Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me get this straight, majority of people on this boards opinion is that an aboriginal man should not be allowed to express his passion for his own culture where non-indigenous people have to be subjected to it. A culture that has been here for roughly 50,000 years longer than democracy and white people. All this in INDIGENOUS ROUND. A round designated for celebrating indigenous culture.
I hope next week that every Indigenous player to take the field does the same dance at the start of the game
No you are completely wrong

What? The Carlton supporters were for the most part, laughing, smiling or staring in bewilderment at what had taken place. I think one bloke may have gestured back..he probably got arrested.
But... but Eddie said security had quell a near uprising! Was he wrong? Eddie? Is it possible?

So the billions of dollars in funding that we (rightly) pour into Indigenous welfare every year is a reflection of our...racism....lack of compassion....unwillingness to help indigenous people get back in to the race.....?
Poor judgement, perhaps? The money does tend to go towards fixing things 'our way'. Maybe if there was a little more listening and respect both ways, more could be achieved.

let me get this straight, majority of people on this boards opinion is that an aboriginal man should not be allowed to express his passion for his own culture where non-indigenous people have to be subjected to it. A culture that has been here for roughly 50,000 years longer than democracy and white people. All this in INDIGENOUS ROUND. A round designated for celebrating indigenous culture.
I hope next week that every Indigenous player to take the field does the same dance at the start of the game

The simplicity of some people's minds is frightening.

You clearly don't have it straight. There have been and will be countless occasions where indigenous people will dance their traditional dances and express their passion for their culture.-visiting royalty always see a dance or two. Everyone enjoys and welcomes these performances. I am a teacher and we have had indigenous dancers perform many dances on more than one occasion-we all loved it. There were performances before the Dreamtime game. Did anyone boo or try to stop it? Our local footy game at Nunawading had a ceremony run by an indigenous woman.

Buddy Franklin is a proud indigenous man. He has tattoos which proudly proclaim his heritage. He doesn't see the need to put on a rage filled expression, take up an aggressive stance and deliberately target a section of the crowd containing opposition supporters and make violent gestures in their direction. By the way, this "traditional" dance is almost six years old today!

I have no doubt that many of Goode's indigenous brothers cringe inwardly at the way he carries on. Even Buddy had the good grace to say he had no idea why the crowds boo, Goodes. Racism never crossed Buddy's mind.

As for the time argument-I've been here a lot longer than Goodes. Does that make me more Australian?

Incredible, isn't it?

The reaction would be bloody hilarious.

I did not mean vanilla as in white I meant vanilla as in plain or not different. Adam Goodes expressing his cultural heritage to dance only adds to the flavours in Australian society. You should try a big helping of what he is dishing out you may just like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as you may want the world to be one big happy episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" you can't just pull out the sort of stuff Goodes did, which was more of a war cry than a dance, anywhere you like and expect people to not take offence to it or retaliate.

To think Goodes could just do that sort of a war cry to random people in a nightclub without risking a stint in hospital is extremely naïve, the real world just doesn't work like that.

So it's a dance troupe working in a tourist hotel; all dressed up in relevant garb too I'm assuming?

So, not really related to the scenario I was proposing at all. Err ... okay then.
Absolutely relevant. Aussies can appreciate Fijians dancing in Fiji but not indigenous Australians in Australia. . You can be as drab about it as you want, but it does not enhance your position.
Many times in Fiji on the dance floor, in a Western cultural setting, I have seen the women swaying and the men beating their chests and legs in a fusion of western dance and traditional dance. Then you have that other guy in the corner doing the sprinkler and the lawn mower. Statue bro?
Never have I seen westerners shy away from this environment. Instead there is raucous celebrations of a diverse bunch in a happy fun setting.
Why can't we be like that here? Why are you all so threatened by Mr Goodes? Wait until he becomes the first elected indigenous Prime Minister you place will be all over the head then.
All I'm saying is Adam Goodes is fully entitled to express his heritage through dance on goal celebration, the same way Tadhg Kennelly was when he won a flag. The same way Tim Cahill does when he scores a goal.
You are allowed to not like it. You are allowed to feel uninspired. But you are not allowed to dictate to Adam that he cannot do it, the rest of us will not allow you to place your unreasonable restrictions on our society.

Utter stupidity reigns. I said "little systemic racism".. Which doesn't = racism is over 'folks!'.

