Senior 42. Adam Saad

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Carlton, Adam Saad!

4lwlp2.jpg

Welcome Adam !!! Couldn't be more delighted to have you in Navy Blue :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fills the hole left by Kade Simpson and allows Zac Williams to go through the middle. I really can't see any holes in our side now we absolute cherry ripe good to go👍

Replying to this from the previous thread...

This reminds of the Touhy trade with Geelong. We were all very pleased to get a 1st round pick from Geelong at the time, but I think the winners of that trade were actually Geelong as Touhy has been a real consistent HB rebounding defender that has helped them play finals for years. I think Saad will be in the same boat, pick 8 is loss, but seeing what Saad does for our team week in week out will mean we wont care about what it cost all those years ago.

Thanks for this perspective. I came on here to have a pop at our recruiting team for handing Dodoro this win, but there's some truth in your post and it's giving me pause.

We all know Saad is a good player. We need pace and good ball users, he definitely brings the former and is definitely decent in the latter.

However, it's the deal which hurts. Dodoro wins this because he starts by negotiating in bad faith (asking for Walsh, McKay etc), stands his ground on our top pick (despite his player being out of contract, i.e. no longer an Essendon player!), and doesn't budge when the media throw in a dose of pressure to get the deal done. Carlton, meanwhile, held all the cards in this scenario. Saad had nominated us, he's out of contract leaving the possibility that we get him for nothing, Essendon need the deal done to get Dunkley in, Carlton fans would have been reasonably happy to take Pick 8 to the draft. The longer the situation moved along, the more the pressure would have transferred onto Dodoro. But....we cave.

Happy to have Saad in the door. He's a good player and will be best 18. But our approach screams inexperience. And it screams fear of the fight.

in what world is anyone not happy with Saad, Williams and Fogarty for the equivalent of pick 10-11 in this years seriously compromised draft.
Glad we got a little bit back from Essendon, slightly overs but whatever. Happy to have three players in the door that can play half back, mid and mid forward and meaningfully contribute.

Welcome Adam.

We lost Pick 8 and gained Adam Saad and Zac Williams. That is enormous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back