News Adam Saad nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a Half-back flanker. Not a Key position player.
Very handy but Premierships are not built around flankers.
Match winning forwards and Match winning contested mids are worth FIRST round picks,
flanks and pockets are not unless all time GREATS.
G.Ablett jnr the mid = 2 First round picks
G.Ablett jnr forward pocket pick 43 or so.

Don't you think we now have match winning forwards and mids?

Harry Charlie

Cripps, Martin, Williams, Walsh

Then a host of young players, some that are about to hit that critical age/experience?

Lastly, how do you know we won't play Saad on a wing?

I think the NBA system from the draft, to salary cap to free agency is perfect.

NFL free agency's is very different to be fair. Contracts are not typically guaranteed and the rosters/draft are huge. Plus the compensation is in later rounds not a top 5 pick from Frawley...

The AFL draft, academies, free agency and general made up rules is a joke. Don't even get me started on clash jerseys!!!! guernseys.

Why do we want to Americanise everything to do with our game? We already got the totally irrelevant 'metres gained' stat from them, even our own coach has fallen into the stupid habit of referring to our backline as 'deefence'. Now:p you talk of 'jerseys', please no more.

A guernsey is a type of shirt worn by Australian rules footballers. ... Australian rules football is unique in referring to the player's shirt as a "guernsey" with most other sports referring their respective uniforms as a "jersey".

I wish we'd put more effort into keeping our game unique than wanting to make it just like every other game.

That wasn't the comparison you were making though, you seemed to be saying Ablett wasn't worth as much when he went back to Geelong as he was older, therefore Saad being 3 years older than when he went to Essendon isn't worth as much now.

The Ablett who went back to Geelong after all those years wasn't the same player who he was when he left. The Saad that we are getting has improved in the time he has been at Essendon.

Ablett left Geelong at his peak, Saad is arriving at Carlton at his peak.

Docherty with 13 games under his belt, still an unproven quantity came to us for pick 28, Saad is proven to be a quality player, He's worth more than 27 and remember we chased him for a reason, now we will pay a reasonable price,.It's not 7, but it's not 27 either.
What I was saying was when he went back he was a flanker, no longer a mid therefore worth a lot less.

What I was saying was when he went back he was a flanker, no longer amid therefore worth a lot less.

Ablett was for sure, I just don't think you can apply the same reasoning when it comes to Saad, the circumstances are a fair bit different.

Ablett was for sure, I just don't think you can apply the same reasoning when it comes to Saad, the circumstances are a fair bit different.
Exactly, Ablett = Champion mid.
Saad plays pocket or flank same as he did 3 years ago.

Exactly, Ablett = Champion mid.
Saad plays pocket or flank same as he did 3 years ago.

Saad is still a better player than he was 3 years ago though, that's the point.

He is a Half-back flanker. Not a Key position player.
Very handy but Premierships are not built around flankers.
Match winning forwards and Match winning contested mids are worth FIRST round picks,
flanks and pockets are not unless all time GREATS.
G.Ablett jnr the mid = 2 First round picks
G.Ablett jnr forward pocket pick 43 or so.
W Harmes would disagree.

Just read that Brisbane won’t entertain a trade for Daniher... so Essendoom most likely get an end of 1st round compo pick. Contract is incentive based but only the guaranteed money is used to calculate the compo. If not Daniher ends up in pre-season draft and they get nothing for him.

Imagine the pressure DodoBird will be under if that happens...

In fact I think he’s already under pressure and has the lesser hand now. This might push the Saad trade in our favour.

First of all his stats say he is not

Secondly HE IS 3 YEARS OLDER.
Has 3- 6 Years left, not 6-9 years left.
Half a bottle of beer is worth less than a full bottle not more.:weary:

If he plays as long as Ablett has he has 10 years yet :tearsofjoy: I'm sorry I don't see his age being a factor in his worth. His value has increased over the past 3 years due to him improving as a player.

Medical treatment and , training and recovery programs have improved massively in the last 20 years. Doubt there has ever been more 300 game players running around. So Recruiting a 26 year old potentially carries more upside. Still 27 Should get it done..or PSD if Dodo is still pursuing his desire to drive the * extinct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we want to Americanise everything to do with our game? We already got the totally irrelevant 'metres gained' stat from them, even our own coach has fallen into the stupid habit of referring to our backline as 'deefence'. Now:p you talk of 'jerseys', please no more.

A guernsey is a type of shirt worn by Australian rules footballers. ... Australian rules football is unique in referring to the player's shirt as a "guernsey" with most other sports referring their respective uniforms as a "jersey".

I wish we'd put more effort into keeping our game unique than wanting to make it just like every other game.
kiss me........ok, pash me then.........

So we will have to gift * pick 7 and C.Curnow as requested
even though Saad not worth more than pick 27.
DAMM DAMM DAMM! going to miss you Charlie :'(
What did Geelong get for young Ablett the mid?
What did Geelong pay for old Ablett the pocket?
Pick 27 is affair and reasonable price.
A risk free trade?
What if his leg falls off in December?
What if Rance converts him?
What if......……..???????
I think you made more sense when you just gave thumbs downs.

You pay what someone is worth to your team. Saad would be worth a late first rounder to the majority of posters. You may disagree but my God you have a weirdly dramatic way of trying to get your point across.

Is Dodoro / * delusional, in denial, or dumb...?
If they are asking for pick #7, plus something, the reality is that at worst case scenario (which we most likely won't do), is for Saad to nominate for national draft, and we pick him with pick #7, and * get nothing...
On top of that, The Australian is reporting that Brisbane won't go to trade if * match offer on JD (which one could possibly consider 'reasonable' if compensation pick is at end of first round). JD could then also nominate for ND or PSD, and get picked up by Brissie (or another team). Again, lose player for nothing. And If JD somehow remains at *, they have a player who has publicly stated he doesn't want to be there....
Madness...
One can understand * wanting reasonable compensation, but they are not in a position this year to want to sound tough or try to bully people...
And so from my point of view, simply giving pick 7 is too much.... But can * or others see the logic of that...?

Not much risk from anyone with picks before 27.
Adel 1,8,20.
Syd 2,22.
GC 5,24
Freo 10.
Bris 18,19.
Port 26.
Fair to say he is not going out of Vic.
North 2,9,25. Maybe 25.
Hawks 4,21. Maybe 21. But I very much Doubt it.
* pick 6. If they use 6 then I was wrong he is worth pick 7. :oops:
W.B. 12 Already spent.
Colliwobbles 14. 3 Mill. no way.
St.Kilda 15 Don't see it.
Rich 17 3 Mill? Their not that rich.
Melb 23 Maybe?

Pick 27 Carlton. OK Sounds reasonable.

saints could easily do it with pic 15. They have the money and would be happy to grab a 26yo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back