Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
My thoughts on the whole Goodes farewell to the game debate:

Why should he say farewell at the Brownlow for the benefit of the AFL when they were too slow to act to the booing???
Why should he do a lap of the MCG on Grand Final Day to say farewell when the likelihood is the two support bases there that day were the worst clubs with the booing???
If he wants to say farewell (and it is his decision after all) wouldn't he rather say farewell to those supporters who stuck by him, his own and at the SCG.

This isn't something to be owned by the AFL or Victoria but by Adam, the Swans and Sydney as a city.

That is really far more important
Well said Robbie. He owes them nothing.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Possible, although it may not be a stand, just the way that it is. For the record I would refrain from voting as I always have with stands/etc. However if they want a Goodes stand, I am all for it, just not sure how you differentiate between say Kelly, Goodes, Skilton, etc. Almost rather them name a changeroom or something like that, quite small, but a nice tribute.

Well Skilton never played at the SCG so that in itself should disqualify him from contention.

And between Kelly and Goodes, I think Goodes wins. Not by a huge margin, but not by a single vote either.

Well Skilton never played at the SCG so that in itself should disqualify him from contention.

And between Kelly and Goodes, I think Goodes wins. Not by a huge margin, but not by a single vote either.

Depends, it honestly is very tough. AFL is actually a very hard sport to say this person is better than that person, etc. Very much more a team sport. Cricket whilst it is a team sport, the records are fairly individual. You either got hundreds or you didn't, there isn't a middle ground!

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Depends, it honestly is very tough. AFL is actually a very hard sport to say this person is better than that person, etc. Very much more a team sport. Cricket whilst it is a team sport, the records are fairly individual. You either got hundreds or you didn't, there isn't a middle ground!

I know what you meant but even in the quantifiable achievements of both, Goodes comes up trumps just IMO.

Goodes: 372 games (games record holder), 464 goals, 4 AA's, 2 Brownlows, 2 Premierships, 4 B&F's, 4 years of captaincy

Kelly: 234 games, 200 goals, 3 AA's, 1 Brownlow, 0 Premierships, 4 B&F's, 10 years of inspired captaincy

None of this is to denigrate Kelly, believe me. It's close between the two of them. But I think Goodes' contribution to the Swans and the SCG has been a bit greater than Kelly's. They're the only two in the conversation for me though.

I know what you meant but even in the quantifiable achievements of both, Goodes comes up trumps just IMO.

Goodes: 372 games (games record holder), 464 goals, 4 AA's, 2 Brownlows, 2 Premierships, 4 B&F's, 4 years of captaincy

Kelly: 234 games, 200 goals, 3 AA's, 1 Brownlow, 0 Premierships, 4 B&F's, 10 years of inspired captaincy

None of this is to denigrate Kelly, believe me. It's close between the two of them. But I think Goodes' contribution to the Swans and the SCG has been a bit greater than Kelly's. They're the only two in the conversation for me though.

Yes look don't get me wrong, not putting either one down. I just feel AFL is so hard to split your best of the best so to speak. I would be happy if the Swans got a stand, regardless of who that player is. I just know the SCG Trust (being a lifetime member does that unfortunately)...and every time it comes up the same excuses come out...'how is he better than that bloke, etc'.

For the record I feel the SCG will honour Goodes, I don't know how though. this is one case where whatever they decide I'm happy for it.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods

Totally agree it's between Kelly and Goodes since the move to Sydney. We've had some great players up here - but the guys most feted like Healy, Diesel, Plugger etc all came to us from other clubs for limited stints, or left the club.

Goodes and Kelly were one club champions.

I saw Kelly from go to woe. There was a time when it felt as if Kelly was holding the club together personally. The club made him a captain during the dark days - which gives you an indication of the guy's presence. The entire team were prepared to basically back a kid for the captaincy because he was already an onfield leader.

He was captain in his third year. Won a brownlow in his fifth. The awe some might feel watching Parker today was exactly what Kelly brought to the table. He was determined. So much so that he was winning the most courageous player award while Voss was in full flight. No mean feat.

But Kel was not a patch on the footballer Goodes has been. His skills were rough as guts. Kirky-like. Goodesey's ability at its best was sublime. And while Kel inspired through deeds, Goodes was also a communicator - as powerful off the ball, and off the field, as on. Goodes was a leader and mentor (and not just to a few dozen footy players, but to the larger indigenous population and eventually to large swathes of enlightened Australia in general).

Goodes, Skilton (I bow to the shadow this man's legacy casts over the club), and Kelly...how lucky we've been.