Nice try though. Comprehension skills must improve to compete on the big stage.
And you're still completely and utterly wrong. So wrong it hurts. Possibly the most ignorant comment thus far in this carnival of stupidity.

I get you re the vanilla reference. Is this thread still about goodes dance. I thought it had moved on. I thought it had become a conversation about racism in general. I commented on his dance during the game day thread. I said he looked like an ape the way he was moving.
Haha. I concede oh smelly one. I cannot, indeed I need not argue with that. Live well.

As much as you may want the world to be one big happy episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" you can't just pull out the sort of stuff Goodes did, which was more of a war cry than a dance, anywhere you like and expect people to not take offence to it or retaliate.

To think Goodes could just do that sort of a war cry to random people in a nightclub without risking a stint in hospital is extremely naïve, the real world just doesn't work like that.
Could he tackle someone in a nightclub? Could NicNat jump up on someone's back in a nightclub?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Utter stupidity reigns. I said "little systemic racism".. Which doesn't = racism is over 'folks!'.

Nice try though. Comprehension skills must improve to compete on the big stage.

Systematic racism is over folks! No racism when going for jobs, no racism when it comes to the cops, no racism when it comes to sentencing.

You are a gem :)

Accusing Adam Goodes of bullying a 13 year old is the type of double pike with a twist typical of renowned bullies such as Andrew Bolt and Eddie McGuire. It shits me how this argument got twisted and Goodes became the baddy. He had no idea the girl was 13. He heard yet another disgusting remark and had enough. He stood up and said 'no more'. McGuire immediately got on the front foot to protect his own and Bolt went in with his jackboots to protect his own version of political correctness. And like the original 'Conga Line of Suckholes' so many of you fell in line with McGuire and Bolt. It was more convenient to make Goodes an enemy rather than confront a seriously ugly truth.

Absolutely relevant. Aussies can appreciate Fijians dancing in Fiji but not indigenous Australians in Australia. . You can be as drab about it as you want, but it does not enhance your position.
Many times in Fiji on the dance floor, in a Western cultural setting, I have seen the women swaying and the men beating their chests and legs in a fusion of western dance and traditional dance. Then you have that other guy in the corner doing the sprinkler and the lawn mower. Statue bro?
Never have I seen westerners shy away from this environment. Instead there is raucous celebrations of a diverse bunch in a happy fun setting.
Why can't we be like that here? Why are you all so threatened by Mr Goodes? Wait until he becomes the first elected indigenous Prime Minister you place will be all over the head then.
All I'm saying is Adam Goodes is fully entitled to express his heritage through dance on goal celebration, the same way Tadhg Kennelly was when he won a flag. The same way Tim Cahill does when he scores a goal.
You are allowed to not like it. You are allowed to feel uninspired. But you are not allowed to dictate to Adam that he cannot do it, the rest of us will not allow you to place your unreasonable restrictions on our society.

Ridiculous! I have seen strippers perform in strip joints and not one person was offended. If however they decide to do the same routine in my workplace there may be repercussions! Context is everything. The people you refer to are expecting to be entertained with traditional dances. If Goodes dance had been done like the Haka, facing the Blues before the game there would have been no issue-NONE! He chose to do it at a very strange time and he directed it at the crowd (opposition). You are playing silly games by even pretending you don't see the difference.

Are you suggesting that if we were at a party and an indigenous man did a traditional dance (not one that is 6 years old) that it would not be accepted or that people would not happily applaud or join in? The Kennelly comparison is absurd. He did a little jig on the dias. If he had run at the crowd like an Irish Braveheart and bared his arse to the Eagles fans, how do you think that would have gone down. After all, arse baring is a tradition in some cultures.

This may be hard for you to believe but it actually happens in the world. Obviously not the one you live in though.
I cannot change my stance. It's like you trying to convince me the world is flat again. All I'm saying is if you can adjust your world view and learn to see the beauty in traditional movement like Adam's you will never be threatened again by it. But if you can't then you're just going to have to live with people like me and Adam because I KNOW I'm the richer for it.

These are fine words but the thing about goodes dance was that he did it wrong. It didn't look like a joyful celebration. It had menace and aggression in it. The video of the group of kids doing it, the group looked the real deal. Anyone would be happy to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back