Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential here for quite a long thread about a very knotty subject. You may be right but I don't believe the fight against racism should fall solely on indigenous shoulders. The AFL and clubs failed totally in their reactions. Afraid to alienate their bases. Heads in the sand.
Even the Swans should have done more. I was proud of our supporters though and still have my #37 T-shirt.
As much as we may say that The AFL should have done more, the reality is - what could they have actually done to stop it?
Telling people they shouldn't do something is not necessarily going to make them stop doing it. In fact, it would have probably only made it worse.
Your right in saying that it shouldn't fall solely on the shoulders of fellow indigenous players but they were the most likely to have the desired result.

As much as we may say that The AFL should have done more, the reality is - what could they have actually done to stop it?
Telling people they shouldn't do something is not necessarily going to make them stop doing it. In fact, it would have probably only made it worse.
Your right in saying that it shouldn't fall solely on the shoulders of fellow indigenous players but they were the most likely to have the desired result.
All over now. We'll never know. Just such a damned shame.

I was watching 'I'm a celebrity' and daicos was telling a story about how he always makes time to greet fans and sign autographs, and instilled that in his sons. He told a story about seeing Goodes and a bunch of other players (at some awards ceremony or something), so he went over to goodes with a footy and asked for a signature for his sons. Goodes was like, yeah sure, and asked how many sons do you have, he said 2, josh and nick. Goodes reached over to the table and grabbed another footy and said, here, this ones for Josh and Nick can have the other. The way he recounted the story showed it left a big impression on him. He captured Goodes intonation perfectly when recounting the story.

Edit: move this to past players thread if it doesn't belong here.

I was watching 'I'm a celebrity' and daicos was telling a story about how he always makes time to greet fans and sign autographs, and instilled that in his sons. He told a story about seeing Goodes and a bunch of other players (at some awards ceremony or something), so he went over to goodes with a footy and asked for a signature for his sons. Goodes was like, yeah sure, and asked how many sons do you have, he said 2, josh and nick. Goodes reached over to the table and grabbed another footy and said, here, this ones for Josh and Nick can have the other. The way he recounted the story showed it left a big impression on him. He captured Goodes intonation perfectly when recounting the story.

Edit: move this to past players thread if it doesn't belong here.
And that's what Adam was like , great post

And that's what Adam was like , great post

One of my all time favourite memories was with Goodes.

I would have been 14 and was getting his signature at a fan event.

Told him he was my favourite player and I had been trying to mimic his kicking style on the run so asked for some advice (I was quick but struggled for control at pace, Goodes had this in spades).

He told me to wait 5 minutes then kicked the ball with me for about 10 minutes afterwards giving me some instructions.

One of my all time favourite memories was with Goodes.

I would have been 14 and was getting his signature at a fan event.

Told him he was my favourite player and I had been trying to mimic his kicking style on the run so asked for some advice (I was quick but struggled for control at pace, Goodes had this in spades).

He told me to wait 5 minutes then kicked the ball with me for about 10 minutes afterwards giving me some instructions.
What an absolute legend

What an absolute legend
At the first Paul Kelly Cup (1998) my son was playing and we got chatting with the three Swans players who had come down to watch (Kelly came later and chatted with him too).
Mickey O, Robbie Ahmat and a young reserves player Adam Goodes. Mickey told us that Adam was going to be the best player the Swans ever had. Prescient. Lovely chatting with a twelve year old and his dad.

At the first Paul Kelly Cup (1998) my son was playing and we got chatting with the three Swans players who had come down to watch (Kelly came later and chatted with him too).
Mickey O, Robbie Ahmat and a young reserves player Adam Goodes. Mickey told us that Adam was going to be the best player the Swans ever had. Prescient. Lovely chatting with a twelve year old and his dad.

Such good people.

Should've named that new stand they built at SCG after him. But, too many cricket nuffies on the board that don't care for AFL
If the great Paul Kelly only gets a tunnel named after him, I won't be holding my breath for Goodesy to be getting anything named after him anytime soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sydney what Ground?
Yes of course the ground was originally established as a cricket ground, but it's been our home ground for 40 years as well and we're probably the biggest tenants. Already just about all stands are cricket related, we should be entitled to one as well?

Yes of course the ground was originally established as a cricket ground, but it's been our home ground for 40 years as well and we're probably the biggest tenants. Already just about all stands are cricket related, we should be entitled to one as well?
Cricket:
O'Reilly
Trumper
Bradman
Noble
Rugby League:
Dally Messenger (a tiny stand under the scoreboard)
Clive Churchill
Other:
Brewongle
Members
Ladies

Best bet is to change Brewongle or Ladies

Cricket:
O'Reilly
Trumper
Bradman
Noble
Rugby League:
Dally Messenger (a tiny stand under the scoreboard)
Clive Churchill
Other:
Brewongle
Members
Ladies

Best bet is to change Brewongle or Ladies
They will never change the Ladies stand, Brewongle would be the only chance.

They will never change the Ladies stand, Brewongle would be the only chance.

I reckon there is 0 chance that they rename it considering it is the local indigenous name for the area (I think?)

The better solution is to just change the name of the stand when the swans play there.

iirc there's some stadium somewhere that has the same stand with 5 different names depending on who is playing there.

I reckon there is 0 chance that they rename it considering it is the local indigenous name for the area (I think?)

