Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking people educate themselves is not stretching social harmony.

This is one element of the kick back to criticism of Goodes' that I've found both arrogant and misguided. For anyone who finds any element of Goodes' war cry inappropriate, they are simply told they are insensitive and require education. That's it. End of diologue. There is no meeting of minds; no openness to any but one point of view. This attitude definitely stretches socially harmony IMO and it pervades much of what Goodes says.

This is one element of the kick back to criticism of Goodes' that I've found both arrogant and misguided. For anyone who finds any element of Goodes' war cry inappropriate, they are simply told they are insensitive and require education. That's it. End of diologue. There is no meeting of minds; no openness to any but one point of view. This attitude definitely stretches socially harmony IMO and it pervades much of what Goodes says.
you get that from biggots

But please if my traditional dancing war cry or not offends you or upsets you or threatens you, then you are the one that needs to change their perspective. I should be allowed to express myself in dance to my hearts content.

So if Goodseys dance was perceived as threatening....everyone else needs to change? SRS bro?

An Irish jig is not provocative and confrontational like a war cry brandishing an imaginary spear directed at opposition supporters.

The people on your side of the argument keep referring to what Goodes did as just a dance when by Goodes own admission it was a war cry to challenge opposition supporters who were all supposed to just sit there and applaud him for "celebrating his culture".

Goodes said afterwards that it wasn't meant to offend Carlton supporters but how were they supposed to know that at the time? If someone charges at you brandishing an imaginary spear most people would see that as a sign of aggression and provocation rather than a celebration.
You know because he just scored a goal against your team in a competitive sport. To be honest its pretty bloody obvious.

Caro- Dean Laidley is a super coach.
Caro- Brad Scott is a super coach.

Translation - If it comes time to sack a mediocre coach Brayshaw will cop it.

Caro - Goodes can do what he likes, it's all great.

Translation - Eddie will be squirming for longer. Tokenism is above the laws and rules of the game.

Certainly sounds like Goodsey needs educating in what "you people" find threatening.

I stated earlier a philosophical opposition to the death penalty, but would have no problem with opening the trapdoor on ol' Ivan.

If he was out to provoke debate, he's succeeded. But surely you would agree, it's not healthy debate. He's a polarising figure who prompts people to choose "sides".

I didn't have a big issue with the war dance/celebration. Just thought, WTF was that? But I'd already formed a view on Goodesy based on his stint as AOTY.
Explain to me please why the war cry dance is so polarizing?
And what is your issue with his AOTY stint and explain how it differs from anyone else -have you seen the list-why would you take exception to Goodes in that companyr?

Knowing how to move in a traditional way is embraced where I come from. We incorporate the same movement into our efforts on a disco dance floor ... because we truly believe it looks good! I accept that not everyone may feel the same way. But please if my traditional dancing war cry or not offends you or upsets you or threatens you, then you are the one that needs to change their perspective. I should be allowed to express myself in dance to my hearts content.

So you think doing a war dance like Goodes' in a nightclub, directed towards a group of strangers, without prior explanation, would be justified under your right to expression; and that anyone who was offended or threatened simply (or simply found the circumstances inappropriate) needs to change their perspective? Fascinating viewpoint.

When was this exactly? (Or when do you think this was?)

My CSIRO approved boo-ometer has been tracking Adam Goodes and rating crowd response since 2007. It has been specially engineered to only record boos and registers false recordings in only 0.02% of occasions. Thus I can say with a high degree surety that low levels of booing predated his response to being called an ape, but they spiked after his response. They then had a further spike after his AOTY speech. My CSIRO approved boo-predictor is expecting a further spike after last weekend's outspokenness.
Whilst I suspect that much of the booing of Adam Goodes is not racially motivated. I suspect that much of it is, either subconsciously or consciously. Like you, I'm not in the position to speak for the vast majority of booers to accurately ascertain their conscious ad subconscious motives and would therefore never suggest that any individuals motives are racial. However, I'm anxiously hoping that my boomotiveometer passes clinical trials.

I hope that is enough evidence to satisfy you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He spoilt my vision of the aboriginal boys out there playing footy. Joyful we are joyful and the skill. Working the arc.

Those same guys aren't feeling their aboriginality. They are feeling a part of a team. Exactly what we want!

I fail to see the difference in his definition. You are allowed to think and hold any belief, thought itself does not constitute racism, unless you put those thought into action, and this includes making decisions based on your assumptions, it does not constitute racism, at least not in the sense that it is illegal. You are always free from prosecution of your thoughts, just not its expression. There is a line somewhere as to what you can express, but booing Goodes on a football field is very far from that line.

The difference is racism can be a belief or thoughts but racist behaviour is acting on those beliefs, even subconsciously, such as in the example he quoted of discriminatory employment or preference. That's when it crosses the line of legality.

Explain to me please why the war cry dance is so polarizing?
And what is your issue with his AOTY stint and explain how it differs from anyone else -have you seen the list-why would you take exception to Goodes in that companyr?

First one's been done to death by others. The proof is in this thread which is rattling along like a bushfire four days later.

Already explained that too. My issue is not so much with the honour being awarded to Goodes but rather with how he used the position.

I know what it means in their life. I know what the role model the lesson is. If you work hard commit you can have an equal life because that's how it works.

I've decided I wouldn't waste my air on booing goodes. I'll always boo pinch boy however.
I know why too It's because he brought the big racism to football. Good work goodes.
He spoilt my vision of the aboriginal boys out there playing footy. Joyful we are joyful and the skill. Working the arc.
Those same guys aren't feeling their aboriginality. They are feeling a part of a team. Exactly what we want!

Just how high are you? :confused:

First one's been done to death by others. The proof is in this thread which is rattling along like a bushfire four days later.

Already explained that too. My issue is not so much with the honour being awarded to Goodes but rather with how he used the position.
Still not getting it-how did he 'use the position?'
Yep but suspect the fact this thread is still going says more about us than Goodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back