Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

If you read the comments in all the Facebook posts talking about Newman and adam goodes 90% of the comments agree with Newman and say Goodes was booed for being a flog.
Facebook/Twitter are the worst in issues like these. Especially Facebook.

Director didnt say anything about the phone call being angry, only the headline. He has every right to call up and ask why/how he is in the documentary.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Racism isn't being mean or rude to people who don't look like you. It's a structure that informs the whole realm of social relations. Race as an idea was created at about the time that whiteness was, as the scientific revolution was happening and to justify the colonial expansion that was needed for primative accumulation of capital at that time. That structure and it's ongoing impacts (booing indigenous people who speak back to the colony etc) is what the term racism can be usefully used to describe.
Asians are every bit as racist as we are... maybe more so.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Racism isn't being mean or rude to people who don't look like you. It's a structure that informs the whole realm of social relations. Race as an idea was created at about the time that whiteness was, as the scientific revolution was happening and to justify the colonial expansion that was needed for primative accumulation of capital at that time. That structure and it's ongoing impacts (booing indigenous people who speak back to the colony etc) is what the term racism can be usefully used to describe.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Racism is about prejudice, discrimination and superiority
It applies in countless variable scenarios

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I personally don't believe it was racist in the main . Have a look at Stratton , he should be booed forever for what he did. I believe Adam's war dance to the Carlton fans stirred it up and I just wish he's done it at our end . The AOY was more jealousy , but still in part racist .

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
someone needs to give SBD Gonzalez an award for their work on the main board goodes thread
Aw, thanks Kingy!

I just love Adam and want to defend what a bloody decent human being he is.

If peoples' sacred right to boo is really that important, there are so many more worthy recipients of it.

someone needs to give SBD Gonzalez an award for their work on the main board goodes thread

Agree. There is some legendary work going on.

It is heartening there are heaps of people from all Clubs who are joining the fight. Unhappily there is still a bit of red neckery around as well as some condescending shyte from some weak kneed small l lib types.

woops... that reminded me of one of my favourite songs. Click the link below. Some of the younger members of the Board may have had their grans sing this song to them. Almost 50 years old... satirises both rednecks and those small l libs who dont look in the backyard... Lester Maddox was a Bjelke-Petersen/Sam Newman type (thick and racist) Governor of Georgia.

" Rednecks "

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
I personally don't believe it was racist in the main . Have a look at Stratton , he should be booed forever for what he did. I believe Adam's war dance to the Carlton fans stirred it up and I just wish he's done it at our end . The AOY was more jealousy , but still in part racist .

The treatment was started by the right wing hate machine in Melbourne, and everyone else that joined in was amplifying and endorsing that hate campaign. I can accept that some initially was just unconsciously going along with the behaviour of others but by people 2015 knew it was racist abuse, and kept engaging in it.

In 2014, after Goodes won AOTY, Bolt, Panahi, the rest of the far right opinion makers, all attacked him. That year, he was booed loudly in Melbourne (at the Essendon and Hawthorn games and to an extent also at the Richmond and Bulldogs games) while not being booed at the West Coast and Port Adelaide home games. It was Melbourne-specific and was revved up by their specific media spheres. The 5% of the crowds who listen to those sorts of pundits started it, other people went along with it.

In 2015 it went national, spreading from those people to other parts of the country. People took their lead from a hateful campaign started in the Victorian press.

Now, many people who joined in initially had no coherent reason why they did it, they just went along with it. That's how crowds work. People's post-facto rationalisations of engaging in mob behaviour are usually unreliable.

But crucially, as it wore on, they were all repeatedly told it was being received as racial abuse, that it was hurtful. They were told these things by virtually every indigenous person in football and repeatedly asked to stop, and they elected to keep doing it. Their herd mentality and their stubbornness meant they made common cause with racists and they knowingly engaged in racial abuse. You know what we call people who help support and encourage racists, and who don't care enough to stop engaging in racial abuse after it's pointed out? I'm pretty comfortably calling that decision to keep going racism, and you should be too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
The treatment was started by the right wing hate machine in Melbourne, and everyone else that joined in was amplifying and endorsing that hate campaign. I can accept that some initially was just unconsciously going along with the behaviour of others but by people 2015 knew it was racist abuse, and kept engaging in it.

