Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

The great man was officially inducted into our hall of fame as a legend last night at the guernsey presentation dinner.

Never in any doubt :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Best footballer I've seen in my lifetime.
I liked this because it’s your lifetime but there have been some beauties around the same time such as Lockett and Kelly. It’s all objective/subjective of course because of the way you value those players with their contributions on the field at the relevant time of our footballing successes, isn’t it?

Absolute gun!

I liked this because it’s your lifetime but there have been some beauties around the same time such as Lockett and Kelly. It’s all objective/subjective of course because of the way you value those players with their contributions on the field at the relevant time of our footballing successes, isn’t it?

Absolute gun!

Exactly, I can only comment on those that have been around in my lifetime, hence I can't even really talk about Lockett or Kelly. But I have seen the highlight reels from many pre-Goodes players and I have to say none are as vast or as diverse in their range of talents as Goodes' is. And if a highlight reel doesn't show your array of talents, what will?

Exactly, I can only comment on those that have been around in my lifetime, hence I can't even really talk about Lockett or Kelly. But I have seen the highlight reels from many pre-Goodes players and I have to say none are as vast or as diverse in their range of talents as Goodes' is. And if a highlight reel doesn't show your array of talents, what will?
It’s ok to watch highlight reels but watching the HD version is not always as good as SD! Let’s be honest, as much as Goodes was an absolute champion, he also played in a fantastic era for our club and it’s probably fair to say that things came easier through game day opportunities. It’s harder when you’re a cellar dweller. I will say this, it would be a magical footballer to surpass Lockett on pure skill and I just missed the great Bobby Skilton, who I’m told was just a freak!

It’s ok to watch highlight reels but watching the HD version is not always as good as SD! Let’s be honest, as much as Goodes was an absolute champion, he also played in a fantastic era for our club and it’s probably fair to say that things came easier through game day opportunities. It’s harder when you’re a cellar dweller. I will say this, it would be a magical footballer to surpass Lockett on pure skill and I just missed the great Bobby Skilton, who I’m told was just a freak!

I have it on good authority (My grandfather) that Bobby Skilton was the best footballer ever. And he has no reason to lie as a Carlton-turned-West Coast fan!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am old enough and lucky enough to have watched Bobby run around for us. The memories of his efforts still make me grin.

Goodes film highlights an uncomfortable and ugly truth of AFL
AFL elites love to ridicule rugby league.
Most of these elites are Victorians and blindly believe “their game” is far superior in every facet. It’s wrong, of course. And silly.
And in one area, rugby league has it all over the archaic AFL: acceptance of race.
On June 7, a documentary titled The Final Quarter will be released at the Sydney Film Festival. It’s about the shocking racism faced by 372-game Sydney Swans legend Adam Goodes, who was booed out of the sport in 2015 after tackling the abuse thrown at him on the field. The abuse came from fans.

Goodes famously won two Brownlow Medals and two premierships.
Comments about his Aboriginality and race relations made after he was named Australian of the Year in 2014 were the forerunners to abuse levelled at him by opposition fans – particularly in Melbourne.
The booing was the result of an attitude by some fans that, as an Indigenous champion, he was welcome to play the game and win Brownlows, but he had better keep his mouth shut while he did it.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/go...le-and-ugly-truth-of-afl-20190524-p51qto.html

Goodes film highlights an uncomfortable and ugly truth of AFL
AFL elites love to ridicule rugby league.
Most of these elites are Victorians and blindly believe “their game” is far superior in every facet. It’s wrong, of course. And silly.
And in one area, rugby league has it all over the archaic AFL: acceptance of race.
On June 7, a documentary titled The Final Quarter will be released at the Sydney Film Festival. It’s about the shocking racism faced by 372-game Sydney Swans legend Adam Goodes, who was booed out of the sport in 2015 after tackling the abuse thrown at him on the field. The abuse came from fans.

Goodes famously won two Brownlow Medals and two premierships.
Comments about his Aboriginality and race relations made after he was named Australian of the Year in 2014 were the forerunners to abuse levelled at him by opposition fans – particularly in Melbourne.
The booing was the result of an attitude by some fans that, as an Indigenous champion, he was welcome to play the game and win Brownlows, but he had better keep his mouth shut while he did it.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/go...le-and-ugly-truth-of-afl-20190524-p51qto.html
They tried to deny him legend-hood, and by their own efforts, they have created a legend that will be remembered throughout AFL history, to their shame!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back