Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think Adam Goodes deserved better from the AFL community, his final two seasons will forever be a blight on the game, being shamefully booed into retirement by knuckle dragging neantherthals.

Problem is that a significant portion of people have convinced themselves that they are not racist for booing Goodes, though I suspect deep down even they know they are. People as a general rule though don't like to think negative thoughts about themselves, and will generally come up with excuses for their own failings as human beings.

I still don't truly understand why there was so much negativity aimed towards Goodes in his last couple of seasons in the AFL.

Just remember how great a player he was

Sigh

I had all the respect in the world for him but when his skill level started to drop (2007 - onward) he turned into more of a thuggish footballer.
Don't get me wrong he was still capable of turning a game on its head and didn't need to resort to the pleading for free kicks and "rough conduct" on the field.

I still don't truly understand why there was so much negativity aimed towards Goodes in his last couple of seasons in the AFL.
Started when he began sniping players, diving continuously, and not playing the ball. Escalated with the AFL and their media bunnies failing to point it out. Hit fever pitch when he almost became a martyr and decided to hang s**t on 99% of the population.
I honestly believe if the media hadn't of put him on a pedestal, the vitrol he received would barely have registered

Sigh

I had all the respect in the world for him but when his skill level started to drop (2007 - onward) he turned into more of a thuggish footballer.
Don't get me wrong he was still capable of turning a game on its head and didn't need to resort to the pleading for free kicks and "rough conduct" on the field.

and yet no one mentions that Chris Judd eye gouged and chicken winged opponents, things that are so much worse than anything Goodes ever did.

and yet no one mentions that Chris Judd eye gouged and chicken winged opponents, things that are so much worse than anything Goodes ever did.

Here's the thing the smarter people do mention that about Judd and many other players over the years (eg: Joel Selwood is a bit of a thug as well) but it's often overshadowed.

At the end of the day he won two premierships and two brownlows. Solid career

Here's the thing the smarter people do mention that about Judd and many other players over the years (eg: Joel Selwood is a bit of a thug as well) but it's often overshadowed.

At the end of the day he won two premierships and two brownlows. Solid career

Except Judd is talked about reasonably extensively on the greatest player of the modern era thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned those incidents, but if someone brought up Goodes I bet you another poster would mention his supposed thuggery or sniping.

To me though, if you had one player to clone 22 times, there would be no team in the history of the VFL/AFL that would be stronger than Team Goodes. He would beat Team Pavlich, Team Koutoufides, Team Leigh Matthews, Team Matthew Richardson, Team Ablett Snr, Team Ablett Jnr, all of them.

I know it is a weird thing to bring up, but I think in terms of his ability to play everywhere there was no better player in the history of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except Judd is talked about reasonably extensively on the greatest player of the modern era thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned those incidents, but if someone brought up Goodes I bet you another poster would mention his supposed thuggery or sniping.

To me though, if you had one player to clone 22 times, there would be no team in the history of the VFL/AFL that would be stronger than Team Goodes. He would beat Team Pavlich, Team Koutoufides, Team Leigh Matthews, Team Matthew Richardson, Team Ablett Snr, Team Ablett Jnr, all of them.

I know it is a weird thing to bring up, but I think in terms of his ability to play everywhere there was no better player in the history of the game.

I'm a bit suspicious of his ability to play in defense and actually defend a player, let alone another superstar. I think Team Pavlich would be a lot more reliable in that respect.
I'd think that would be a pretty close matchup. Slight edge to Pavlich in forward line, big edge in defense, decent edge to Goodes in midfield and big edge in ruck.

I'm a bit suspicious of his ability to play in defense and actually defend a player, let alone another superstar. I think Team Pavlich would be a lot more reliable in that respect.
I'd think that would be a pretty close matchup. Slight edge to Pavlich in forward line, big edge in defense, decent edge to Goodes in midfield and big edge in ruck.

Goodes played in defense a bit in 2004 when he was playing injured and from memory he was quite good at it.

I remember the 2008 State of Origin game and Goodes was the only player in the Victorian team that Bomber Thompson gave license to just go wherever the hell he felt like when on the field.

Problem is that a significant portion of people have convinced themselves that they are not racist for booing Goodes, though I suspect deep down even they know they are. People as a general rule though don't like to think negative thoughts about themselves, and will generally come up with excuses for their own failings as human beings.

My explanation is a little different. I'm extremely left leaning, and definitely not racist. My issue was the media at the time saying "If you boo him you're a racist". Which I disagreed with, because I booed the best players from the opposition no matter their colour or team. Sam Mitchell was one of my favourite oppo players ever, I booed him, booed tredrea, booed Dane Swan, cloke etc, I booed anyone. I didn't consider booing a racist act as I booed based on footballing opposition, not skin colour. Truly not racist.

