFL legend trumps being a decent human in AFL land.
Goodes is an AFL legend... but apparently for the wrong club & the wrong... "demographic" (some of the crap flying around again right now is disgusting... one bloke trying to tell me it's not "racist" but a "demographic issue"... ffs)

Which link?

Don't hesitate mate. Talk about it. As much as you can. It is disgraceful. But it is reality. We need to spread the fact that we are who we are as a Nation if any meaningful change is going to happen at all. It's hard. It's confronting. It's bloody uncomfortable & really embarassing... but those conversations are so so important I reckon mate.

I'm hopeful we won't see something like this happen again quite like it did with Goodes. The clubs, players and the AFL showing a united front now is at least something to take solace from.

I believe a lot of people when they say initially they weren't booing because of anything to do with his race or race-related matters - I believe a lot of people out there weren't booing out of underlying racism but just because other people were doing it and it's been part of the game they grew up with. They're not even thinking about it, it's just reactive to people around them doing it. The crowd boos a great player or a player who they don't like because they think he stages for free kicks. But it's hard to believe it was never race-related for anyone - given how it started when Goodes pointed at the girl in the crowd in 2013. His Australian of the Year award. His Carlton goal-celebration. It's all wrapped in race.

Was everyone in the 2014 GF crowd booing Goodes doing it because of his race? No I don't think so - I think some were and we've had reports from people at the game who heard racist remarks from Hawks fans to Goodes. But that Hawks crowd was feral for a number of reasons. They were the underdogs on the day to a team which was in the first year of having Franklin who had just left the Hawks, as well as having lost the 2012 GF to us so they were looking for pay back, giving the crowd an extra emotional charge - so I think it's quite reasonable to believe a bunch of Hawks fans heard others booing Goodes and just jumped on board as the day wore on and everything got better for their team and worse for ours.

But it's the length of time it went on for which really stings. It followed him until the day he retired. And people were still saying he did wrong by the Collingwood girl, still saying he was the villain despite in his press conference the next morning repeatedly saying to not blame her and that it wasn't her fault and that he wanted to speak to her about it. It showed a real nasty underside to football fans that they knew it was hurting him - not really affecting his play, which is a thing crowds try to do, to put a player off his game - it was really hurting him as a person. They saw it being extended to matters of his ethnicity and upbringing which are sensitive to him and really hurt him, and yet they continued. If anything, the boos got louder. And I know people don't like being told what to do by media members and the "elites" who they see as crying injustice unnecessarily, I get that. They didn't like being told they were racist when they didn't see themselves that way. And I truly believe a significant portion of booing wasn't being done explicitly for race-related reasons, it was for some a middle finger to people telling them what to do and think in what has become a typical Western way. But for not enough self-reflection to have gone on to suggest to people that it had gone too far and that they were making this guy's life worse by what they were doing - a truly historically great player of the game they would all say they love, no less - is still a bitter pill to swallow.

And it's extra bitter for us as Swans fans - he was always in my top 3 or so favourite players from when I was an 8 year old until he retired - but I'd like to think I'd maintain the bitterness ir it was a player from another club who experienced it.

I'm seeing The Final Quarter tomorrow morning - will report back what I think of it.

Last edited:
Which link?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06...angry-at-how-adam-goodes-was-treated/11185732

Remove this Banner Ad

Back