Hopefully there are a couple of blokes running around for us now who could reach those heights given another half a career. :thumbsu:

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Yes look don't get me wrong, not putting either one down. I just feel AFL is so hard to split your best of the best so to speak. I would be happy if the Swans got a stand, regardless of who that player is. I just know the SCG Trust (being a lifetime member does that unfortunately)...and every time it comes up the same excuses come out...'how is he better than that bloke, etc'.

For the record I feel the SCG will honour Goodes, I don't know how though. this is one case where whatever they decide I'm happy for it.

Might have to dump Alan Jones from the Trust first. He thinks Goodes just plays the victim o_O

Might have to dump Alan Jones from the Trust first. He thinks Goodes just plays the victim o_O

Luckily usually the board members abstain from voting but yes I get your point.

Really hope the SCG does something, even a statue would be a wonderful tribute.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
It would be great to name a stand after a Swans player. We're part of the fabric of the SCG now. Looking for nominees, it'd be Goodes then daylight for me.

It would be great to name a stand after a Swans player. We're part of the fabric of the SCG now. Looking for nominees, it'd be Goodes then daylight for me.

It is just hard to get it past. Unfortunately the issue is there are a LOT of cricketers who haven't got stands, etc yet and the people that vote tend to vote for the cricketers. I don't have an issue with it. I would rather a changeroom or a statue anyway. Maybe have a seasonal stand, changing the name to Goodes' Stand during AFL season. Honestly I don't know.

Bottom line, something will be done.

A bob skilton wing and an Adam goodes end (like eit

Kell has the race so maybe Goodesy can have an "end" like they do at telstra dome for plug

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Might have to dump Jones in Syria, absolute low life rat

Great idea

If nothing else it would be entertaining watching him try to apply his plagiarized knowledge of Frederick Forsyth novels set in the middle east in the hope it will save him.

disgruntled goat

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Champion in every sense of the word on and off the field and a legend of our club.

Yep, he's a true Swans and foootball legend, and it's an absolute fckng disgrace what he's had to endure, an indictment on every fckng tool who tried to rationalise their own treatment of him, or indeed the whole saga. No individual player in the history of the game has had to cop the intense, deeply personal weekly abuse, and whatever other teams' fans might claim he did to "offend" them, there has been far, far worse behaviour, on and off the field over the years, and not ONE other player has come in for the same vilification.

This whole thing still enrages me, and has been a large contributor to my growing indifference to football generally ... and the classic example: wayne carey ... phhaaaaarrrrk! Just the thought of what that grotesque turd of a man did during and after his playing career (great as that was), on and off field, and yet he's still feted by the likes of brereton and others who continue to malign Goodes. ... FCK, sorry, I struggle to put into words the contempt I feel towards those who have continued to justify the anti-Goodes sentiment ...

I'm not going to the GF this year, but it's really disappointing that Adam does not feel comfortable to do the lap on the 'G.
For anyone to not cheer a legitimate legend of the game because of some parochial allegiance is simply unaustralian.

At least he'll get a chance for recognition as a Hall of Fame inductee, which surely won't be far away...

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Just to clarify, Goodes never actually gave a reason for not doing the lap of honour at the MCG. Not every retiring player does it. For all we know (and I dearly hope that this is the case) he could just be the type that prefers to retire quietly, as he did after we lost the semi-final. Of course I'd love to see him there on grand final day but it's his choice not to be there and I respect that.

Just to clarify, Goodes never actually gave a reason for not doing the lap of honour at the MCG. Not every retiring player does it. For all we know (and I dearly hope that this is the case) he could just be the type that prefers to retire quietly, as he did after we lost the semi-final. Of course I'd love to see him there on grand final day but it's his choice not to be there and I respect that.

Spot on

He may of regardless of anything (say he never got booed ever) retired after a game quietly

He has always been humble

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, he's a true Swans and foootball legend, and it's an absolute fckng disgrace what he's had to endure, an indictment on every fckng tool who tried to rationalise their own treatment of him, or indeed the whole saga. No individual player in the history of the game has had to cop the intense, deeply personal weekly abuse, and whatever other teams' fans might claim he did to "offend" them, there has been far, far worse behaviour, on and off the field over the years, and not ONE other player has come in for the same vilification.

This whole thing still enrages me, and has been a large contributor to my growing indifference to football generally ... and the classic example: wayne carey ... phhaaaaarrrrk! Just the thought of what that grotesque turd of a man did during and after his playing career (great as that was), on and off field, and yet he's still feted by the likes of brereton and others who continue to malign Goodes. ... FCK, sorry, I struggle to put into words the contempt I feel towards those who have continued to justify the anti-Goodes sentiment ...
I am with you 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back