Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

I'm sad that he feels that way, despite all of this he is still loved by many in the AFL community. Part of me is disappointed he's let it get to him - I kind of want him to say, f them, I'm proud of who I am, they can boo all they want, I don't care. If Clarko had been our coach when this happened he probably would have used it as fuel to motivate the team and create an 'us against them' mindset.

Last edited:
Horse's speech and Goodes' speech made me realise how much he will be missed around the club. Such a good bloke.

Should rename the POTY after Goodesy.
4 time winner including the inaugural one.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
In the Age today an article quoted Goodes as saying he had no intention of coming back after the WC game. But the way the scg fans and the team rallied in that Adel game compelled him to finish the year.

In a sense it adds to the devastation knowing the depth of his pain. But in another way it affirms my belief that the Sydney faithful kept his spirits high. At least we tried.

Hope that ovation third quarter 7th minute vs Adel keeps him smiling into old age.

In the Age today an article quoted Goodes as saying he had no intention of coming back after the WC game. But the way the scg fans and the team rallied in that Adel game compelled him to finish the year.

In a sense it adds to the devastation knowing the depth of his pain. But in another way it affirms my belief that the Sydney faithful kept his spirits high. At least we tried.

Hope that ovation third quarter 7th minute vs Adel keeps him smiling into old age.
Can hand on my heart say that was one of the most proud of this club moments I think I've ever been so privledged to have seen let alone be a part of. What a showing of support, love & respect for Adam. I'm so thankful to hear that it actually had a positive impact on him & helped (in part) him to overcome the negativity & play out the season.

You are a freakin legend Adam. We all love you like a brother. Thank you so much for everything. Enjoy "retirement" mate.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm so glad he found it in himself to finish off the season. It gave the fans once last chance to see the great man in action. And he put on some great performances that reminded us all what he was capable of. His 2 finals had me wanting him to go around again in 20 16 tbh.

I'm really disappointed in the wider footy community and disappointed at race relations in Australia. I ask myself how a great person like Adam can be made out to be a villain. I'm disappointed at factions of the footy media who held on to the right to boo. Even though it was clear as day that there was a significant racial element.

It just goes to show that there's a lot more work to do to educate people and that the government needs to put more money into initiatives.

I feel bad for goodes because he became the whipping boy for a lot of issues that all culminated in the persistent booing. There's the racial element, him being seen as outspoken (which is an extension of the racist element ). The anti sydney / anti cola sentiment that was very strong at the time. Winning Australian of the year. Then there were the old protected species / sniping claims that carried on. He had just about everything working against him.

All the best goodesie, thanks for the memories. Dual Brownlow, dual premiership winning superstar, amongst a list of other accolades. I'm privileged to have watched you run out in red and white for the last 2 decades.

Legend

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ran into this on twitter. Thought you'd appreciate it. Sorry if it has already been posted.

CRKz3KxUkAAl9-5.png

Looks like Goodesy is a DJS instead of Myer kinda bloke........

First "official" "job" since retiring and it's still just as bad as it was a few months ago FFS.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsb...-attacked-online-over-adam-goodes-appointment

You'd think that after hanging the boots up and no longer being a "opposition player" the hoards of ignorant, idiotic, boorish filth would quieten down.

I hope they all get tasered in the gooly bits at their next "reclaim Australia" rally the scum.

The comments section of the dj ad on facebook was full of racist bogans and general pond scum, they are not excused.

But the biggest blame in all the Goodes issues lays with the media, check news.com to see why. They give it airtime ffs, give me people their fame

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like Goodesy is a DJS instead of Myer kinda bloke........

First "official" "job" since retiring and it's still just as bad as it was a few months ago FFS.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsb...-attacked-online-over-adam-goodes-appointment

You'd think that after hanging the boots up and no longer being a "opposition player" the hoards of ignorant, idiotic, boorish filth would quieten down.

I hope they all get tasered in the gooly bits at their next "reclaim Australia" rally the scum.

That is seriously the most ordinary thing I've ever read. I never thought that there was a seriously racist undertone to the booing (more so a 'tell me not to boo and I'll boo more' mindset) but after it was obvious there could potentially be a racist stigma attached, people should have just stopped. It really makes me disappointed in this country. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm surrounded by intelligent enough people that I haven't heard anything racist in over 10 years, but this is the sad reminder it's still there. Do opposition fans follow Luke Hodge around with his drink driving? If he was to be an ambassador would comments be filled about that? It's sad that people still take issue with someone overtly standing up for what they believe in over a drink driver.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
That is seriously the most ordinary thing I've ever read. I never thought that there was a seriously racist undertone to the booing (more so a 'tell me not to boo and I'll boo more' mindset) but after it was obvious there could potentially be a racist stigma attached, people should have just stopped. It really makes me disappointed in this country. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm surrounded by intelligent enough people that I haven't heard anything racist in over 10 years, but this is the sad reminder it's still there. Do opposition fans follow Luke Hodge around with his drink driving? If he was to be an ambassador would comments be filled about that? It's sad that people still take issue with someone overtly standing up for what they believe in over a drink driver.
There was always a racial undertone to what happened. It was white Australia's way of saying we don't want to hear about the indigenous history of this country.

There were a hundred 'reasons' for the booing, but the energy that underpinned it was racism.

I asked myself an honest question

If Adam Goodes was not a swans player how would I feel about it all. Because sometimes the reaction to me is that i am just bias because he is a swans player

I honestly feel that it makes no difference. Maybe it does amplify the individual case a bit but i am just dissapointed in how pathetic such a large loud portion of society are about so many issues

Guys that have a history of drug abuse, alcoholism, and domestic violence (e.g. glassing their partners in the face) get a better run in most sections of the public and select sections of the media than Adam does. It's unbelievable that it's not seen for what it is. To call it anything other than what it is is to prevent us from moving forward as a society.

Making excuses for our actions and reactions rather than learning from the way we talk, think, feel and emote to become better as individuals and as society is the issue IMO.

The pack mentality is what those that incite this bigotry, hatred & racism thrive off of. They make other excuses as to why it's not racist but ultimately the hatred is fuelled by something more than Adam taking a dive here or there on the footy field. This level of hatred and abuse stems from something more than his style of play or demeanour on the footy field. His "character" or "ego" are terms used to cover the critsim that an aboriginal man is proud of who he is, his people, his culture and is willing to display this proudly and publicly.

It all stems from peoples unwillingness to open themselves up and be honest with themselves and those around them as to their values, beliefs and understanding with regards to cultural diversity and reconciliation in Australia. Adam wants to open up this dialogue and a large proportion of Australia is pushing back hard against it.

I would suggest that a lot of people critical of Adam wouldn't even know what they are feeling is actually stemming from an ingrained racism. It's not racist because you meant it to be or not, it's racist if those victimised feel singled out due to their race.

That an indigenous man stood up and pointed a girl out for being racist, he stood up again in displaying his pride in a war dance... It goes against the grain of what is "normal" and some people don't want to hear or see it. They are happier and feel safer living life without hearing about our countrys horrible past and dark disturbing future should we continue to neglect and refuse to help our indigenous population close the gap and join the majority of the population in having better health, education and opportunity.

Last edited:

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I asked myself an honest question

If Adam Goodes was not a swans player how would I feel about it all. Because sometimes the reaction to me is that i am just bias because he is a swans player

I honestly feel that it makes no difference. Maybe it does amplify the individual case a bit but i am just dissapointed in how pathetic such a large loud portion of society are about so many issues

Similar to when Nicky Winmar pulled up his jumper to show the colour of his skin.
I was disgusted at what the crowd had been doing.to him & it really raised my awareness.

Back