Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL were powerless to stop it - managing to only have Gill pleading for it to stop, which only encouraged the booing to become a louder volume.
How are they supposed to police booing ? It's a spectators right to cheer or boo who they please.

Nathan Buckley copped it every time he touched the ball when he was playing, it's not like it's the first time it has ever happened in the AFL, hell even Jack Watts has been booed a lot

AFL were powerless to stop it - managing to only have Gill pleading for it to stop, which only encouraged the booing to become a louder volume.
How are they supposed to police booing ? It's a spectators right to cheer or boo who they please.
I think he meant the whole thing, not just AFL the organisation.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Surprised there seems to be no MB discussion re Adam Goodes in light of his Ahn Do interview on the ABC. Basically said he still holds bad feelings towards the AFL in light of what he called bullying from the booing from spectators he recieved with every touch of the football in the last two years of his career. Said it was a relief when he decided to hang up the boots.

Seems to be lost to the game. I think that's a shame.

I'll play the world's biggest violin for poor Adam.. what an unfortunate life he's had to lead.

Not this s**t again.
This attitude is just avoiding the issue of race relations in footy. It needs to be talked about and determined what we can do to improve it. The AFL should be reaching out to Goodes, not pretending negative race relations with one of the games most prominant Indigenous players never happened.

This attitude is just avoiding the issue of race relations in footy. It needs to be talked about and determined what we can do to improve it. The AFL should be reaching out to Goodes, not pretending negative race relations with one of the games most prominant Indigenous players never happened.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree.

But I can predict how the posts in this thread will turn out if 2015 was any guide. Hence my 'not this s**t again'. Some will use mental gymnastics to justify booing Adam Goodes again.

Whether the origin of the booing was racist in nature or not, it's telling that when Goodes and many AFL and media representatives where very clear that they thought it was racist and were peceiving it as a racially charged attack, it only got worse.

Whether the origin of the booing was racist in nature or not, it's telling that when Goodes and many AFL and media representatives where very clear that they thought it was racist and were peceiving it as a racially charged attack, it only got worse.
I'll be honest in that I can't stand the bloke but agree with this, I would definitely not have booed him, especially after this.

He called out racism and got relentlessly booed for it. I can understamd why he would have negative feelings about footy.

Eddie Betts called out racism and didn't get booed for it...

Goodes is extremely unlikeable and it's nothing to do with his race.. take off your PC filter and have a think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exact same mentality that got Trump elected.

The silent majority are sick and tired of being labelled as racists and sexists every time they say something negative to anyone who isn't a white male. People felt entitled to boo Goodes due to his actions and were then labelled racists for an idiotic reason, this only encouraged more boos as an "f u" to the SJW minority.

From talking to people at the time, the reason that I often heard cited for the apparent increase in booing was dissatisfaction in Goodes playing the race card. He has certainly faced racist episodes (and even the most staunch critics cannot deny the existence of at least one, given the admission of guilt by that girl), however he was perceived as a dirty player towards the end of his career, particularly with respect to consistently risking injury to opposition players. Many people booed him for those actions, and then when he (with support from some people in the media) attempted to tar all booing with the same racist brush, there was push back.

Taking the actions of other booed players as a barometer, he most certainly deserved his fair share but tried to slip out of it by trivialising a real issue. That certainly wasn't helpful to his cause (as evidenced by the response) and does not help with genuine racist issues since we have a reference point of 'the boy who cried wolf'.

Exact same mentality that got Trump elected.

The silent majority are sick and tired of being labelled as racists and sexists every time they say something negative to anyone who isn't a white male. People felt entitled to boo Goodes due to his actions and were then labelled racists for an idiotic reason, this only encouraged more boos as an "f u" to the SJW minority.
Powerful and brave...

I've been to countless AFL and WAFL games and played in a lot of games over in WA and I swear I can only remember about 2 incidents involving race over 30 years.

Maybe I'm just lucky.
Goodes took a public stance as a prominent Aboriginal, then get relentlessly booed like no one else has been, and this is still not seen as racism. If it's not a direct racial slur, or carried out by a placard carrying rascist, people find ways to dismiss or ignore it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

He called out racism and got relentlessly booed for it. I can understamd why he would have negative feelings about footy.

The excessive booing, not just the normal booing occurred in the 2014 GF and again round 8 vs hawks in 2015.

It was the media who labeled it racist, namely Mark Robinson.
Goodes never had an issue with it prior to that but he than took what the media said and ran with it.

Let's look at things logically here. According to the AFL, there are 81 players (approximately 10%) that identify as indigenous in heritage, and it appears that this number is consistent with the proportion of Indigenous players back when the Goodes issue was at large. Now, to give some more favour to the 'AFL fans are racist' group, lets assume that these "racist" people don't understand that players like Jed Anderson are indigenous due to appearing rather white, therefore narrowing the number down to, say, around 70 players who have the stereotypical look that they'd be targeting.

Okay, so we have a sporting league where there are approximately 70 players who fit the 'criteria' for being slandered with racist insults from the allegedly large number of racist AFL fans.......so where's all the booing? Have all of these supposedly racist fans suddenly packed up and left? Have they miraculously turned a new leaf? There is no way that all of these people booing Goodes could have just vanished, so there must be the same level booing of all 70 other 'ostensibly indigenous' players, right?

But there isn't. No one indigenous player receives even 5% of the amount of booing that Goodes did. Weird, huh? It's almost as if the boos weren't racist in origin, and these people were angry about something else. Bah, that's preposterous! It's not like AFL fans would voice disgust about dirty or inflammatory players since Milne never got booed in his career, Carlisle never got booed after his confrontation with Murphy, Ballantyne never gets booed....

What's more likely: that Goodes was booed purely (or mostly) on racist grounds, and these thousands of AFL fans across all clubs disappeared or suddenly backflipped on their disgusting views? Or that Goodes was booed for being a dirty player, like all other dirty players, which happened to coincide with a proven incidence of racism? The answer should be obvious, but if it isn't, then why didn't Goodes receive the same level of booing throughout his career? Why is it that the booing only ramped up when he starting playing with dirty tactics and labelled AFL fans as racists?

Occam's razor.

Wow big shock, people don't like being told who they can and can't booo.

Also, people don't like being accused of something they're not.
I am in awe of your ability to know with confidence the inner thoughts of tens of thousands of football fans.

This discussion is so stupid. People arguing about why people are booing. As if anyone can say with any certainty.

And don't the racists know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back