Analysis Adam Kelly is a fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to pay for Hately so we keep our PSD leverage for Cameron. Surely we can sell him on a quick rebound with him and Adelaide is sh*t trucks better living than Geelong.
Torquay is pretty nice, if a little bit snobby

I agree about people iver rating our players

Pick 15 sounds about right to me, however Im not prepared to move up 8 places and risk having to keep Brad for 5 years

I rather find another mechanism to move up the draft

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you'd prefer to spend other assets to move up the draft rather than get reasonable value for existing assets in the first place. That's an interesting take.

Very harsh on Adam, this is all Roo and Reid.
They threw him under the bus.

List Management is Roo, Reid, Nicks, Kelly, Fagan, Ogilvie and the accountant. The decision on exiting Brouch is a group decision and it could have been ordered by Admin. Reid has been doing our negotiations but perhaps Kelly, like Noble did as head of footy, wants to do the negotiation. He does have a Harvard certificate for it after all. Ultimately, they're all to blame.

So we know the Crows stuffed this up...we need to ask ourselves with the benefit of hindsight what could they have done differently?

Firstly I know our negotiating tactic was not to make Crouch an offer all year but rather wait to see what 'the market said'. We obviously were trying to use this as a way to either maximise compo (pick 2) or not overpay (i.e. we match the bid and keep the player).

What actually happened was that 'the market' - in this case the Saints - used our reticence to take the first step and used it against us with the complicated incentive/trigger structure of the deal which they knew would not yield Band 1 compo but which would be hard (by reason of length of deal) for us to match.

Secondly we (somewhat understandably) took a binary position when it came to the preferred length of deal (five years) - and simply said "No" under any circumstances. The question we should have been asking ourselves was "Under what circumstances would we give Brad five years?" and then we could have structured an offer around that.

So to take those two points and then integrate them we could have put forward an offer of, say, 3 years at $750K (which we know is Band 1 compo per Daniher deal) plus a very challenging option/trigger for a 4th year (e.g. play minimum of 60 games and top 5 in B&F in first 3 years) on middling money (e.g. $500K p.a.) plus a second trigger for a 5th year at the same $500K rate (e.g. play minimum of 20 games in year 4).

That way we're putting forward an offer such that (i) it gives Brad what he says he wants - a long term deal (ii) if someone else beats it we know we get Band 1 compo and (iii) we are protected against our perceived key issue of Brad's durability by making the triggers themselves hedge the risk of durability.

Surely the Crows could have role-played out the scenario that actually happened and seen what their weakness was and tried to mitigate it...just seems amateurish in the extreme.

That post on here?

Probably. Equivalent at least. Have you seen his linked in profile. He has general business management experience, but running an AFL footy dept is a very specific role. He's been tasked with effectively building ours up from scratch and he'd never worked in one before. We didn't try to get Balme for the shits and giggles.

Probably. Equivalent at least. Have you seen his linked in profile. He has general business management experience, but running an AFL footy dept is a very specific role. He's been tasked with effectively building ours up from scratch and he'd never worked in one before. We didn't try to get Balme for the shits and giggles.

You seem to be in the know.

What else could have he done?

I have a good mate that works as a scout at an AFL club, I know exactly how clubs view this draft and I have done my research. I get that you have a personal connection with the Crouch’s so see them through rose coloured glasses, but Brad was never worth a top 10 pick and at best if the Bulldogs were interested, pick 14 would have been fair as well.
Band 1, not pick 2.

I have a good mate that works as a scout at an AFL club, I know exactly how clubs view this draft and I have done my research. I get that you have a personal connection with the Crouch’s so see them through rose coloured glasses, but Brad was never worth a top 10 pick and at best if the Bulldogs were interested, pick 14 would have been fair as well.
Do these AFL guys have amnesia or somethin?

Can you go back to them and ask them how they came to this conclusion? In light of say, Tim Kelly deal, Lachie Neal deal, even Jake Lever for 10 for us. Brad's worth less than Lever?????????????????????????????????? When did players all of a sudden become so unvaluable in draft picks? Seems it is mostly just Adl players and in particular Brad that magically didn't have any value.

So that makes them qualified to do what Kelly does?

They must work in soccer, or cricket, or basketball, or...............

Kelly isn’t qualified to do what he does

he’s been in football admin his whole career, not footy ops like he is now in charge of

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean at the same time whats a better move?

1. Ok saints if you offer him 600k per year over 5 years we are not gonna match and he's yours.

2. We are gonna match unless it's a band 1 compo and try force the saints to up their offer (a total bluff)

Alot of EV in the 2nd one and 0 EV in the first one. I know which one I rather the club do. Sometimes you bluff and get caught.... it happens...

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really bad start for Kelly, made to look like a fool in front of the whole AFL community. We’ve all effed up starting a new job, so I’m still willing to give him a go.

But surely he needs to never open his mouth unless he is 100% sure on what he’s saying.

I have 1 question. Where in the hell was Fagan? This has his grubby paws all over it. What I see is the exact same MO for both Dangerfield and now Crouch. Roll over to get a deal done.

This time is when we should have matched and if no trade, into the ND he goes. Fagan heads that committee courtesy of being the CEO. Everything goes through him.

Poor Kelly the newbie gets tossed to the wolves and screws up. Why wasn't Reid answering the questions if Fagan MIA. Noble was the List Manager when the PD deal done. I don't think Kelly is a fraud just made a very bad rookie mistake.

The real culprit in all of this is Gary Winter, he screwed Brad over. Lousy advice. Should have signed that 3 year deal and told Brad play well and I'll get you a 2 year extension next year. No...he shops Brad around late last year and doesn't find a taker this year. P*ss poor effort.

Brad listens and decides on the club with the least amount of ammo for the Crows to trade with. Way to look after the club that has looked after and nurtured him for 8 years. Again p*ss weak effort.

This has been a colossal screw up by all parties involved apart from the Saints. They played it beautifully.

I have 1 question. Where in the hell was Fagan? This has his grubby paws all over it. What I see is the exact same MO for both Dangerfield and now Crouch. Roll over to get a deal done.

This time is when we should have matched and if no trade, into the ND he goes. Fagan heads that committee courtesy of being the CEO. Everything goes through him.

Poor Kelly the newbie gets tossed to the wolves and screws up. Why wasn't Reid answering the questions if Fagan MIA. Noble was the List Manager when the PD deal done. I don't think Kelly is a fraud just made a very bad rookie mistake.

The real culprit in all of this is Gary Winter, he screwed Brad over. Lousy advice. Should have signed that 3 year deal and told Brad play well and I'll get you a 2 year extension next year. No...he shops Brad around late last year and doesn't find a taker this year. P*ss poor effort.

Brad listens and decides on the club with the least amount of ammo for the Crows to trade with. Way to look after the club that has looked after and nurtured him for 8 years. Again p*ss weak effort.

This has been a colossal screw up by all parties involved apart from the Saints. They played it beautifully.

Mate, it's not good news, why would you expect Fagan to be anywhere near it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back