Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

So is Saad a genuine best 22 lock?
Looks great on the highlight reel but rarely do I bother watching a Suns game unless it's against us.

So is Saad a genuine best 22 lock?
Looks great on the highlight reel but rarely do I bother watching a Suns game unless it's against us.

Yes. Depending who you ask:

- replaces McGrath as a rebound defender
- replaces Kelly as a quarterback
- replaces Baguley as a lock down defender
- all of the above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Depending who you ask:

- replaces McGrath as a rebound defender
- replaces Kelly as a quarterback
- replaces Baguley as a lock down defender
- all of the above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Replaces Watson as an inside mid
Replaces Hooker as a KPF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saad is a strong tackler. not sure what he's like in the air defensively, but his pace and agility, combined with his tackling, will make him handy on most small forwards.
Problem may arise when he is up on the wing and the ball rebounds and his opponent is 50m behind him.
the slingshot off half-back tactic is great football to watch, but defensively can leave us exposed.

This is why your mids need to be defensive minded. If they are out of the current play they need to cover for the likes of Saad, McGrath and McKenna when they break the lines. Not just keep ambling forward 'in case' the ball happens to pop out to them and they get a cheapie. (Zaka, Myers, Goddard, Colyer and Watson come to mind. ZMerret is one who runs hard to support his backline. This needs to be the norm.)Our mids have been too guilty of this in the recent past. Pops Kelly was great at covering for his out of position team mates in our back half the last two years.

Last edited:
This is why your mids need to be defensive minded. If they are out of the current play they need to cover for the likes of Saad, McGrath and McKenna when they break the lines. Not just keep ambling forward 'in case' the ball happens to pop out to them and they get a cheapie. (Zaka, Myers, Goddard, Colyer and Watson come to mind. ZMerret is one who runs hard to support his backline. This needs to be the norm.)Our mids have been too guilty of this in the recent past. Pops Kelly was great at covering for his out of position team mates in our back half the last two years.
agree wholeheartedly on this. Our midfield needs to pick up the defensive pressure. It was one of the first improvements Hird and co made when they took over from Knights and it made a difference. Tackling pressure in the middle means less time to dispose of the ball forward, which means less time to place it to advantage and more of a chance our backs can defend the backline zone.

I imagine it will be a focus now though. 2016 was a year for the kids to get a taste. 2017 a year to transition the banned players back in and give some farewells.
2018 i am guessing will see us start to see where this list can take us.

Was watching some of the Bombers game against the WCE and noticed McKenna going for a run and thought geez it will be fun watching McKenna and Saad racing off half back.
McKenna has AA potential. I am amazed how well he came on this year.
the addition of Saad helps him too. Running up the ground with midfield support from the likes of Merrett, McGrath, Smith, Colyer and even the forwards like Stringer, Tippa and Fantasia getting up there, we have some serious class and pace in every part of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back