News Adam Saad nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone aware of whether carlton have put counter offers to Dodoro? And if so, what they were?*

*let me head you off at the pass. I have read dodos alleged opening gambits and I agree they’re utterly ridiculous. Just genuinely interested if anyone has heard anything.
Yes, Carlton's counter offer is Saad will be walked to the draft. We don't bluff, we did it with Nick Stevens and last year with Jack Martin-it is up to you Adrian, if you want to deny your club out of 3 top picks in 2 years

Hoping upon hope that Austin offers what CARLTON think he is worth (fair deal - slightly overs); a late first rounder - take it or leave it.

This is what St.Kilda did with Brad Hill; gave up picks 6 & 69 for 12 & 18 from GWS. They then said to Freo take it or leave it. Up until then Freo had been demanding pick 6 (and remember Hill is far better credentialed than Saad and had two more years on his contract to run).

The most important thing is that he stays the course and has a plan B (ND or PSD) when Dodo tries to bluff.

We can't have Dodo holding us up all trade period like he did with Papley last year.

Is anyone aware of whether carlton have put counter offers to Dodoro? And if so, what they were?*

*let me head you off at the pass. I have read dodos alleged opening gambits and I agree they’re utterly ridiculous. Just genuinely interested if anyone has heard anything.

Carlton counter offer is probably something reasonable, 15-25ish - it would have been leaked otherwise

a club not doing their own due diligence including medical leaves them open to all sorts of legal horrors - what will norf's lawyer say in court - "well we thought carlton's medical team had it covered pretty good your honour.........."
What, beyond paying out the player’s contract, would the (theoretical) club be exposed to? If the ‘legal horrors’ of which you speak consist of a club paying a player that ends up not playing because of injury it’s just an extension of BAU. Kind of like having a highly paid player that is careless in the offseason and stuffs his knee doing something stupid or a player that sits on the sidelines for two seasons with back to back knee reconstructions.

Granted a risk, but it’s calculated and the risk return profile might be attractive to some club.

Happy to be schooled otherwise.

(deal breaker remains if the player doesn’t want to play for your club it’d be a stupid choice to draft them, but to be fair there are some clubs run by pretty stupid people)

a club not doing their own due diligence including medical leaves them open to all sorts of legal horrors - what will norf's lawyer say in court - "well we thought carlton's medical team had it covered pretty good your honour.........."

I had a bad flashback then, it made me wonder if Waite was really injured with us all those times ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they could sit out the year.

He could refuse to sign for less than $1M for next year though, surely?

What happens if the team and player can't come to terms on the contract?

If he nominated a $ figure, then the team picking him would be obliged to pay him that.

So if he gets to us we could pay it then restructure the deal to make it 5 years. If he gets picked up by someone else he gets a huge payday and can request a trade again.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Players nominate for the draft on the proviso that they play for whoever selects them. Players who have already played for a club can nominate for the ND or pre-season draft and nominate the terms they wish to play for, so any club would have to pay what Saad nominates as his terms, even us.

If he says I want $1M in year one to fend off other interest, we too HAVE to pay him that figure in year one, and yes we could then offer heavily reduced for the rest.

My point I was mainly making was.

If you go in to the draft, you must play for whoever picks you, you can’t sit out for a year because you didn’t want to move to Brisbane or wherever.

That dude from gws went to Freo. Forward. Forget his name.

And also a bunch of * players and staff...

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Small difference though, Mcarthy was already a giants player, he’d played there 2 seasons prior and asked for a trade, his trade request was denied and he developed mental health issues the following year and sat out The season, he was traded the following year.

Its possible he actually had some big issues, he was a super talent and he played some really good footy as a rookie, he then fell off a cliff, even after he was traded home he had issues.

So he didn’t refuse to go to a team in the draft but sat out his third season.

Players nominate for the draft on the proviso that they play for whoever selects them. Players who have already played for a club can nominate for the ND or pre-season draft and nominate the terms they wish to play for, so any club would have to pay what Saad nominates as his terms, even us.

If he says I want $1M in year one to fend off other interest, we too HAVE to pay him that figure in year one, and yes we could then offer heavily reduced for the rest.

My point I was mainly making was.