But by the end there was a point I believe where it was clearly only the racists left booing, probably after he took a couple of weeks off, is when I changed my attitude of "I boo everyone so I'm not racist" to "If it's affecting him this much, whether I'm racist or not is irrelevant and people should stop booing him because it's clearly having an impact on him and he believes it's racist". So probably for the last 6 months I was against booing Adam goodes but for the first year and a half I was fine with it.

Does that make me a hypocrite, more educated now, a bad person before, I don't know. But I still think the media escalated things by calling everyone who booed Adam goodes a racist straight from the start when everyone gets booed. Anyone good anyway. But like I said, once it became obvious the real impact it was having on Adam goodes I figured just don't boo him, it's taking on a different meaning to booing anyone else now.

My explanation is a little different. I'm extremely left leaning, and definitely not racist. My issue was the media at the time saying "If you boo him you're a racist". Which I disagreed with, because I booed the best players from the opposition no matter their colour or team. Sam Mitchell was one of my favourite oppo players ever, I booed him, booed tredrea, booed Dane Swan, cloke etc, I booed anyone. I didn't consider booing a racist act as I booed based on footballing opposition, not skin colour. Truly not racist.

But by the end there was a point I believe where it was clearly only the racists left booing, probably after he took a couple of weeks off, is when I changed my attitude of "I boo everyone so I'm not racist" to "If it's affecting him this much, whether I'm racist or not is irrelevant and people should stop booing him because it's clearly having an impact on him and he believes it's racist". So probably for the last 6 months I was against booing Adam goodes but for the first year and a half I was fine with it.

Does that make me a hypocrite, more educated now, a bad person before, I don't know. But I still think the media escalated things by calling everyone who booed Adam goodes a racist straight from the start when everyone gets booed. Anyone good anyway. But like I said, once it became obvious the real impact it was having on Adam goodes I figured just don't boo him, it's taking on a different meaning to booing anyone else now.

The thing is, if Goodes did something bad in game that is fine. I mean Gaffe got the s**t booed out of him in the game he cleaned up Brayshaw, but the problem is when the booing continues game after game and for seemingly no reason. I mean Barry Hall punched Brent Staker, knocked him out cold, and when Barry returned I never remembered him getting booed like Goodes got booed, just like Judd never got booed like Goodes got booed despite being way worse on the field in terms of what he did. It got to the point where Goodes was being booed every game, no matter what, every single time he touched the ball and to me that steemed from his political activism and people were just using a few incidents on the field as an excuse for being him, when in reality they were booing him for his activism.

Sigh

A hawthorn supporter complaining about thuggish behaviour, now I've seen everything. What's next, a Carlton supporter complaining about salary cap cheats? A Bombers supporter complaining about doping?

The thing is, if Goodes did something bad in game that is fine. I mean Gaffe got the s**t booed out of him in the game he cleaned up Brayshaw, but the problem is when the booing continues game after game and for seemingly no reason. I mean Barry Hall punched Brent Staker, knocked him out cold, and when Barry returned I never remembered him getting booed like Goodes got booed, just like Judd never got booed like Goodes got booed despite being way worse on the field in terms of what he did. It got to the point where Goodes was being booed every game, no matter what, every single time he touched the ball and to me that steemed from his political activism and people were just using a few incidents on the field as an excuse for being him, when in reality they were booing him for his activism.

Australia still hasn't come to grips with its treatment of the indigenous populations, that's the issue. It's an underlying current in our society.

I booed Goodes before booing Goodes was the in thing to do :p. Any opposition player that targets a Hawthorn player, they are dead to me! :p
While I thought he was a vile villain for trying to take out a certain Hawthorn player's legs years before.... the straw that broke the camel's back for me was his pissweak attempt at hitting Bruest from behind in the 2014 grand final.

The AFL handled it completely wrong by asking/demanding the fans stop booing, it only fueled the fire - the old saying if you tell someone not to do something, they're going to keep doing it/amplify it more because "you can't tell us what to do".

Gaffe got the s**t booed out of him in the game he cleaned up Brayshaw

No, you might want to go back and watch it again. After he punched a teenager off the ball, dislodging 5 teeth and breaking his jaw leaving him to only be able to take liquefied food through a straw for a month, he was cheered repeatedly by the West Coast crowd.

Certainly looking forward to the "Andrew, we applaud you for what you have overcome" signs when he is allowed back.

RE: Goodes, once it was "decided" that the booing was racist, you shouldn't do it. Regardless of your initial motivations.

Guy came across as a massive tool who was put on a pedestal by the media. Bloody brilliant player though.

I disagree with the notion people only boo players who do something bad in games, as has been demonstrated above. I boo the best players from the opposition. That's it.

Started when he began sniping players, diving continuously, and not playing the ball. Escalated with the AFL and their media bunnies failing to point it out. Hit fever pitch when he almost became a martyr and decided to hang s**t on 99% of the population.
I honestly believe if the media hadn't of put him on a pedestal, the vitrol he received would barely have registered
What an absolute load of s**t. Goodes was revered in the AFL community until the incident with the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back