Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was about many different things, racism and the fact that Goodes was an absolute campaigner are just two of them.
Acknowledging that certain issues have grey area and need to have all evidence carefully examined and discussed rationally, doesn't win you any social media brownie points though.

It's absurd that you have to be 100% one way or the other on a given topic, otherwise your value to the discussion is diminished.

Acknowledging that certain issues have grey area and need to have all evidence carefully examined and discussed rationally, doesn't win you any social media brownie points though.

It's absurd that you have to be 100% one way or the other on a given topic, otherwise your value to the discussion is diminished.

We live in the society of the outraged

I have seen interviews from Winmar where he said he was booed. Either way though the type of racism Winmar was fighting was a different kind of racism to what Goodes is fighting. Winmar was fighting what is essentially second wave racism (like second wave feminism) while Goodes is fighting third wave racism.

Third wave racism probably deserves about as much attention as third wave feminism..

I still say those dragging this intractable issue up again should question what their motives are, and what they hope to achieve

It was the biggest social media thing of the time by a long way, and there was lots of collateral damage to professional relationships.

It a hiding to nothing

Goodes took a public stance as a prominent Aboriginal, then get relentlessly booed like no one else has been, and this is still not seen as racism. If it's not a direct racial slur, or carried out by a placard carrying rascist, people find ways to dismiss or ignore it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Goodes was bood for his on-field actions then tried to label everyone who boo'd him a racist, which caused the booing to increase. It's not that hard to follow.

And yes, obviously some of the boo'ers were racist but only a small minority.

Most of what Goodes has said over the years has been pretty tame.... It is just if you take a sentence here and a sentence there it seems rather 'radical'.

My main problem is with people who question his character based on his reaction to the 13 year old girl calling him an ape or whatever she said.

1. How was Goodes supposed to know the age/sex/mental aptitude/race of the person who said it before he turned around and went " Hey, who the feck said that, that is not cool".

2. The same people who claim he 'bullied' or picked on a 13 year old girl are the same people who would say statements like " Kids these days just need a good spanking" or " Kids should be seen not heard" or some other 1950s wisdom.

3. Even Sam Newman said at some stage that even if booing Goodes is not about racism, it has become so now given all the out rage and should stop.

What's funny about this is I was reading the BigFooty game day thread when the whole thing happened. The camera got a shot of the girl, and she was wearing a beanie + scarf and jacket which basically made it impossible to determine how old she was. Not a single poster at the time said anything even slightly suggesting she was only a teenager. Everyone thought she was an adult.

Oh and you know who else I watched a lot of? Barry Hall. Now if there's ever a player who deserved to be booed relentlessly it's Barry Hall.

And yet he wasn't. Sure, he got the customary scattering of boos for his first few possessions that is part of the pantomime of live sport. But never, ever to the level of constant booing by the entire crowd every single time he went near it.

Oh and you know who else I watched a lot of? Barry Hall. Now if there's ever a player who deserved to be booed relentlessly it's Barry Hall.

And yet he wasn't. Sure, he got the customary scattering of boos for his first few possessions that is part of the pantomime of live sport. But never, ever to the level of constant booing by the entire crowd every single time he went near it.
Barry Hall didn’t come out and claim that him getting boo’d was discriminatory because of his white skin.

He didn’t put the whole entire football public on trial because he felt offended that people didn’t like him because he can play football.

Never understood the booing of Goodes, it really should be reserved for the special legend turds of the game like Didak, Milne and Ballyntine.

perhaps it just went 'viral' like planking, and many people wanted to get on it, while it was still 'cool'.

Barry Hall didn’t come out and claim that him getting boo’d was discriminatory because of his white skin.

He didn’t put the whole entire football public on trial because he felt offended that people didn’t like him because he can play football.
Nah, he just belted people several times, in some cases so badly it could have killed the guy on the receiving end.

And yet we’re meant to believe that a lot of the Goodes booing came because of resentment at his apparently thuggish style of play.

Your argument is beyond moronic, facile and embarrassing.

In before I’m called PC and so on.

I booooed him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day he doesn’t play anymore, so if you hated his style or whatever which is your right then there’s nothing to care about anymore

Don’t think he is coming back to the game any time soon so guess some will be happy.

Goodes was bood for his on-field actions then tried to label everyone who boo'd him a racist, which caused the booing to increase. It's not that hard to follow.

And yes, obviously some of the boo'ers were racist but only a small minority.
How do you know? Is it because of all the people saying, I booed, but I`m not racist.

Never understood the booing of Goodes, it really should be reserved for the special legend turds of the game like Didak, Milne and Ballyntine.

perhaps it just went 'viral' like planking, and many people wanted to get on it, while it was still 'cool'.
Lol what? People booed him because they think he's a flog. You never see Ballantyne crying about it. Goodes plays the race card, even though no one booed Walters or Cyril or Betts. Goodes is a flog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back