If you go in to the draft, you must play for whoever picks you, you can’t sit out for a year because you didn’t want to move to Brisbane or wherever.
But he could be a disgruntled player at another club for the minimum contract length of 2 years at $800k to $1M a year guaranteed with minimal or no performance triggers... as long as he turns up to everything he's meant to and doesn't do anything wrong then the club is potentially paying him ~$35k to $45k for each game he plays in the reserves....

That would really do some damage to a club. Why risk it?

The offer is pick 27 or go and fu** yourself. You absolute disgrace Dodo.

Dealing with Essendope is a waste of time, said it from the start Saad went to Essendope over us. So good luck to him. He can go to f*n North in the PSD for all I care.

27 won't get it done mate. Will end up being 30 ish.

27 won't get it done mate. Will end up being 30 ish.
What happens really depends on the picks that the clubs with academy/FS players have on draft night. If, for arguments sake, the Dogs do some trading to accumulate points and end up with three 2nds before 27, then them matching the bid for JUH might actually move 27 forward in the order as multiple picks are sucked up to get the points for the matched bid.

The early picks will probably get pushed back, depending on where the other higher rated kids are bid on (as well as any FA compensation picks), but somewhere through the order there's going to be quite a few picks that dissolve because of those matched bids. If that happens in the 20s or 30s+ is anyone's guess at this stage and we likely won't know for sure until draft night. Even then I'm guessing we'll see a hell of a lot of live trading around these academy/FS kids, clubs watching them slip down the order and then trading to get up earlier or even 'pick dump' to move assets elsewhere.

The points have to come from somewhere, and it's probably not the best list management to use all of your picks (that are seen as remotely usable) on matching a bid, just to be left having to take another 2 kids on 2 year deals with the last couple of picks of the draft and possibly go into sizable draft deficit the next year (which comes out of your first pick).

But he could be a disgruntled player at another club for the minimum contract length of 2 years at $800k to $1M a year guaranteed with minimal or no performance triggers... as long as he turns up to everything he's meant to and doesn't do anything wrong then the club is potentially paying him ~$35k to $45k for each game he plays in the reserves....

That would really do some damage to a club. Why risk it?

I am not arguing the merits of a club taking the risk on recruiting a player that doesn’t want to play there. I only highlighted that Saad’s manager never said that Adam wouldn’t play anywhere else and never said he would sit out a year.

Refusing to play for the club that drafts you, will get him suspended for a long time.

Brisbane have picks 18,19 & 38 at the moment.
Would they be a viable target for splitting pick 7.
Bris use pick 7 for Joe we use 18 for saad?
just spit balling.

As we are discussing Saad going to the draft, the Lions are in the same position, they aren’t trading a top 10 pick on a player who has played 8 games in 3 years or whatever it is. They could draft him at pick 18.

What happens really depends on the picks that the clubs with academy/FS players have on draft night. If, for arguments sake, the Dogs do some trading to accumulate points and end up with three 2nds before 27, then them matching the bid for JUH might actually move 27 forward in the order as multiple picks are sucked up to get the points for the matched bid.

The early picks will probably get pushed back, depending on where the other higher rated kids are bid on (as well as any FA compensation picks), but somewhere through the order there's going to be quite a few picks that dissolve because of those matched bids. If that happens in the 20s or 30s+ is anyone's guess at this stage and we likely won't know for sure until draft night. Even then I'm guessing we'll see a hell of a lot of live trading around these academy/FS kids, clubs watching them slip down the order and then trading to get up earlier or even 'pick dump' to move assets elsewhere.

The points have to come from somewhere, and it's probably not the best list management to use all of your picks (that are seen as remotely usable) on matching a bid, just to be left having to take another 2 kids on 2 year deals with the last couple of picks of the draft and possibly go into sizable draft deficit the next year (which comes out of your first pick).
Pick #27 also will get pushed back by FA and RFA like Daniher, Cameron, Corr, Adkin?, Williams, etc. so could easily be 30+when we trade it.

As we are discussing Saad going to the draft, the Lions are in the same position, they aren’t trading a top 10 pick on a player who has played 8 games in 3 years or whatever it is. They could draft him at pick 18.
The situation is not exactly the same though.
Daniher is a RFA - if Essendon match and a deal can’t be done is not guaranteed any contract level in the national draft, should he enter it. That means he is more likely to stay at Essendon or there are clubs that would love a cheap key forward before Brisbane’s pick.
Not so many clubs looking for a HBF.
This is also the reason why PSD is often a better option for players wanting to set terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back