In 2014, after Goodes won AOTY, Bolt, Panahi, the rest of the far right opinion makers, all attacked him. That year, he was booed loudly in Melbourne (at the Essendon and Hawthorn games and to an extent also at the Richmond and Bulldogs games) while not being booed at the West Coast and Port Adelaide home games. It was Melbourne-specific and was revved up by their specific media spheres. The 5% of the crowds who listen to those sorts of pundits started it, other people went along with it.

In 2015 it went national, spreading from those people to other parts of the country. People took their lead from a hateful campaign started in the Victorian press.

Now, many people who joined in initially had no coherent reason why they did it, they just went along with it. That's how crowds work. People's post-facto rationalisations of engaging in mob behaviour are usually unreliable.

But crucially, as it wore on, they were all repeatedly told it was being received as racial abuse, that it was hurtful. They were told these things by virtually every indigenous person in football and repeatedly asked to stop, and they elected to keep doing it. Their herd mentality and their stubbornness meant they made common cause with racists and they knowingly engaged in racial abuse. You know what we call people who help support and encourage racists, and who don't care enough to stop engaging in racial abuse after it's pointed out? I'm pretty comfortably calling that decision to keep going racism, and you should be too.
I really couldn't give a rats about what you think and your Melbourne hatred comes out . I love Adam as a bloke and as a great of the game , but don't lecture me about what went on !

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

The West Coast game away was up there with some of the worst booing. It was an Australia wide thing but there are more teams in Melbourne thus more booing with the extra games played there.

When Shaun Burgoyne was breaking games records and being the first indigenous player to 400 games I couldnt help but rue the fact a little bit that it could/should have been Goodesy if none of the bullshit had started.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
At least Goodesy won’t be carrying any regret about his lack of support for a brother.
Felt that a bit at the time but I think a mark of Goodsey's greatness is he never bitched about a lack of support from indigenous brothers or sisters. A few, like Eddie Betts, have regretted that they didn't say more but sticking your head above the parapet is a lot more easily said than done.
I was totally wrapped in what Jesinta Franklin had to say at the time. Eloquent and very forthright. Gutsy as hell.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Felt that a bit at the time but I think a mark of Goodsey's greatness is he never bitched about a lack of support from indigenous brothers or sisters. A few, like Eddie Betts, have regretted that they didn't say more but sticking your head above the parapet is a lot more easily said than done.
I was totally wrapped in what Jesinta Franklin had to say at the time. Eloquent and very forthright. Gutsy as hell.
I have always felt that it would have only taken a couple of acts from his fellow indigenous brothers which would have stopped this.
Imagine if Cyril had of come out on to the ground at half time and said that "I disgusted with the booing of Adam Goodes. I see it as nothing but being racist and I take great offence to it. If it continues after half time, I will walk off the ground". Do you think Hawthorn supporters would have continued.
Same could be said of all the great indigenous players from opposition clubs.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I have always felt that it would have only taken a couple of acts from his fellow indigenous brothers which would have stopped this.
Imagine if Cyril had of come out on to the ground at half time and said that "I disgusted with the booing of Adam Goodes. I see it as nothing but being racist and I take great offence to it. If it continues after half time, I will walk off the ground". Do you think Hawthorn supporters would have continued.
Same could be said of all the great indigenous players from opposition clubs.
Potential here for quite a long thread about a very knotty subject. You may be right but I don't believe the fight against racism should fall solely on indigenous shoulders. The AFL and clubs failed totally in their reactions. Afraid to alienate their bases. Heads in the sand.
Even the Swans should have done more. I was proud of our supporters though and still have my #37 T-shirt.

Back