The better solution is to just change the name of the stand when the swans play there.

iirc there's some stadium somewhere that has the same stand with 5 different names depending on who is playing there.
No it isn't, the SCG is on Gadigal land. Brewongle is a little town out Bathurst way, what the connection is to the SCG is anybody's guess.
In reality it's never going to happen.

In the spirit of reflecting on Goodes, I met him once at a nightclub when I was around 21 and he was there with some mates. I was terrified to approach him but eventually I went up to him whilst he was waiting for a drink at the bar, told him how much of a fan I was all my life. He shook my hand, asked my name, gave me a hug and went back to his table. For him, he’ll probably never recall it but for me at that time it made the biggest impression on me that he would show such genuine grace and kindness to some random guy at a bar when he’s out with his mates.

No it isn't, the SCG is on Gadigal land. Brewongle is a little town out Bathurst way, what the connection is to the SCG is anybody's guess.
In reality it's never going to happen.
Here you go Jewels - SMH, 12 years ago:

FINALLY, it seems, the mystery of how the Brewongle Stand at the Sydney Cricket Ground got its name has been solved.
For several generations, cricket-goers have wondered why it was not named, like most of the other stands, after a hero of yesteryear like Don Bradman, Bill O'Reilly, M.A. ''Monty'' Noble and Victor Trumper.
Camping place ... the original Brewongle Stand in 1977.

"Camping place" ... the original Brewongle Stand in 1977.
Traditionally, the favourite theory has been that the name ''brewongle'', an aboriginal word for ''camping place'', simply reflected the indigenous people's connection with the area.
Then, in the 1990s, it was discovered in SCG Trust minutes that the stand unofficially came to be called ''the Brewongle'' after a popular tea room of the same name operating within.

Only now has the full story - or almost all of it - been pieced together by writer and cricket historian Phil Derriman, largely through the National Library of Australia's Trove collection of old newspapers.
Writing in the latest SCG members' diary, he reveals that an existing tea room had indeed been taken over in 1894 by two women, presumably sisters, referred to as Misses A. and M.Lee. They renamed it Brewongle.
Though they were only referred to in print by their initials, Derriman believes they were Alice and May, unmarried daughters of a wealthy grazier, Thomas Lee, who owned a big property outside Brewongle, near Bathurst.
When, later in life, Mr Lee moved to Sydney he settled in a house in Double Bay, which in turn was named Brewongle. He died there in 1893. ''How his death affected his daughters Alice and May is anyone's guess,'' says Derriman.
''But it's at least reasonable to speculate that it encouraged them to become financially independent by starting a business. In the following year, as we've seen, Misses A. and M.Lee took over the tea room at the SCG and named it Brewongle, thereby ensuring that the SCG's main grandstand would one day be named Brewongle, too.''

Were they Alice and May? To Derriman it certainly seems so, though it has still to be positively confirmed for the ''final piece of the Brewongle puzzle to fall in place''.

In a nutshell, named after the town near Bathurst, current population 124.
Don't know how that town was named.

Here you go Jewels - SMH, 12 years ago:

FINALLY, it seems, the mystery of how the Brewongle Stand at the Sydney Cricket Ground got its name has been solved.
For several generations, cricket-goers have wondered why it was not named, like most of the other stands, after a hero of yesteryear like Don Bradman, Bill O'Reilly, M.A. ''Monty'' Noble and Victor Trumper.
Camping place ... the original Brewongle Stand in 1977.

"Camping place" ... the original Brewongle Stand in 1977.
Traditionally, the favourite theory has been that the name ''brewongle'', an aboriginal word for ''camping place'', simply reflected the indigenous people's connection with the area.
Then, in the 1990s, it was discovered in SCG Trust minutes that the stand unofficially came to be called ''the Brewongle'' after a popular tea room of the same name operating within.

Only now has the full story - or almost all of it - been pieced together by writer and cricket historian Phil Derriman, largely through the National Library of Australia's Trove collection of old newspapers.
Writing in the latest SCG members' diary, he reveals that an existing tea room had indeed been taken over in 1894 by two women, presumably sisters, referred to as Misses A. and M.Lee. They renamed it Brewongle.
Though they were only referred to in print by their initials, Derriman believes they were Alice and May, unmarried daughters of a wealthy grazier, Thomas Lee, who owned a big property outside Brewongle, near Bathurst.
When, later in life, Mr Lee moved to Sydney he settled in a house in Double Bay, which in turn was named Brewongle. He died there in 1893. ''How his death affected his daughters Alice and May is anyone's guess,'' says Derriman.
''But it's at least reasonable to speculate that it encouraged them to become financially independent by starting a business. In the following year, as we've seen, Misses A. and M.Lee took over the tea room at the SCG and named it Brewongle, thereby ensuring that the SCG's main grandstand would one day be named Brewongle, too.''

Were they Alice and May? To Derriman it certainly seems so, though it has still to be positively confirmed for the ''final piece of the Brewongle puzzle to fall in place''.

In a nutshell, named after the town near Bathurst, current population 124.
Don't know how that town was named.
Thank you Mr Crust. I had always wondered why it was called Brewongle and, up until they started doing the Welcome to Country, had presumed (like others it seems) that it was the indigenous name for the area, now we know.
Mystery solved!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back