Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

dodo didnt win anything.

the trade was fair for all. All he did was make a few of your supporters in this thread look stupid.

Precisely it. It’s a good trade for both clubs and pretty much exactly as most sane people called it at the start. Both clubs obviously tried to do a bit better because that’s their job.

The only losers are the nuffies who somehow got themselves worked into a lather that they were gonna pull off some massive heist. You’d think eventually they’d wake up to the fact they’re just being led around by the nose by the media.

Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh, Williams, Martin, Dow, Fogarty, Kemp, Philp, etc. You have no idea what you're talking about...

Thanks for one of your top 3 players, will helps us make top 6 next year while you're bottom 4 :)

Yeah so Cripps is good and so is Walsh. The rest are ordinary, bad or unproven. I mean Dow.......ouch
Oh and Martin is a forward.

Yep should improve a bit, but no matter how many half back flankers you draft you're not going to take that midfield to a flag.

Yeah so Cripps is good and so is Walsh. The rest are ordinary, bad or unproven. I mean Dow.......ouch

Yep should improve a bit, but no matter how many half back flankers you draft you're not going to take that midfield to a flag.
None of those players are bad, just a few unproven or that you're ignorant about. Williams will play midfield for us, no matter how many times you say we've recruited nothing but HBFs, it just makes you look silly.

Oh and Martin rotated into the midfield for us this year.

Ed Curnow and Marc Murphy are their only good players over 30 so I wouldn't say that

This myth has been persisting for a while, but our older brigade didn’t do a whole lot this year.

Kreuz was cooked coming in, Simmo was solid but regressed again, Murphy was pretty bad, Betts had a few nice cameos but would be retired if not for the reduction in the soft cap.

Ed Curnow was our best over 30 by a long way, but is a solid B grader we won’t have much trouble replacing.

Biggest positive for this season was the continued growth of Weitering, Walsh, McKay, Williamson, Setterfield et al.

Carlton paying $1.5m a season for two half backs for the next 5-6 years.

That’s great work from their respective managers.
Saad is getting 600k for 5 years on average. Willians 750k. However Carlton have an extra 5% cap available and will front load these two. As well as they front loaded Martin last year and kreuzer and Simpson retired. Murphy also went to a 1 year deal after coming off 800k+. Blues have * loads of money. Expect big dollars still available for merrett and oliver in 2021.

It's funny you think that when Carlton have a better forwardline, backline and better midfield than Essendon. Not sure why you feel like bagging Carlton out. Enjoy what you got from the trade and wish each other the best of luck I say.

It's funny you think that when Carlton have a better forwardline, backline and better midfield than Essendon. Not sure why you feel like bagging Carlton out. Enjoy what you got from the trade and wish each other the best of luck I say.

Not when we get Dunkley my man.

Saad is getting 600k for 5 years on average. Willians 750k.
Whatever makes you sleep better.

Reports are $650k per year for five years for Saad. Williams has a six year contract and triggered a band one compo- which means he’s in the top 5% of paid players in the comp. $800k-$900k is the report. I’d suggest somewhere in between.

$1.5m for two half backs.
Good players though. They do have excellent managers to get them that coin.

Reports are $650k per year for five years for Saad. Williams has a six year contract and triggered a band one compo- which means he’s in the top 5% of paid players in the comp. $800k-$900k is the report. I’d suggest somewhere in between.

It has a lot to do with front loading. I don’t deny Williams being on 900k+ in 2021. But it’ll go down substantially from then. Martin is on 1 million in 2021. No one is talking about that. But he will be on 400k after that. carlton have been pushing contracts forward for a long time hence why we have 105% to spend this year. Two retirements on 600k plus too. Money is huge at Carlton.

Edit: if Carlton has of spent under the 1st round compo GWS would have matched. They wanted to keep him. We offered more money and they were happy with the compo. Look what geelong are going through.

Btw band 1 compo is a mystery. Top 5% is only a small part of it. I think it has more to do with age and a made up number by the afl and whether or not they’re leaving a team they care about.

It has a lot to do with front loading. I don’t deny Williams being on 900k+ in 2021. But it’ll go down substantially from then. Martin is on 1 million in 2021. No one is talking about that. But he will be on 400k after that. carlton have been pushing contracts forward for a long time hence why we have 105% to spend this year. Two retirements on 600k plus too. Money is huge at Carlton.

Edit: if Carlton has of spent under the 1st round compo GWS would have matched. They wanted to keep him. We offered more money and they were happy with the compo. Look what geelong are going through.
What's your idea of "substantially" for Williams? Loading doesn't affect FA compo, they'd just average the total over the length of the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Williams compo is based across the average of his six year deal. Which will be $800k+ to trigger it. Big coin.

Jack Martin signed a $3.2m five year deal (with incentives to earn up to $3.5m). That’s $600k-$700k a season on average. Doesn’t matter if he’s being paid less than half of it in his final three years, it’s big $$$ for a half forward.

What's your idea of "substantially" for Williams? Loading doesn't affect FA compo, they'd just average the total over the length of the deal.
I know that. I’m talking carlton have cap to spend. So it wouldn’t surprise me that Williams first year is 1-1.2 million which will pay half his second year.

The Williams compo is based across the average of his six year deal. Which will be $800k+ to trigger it. Big coin.

Jack Martin signed a $3.2m five year deal (with incentives to earn up to $3.5m). That’s $600k-$700k a season on average. Doesn’t matter if he’s being paid less than half of it in his final three years, it’s big $$$ for a half forward.
I know it’s big coin but Carlton are front loading it heavily. He will finish his 6th year on under 500k.
Be aware carlton had 105% to spend last year and missed shiel. They reshuffled and paid some players more last year which game them cap space this year. We offered Coniglio 1.2 million last year and it didn’t happen. Where did that money go. Jack newnes??

Except his first year he got 1 million. So he’s got ...... to go. Surely you can math it out.

Richmond fans probably should worry more about how they will fit their salary cap around 38 players. Considering the incentives attached to premierships, Tom Lynch and having no players out of contract. Blues are in a good spot. Worry about yourselves.

Honestly any Carlton supporter disappointed at what you paid, don't be. Once you really see what he does every week you won't be disappointed at all. All the talk about HBFs never being traded for that highly, HBFs have never been as important as they are in today's football. If I had the choice of pick 8 straight up or Saad I'd take Saad anytime.

Richmond fans probably should worry more about how they will fit their salary cap around 38 players. Considering the incentives attached to premierships, Tom Lynch and having no players out of contract. Blues are in a good spot. Worry about yourselves.
Don't think a side that's won 3 of the last 4 premierships need to worry much. You should go back to melting on the Carlton board.

Back