Adam Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

That's footy. We have Worsfold and Pyke as senior coaches and Cox, Hansen, Glass as assistants elsewhere. Successful programs/eras tend to breed future coaches. Malthouse, Clarkson, Pagan, Matthews all have disciples.
Which Malthouse disciples have been successful though? One of his proteges is coaching our mob, and from memory very few if any have been successful.

If we beat the Swans this week, we will go 2 games ahead on top and Richmond play Geelong this week. Eagles fans don't want to admit it, but if that happens, there will be a few Melbourne flight search queries for September rolling around.

I've seen quite a few WC games this year and for a first year player, Waterman has been better than good. Has looked mature beyond his years. Been one of the best first year players in the comp.

He's actually a 2nd year player - Pick #77 in the 2016 National Draft.

Which Malthouse disciples have been successful though? One of his proteges is coaching our mob, and from memory very few if any have been successful.

Depends how you define success. Brad Scott, Nathan Buckley, Scott Watters, Dean Laidley, Guy McKenna, Alan Richardson, Mark Neeld were all assistants to Malthouse at Collingwood at one stage. John Worsfold and Don Pyke played under him. That's pretty impressive even if Worsfold is the only one to coach a team to a flag.

He is a first year player, dont get your nickers in a knot because you are scared of his rising star potential. 2nd year player means they are playing for a second year.

Depends how you define success. Brad Scott, Nathan Buckley, Scott Watters, Dean Laidley, Guy McKenna, Alan Richardson, Mark Neeld were all assistants to Malthouse at Collingwood at one stage. John Worsfold and Don Pyke played under him. That's pretty impressive even if Worsfold is the only one to coach a team to a flag.
None of them though who were assistants under Mick, have been successful as coaches. Watters, Laids, McKenna, Neeld, all fired as coaches. Richo in the gun.

Liked him as a Kangaroo, so was glad when we got him (from a decent club environment).

His H&A record is really good;
2014 - 11-0-11 116% (miserly year)
2015 - 16-1-5 148% (smashed scary defending premier/eventual premier in QF, near erased 3 weeks later)
2016 - 16-0-6 130% (pretty strong on paper despite the pathetic elimination exit to eventual premier awaiting)
2017 - 12-0-10 105.7% (made up for previous year elimination defeat)
2018 - 10-0-1 133.5%

Along with a 17-5 PF exit (130%), 15-7 SF exit (124%) and NAB Grand Final in 2011-12, we've had a solid decade. Even in 2013, we were 9-10 and 106% before collapsing miserably in the last 3 rounds, scoring 41, 39 and 43 and losing by an average of 71 (just putrid).

Last edited:
Yes, but it's his second year on your list.

Doesn't matter. He is a debutant in 2018. It's his first year. He is a first year player. Hell, MOST players don't play the year they are drafted, doesn't mean suddenly all those players are 2nd year players. That's ludicrous.

I don't see this bloke gets mentioned much on here (MB), not sure he gets the exposure or credit he deserves, particularly from the Vic centric media.

In 2015 he took the Eagles to the GF from nowhere.
In 2016 he got them to a home final.
In 2017 he won an elimination final on the road.
In 2018 he has them humming on top of the ladder, one game clear, with 10 straight wins, and that was with 3 of his most important players in Kennedy, NicNat and Shuey unavailable for games. Some "experts" had them either on or towards the bottom.

Currently has a 65% career win rate, one of the best of all coaches.

Are Eagles fans happy with him? Will he be your next premiership coach?

What do neutrals think of him?

There would certainly be some footy romance to the possible outcome of
Clarko 2015 premiership coach
Bevo 2016 premiership coach
Dimma 2017 premiership coach
Simmo 2018 premiership coach

I think he is a very good coach but he also has a very good list to work with.

The nucleus of high end talent was already there before he arrived.

Shuey, Kennedy, Nic Nat, Darling, Sheppard & Gaff.

You compare that with St Kilda who basically only had Carlisle & Billings plus a close to retirement Roo and Joey. (I don’t rate Steven as an A grader because of his disposal.) Ross is just below the A grade category.

You compare that with St Kilda who basically only had Carlisle & Billings plus a close to retirement Roo and Joey. (I don’t rate Steven as an A grader because of his disposal.) Ross is just below the A grade category.

Why did no one tell Robert Walls this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we play like Hawthorn so no wonder. Probably nostalgia.

In year #1 Simmo followed Clarko for sure, half distance passes from Shannon Hurn was my abiding memory of those days, tearing hair out.
He was forced into the web as the talls went down for the season & has gone down his own path ever since, IMHO.

What I like of Simmo is he has continued to develop a game plan based around the talent available, when its seems coaches come up with some u-beaut game plan that takes more than one season to drum into natural footballers.

Long way to go in 2018.

Doesn't matter. He is a debutant in 2018. It's his first year. He is a first year player. Hell, MOST players don't play the year they are drafted, doesn't mean suddenly all those players are 2nd year players. That's ludicrous.

Not "ludicrous" at all. This is his second year on an AFL list, but the first year he has played a senior game.

Is Paul Ahern (Pick #7 in the 2014 National Draft) a 1st or 4th year player, given that he played his first senior game in 2018?

He's a very good coach of a very good team. Would love to see them silence a hostile Richmond MCG crowd in Septemer.
Pretty sad for a saints supporter to not wish his own team silence anyone in September but would prefer to see two other teams battle it out. I guess it tells me how putrid some of their so called supporters are...

Ah Chee, Barrass, Cole, Duggan, Jetta, Nelson, Redden, Rioli, Sheed, Waterman all featured in our last game and were recruited under Simpson. Ryan, Venables, Petruccelle, Ainsworth have all featured this year and Vardy was handy last year. I think this current side has a definite Simpson flavour to it.

Remember that Al Clarkson walked into a Hawthorn that had a young Mitchell, Hodge and Croad, Campbell Brown, Nathan Thompson, Shane Crawford with a couple of years left etc. plus draft picks 2 & 5 and eventually 7 as well. Damien Hardwick won a flag in 2017 with Rance, Cotchin and Riewoldt who were all drafted before he got there in 2009 and Martin who was drafted at pick 3 when he arrived. John Worsfold inherited Glass, Kerr, Cousins, Cox and pick 3 (Judd). Etc.

Ah Chee, Barrass, Cole, Duggan, Jetta, Nelson, Redden, Rioli, Sheed, Waterman all featured in our last game and were recruited under Simpson. Ryan, Venables, Petruccelle, Ainsworth have all featured this year and Vardy was handy last year. I think this current side has a definite Simpson flavour to it.

Remember that Al Clarkson walked into a Hawthorn that had a young Mitchell, Hodge and Croad, Campbell Brown, Nathan Thompson, Shane Crawford with a couple of years left etc. plus draft picks 2 & 5 and eventually 7 as well. Damien Hardwick won a flag in 2017 with Rance, Cotchin and Riewoldt who were all drafted before he got there in 2009 and Martin who was drafted at pick 3 when he arrived. John Worsfold inherited Glass, Kerr, Cousins, Cox and pick 3 (Judd). Etc.

:thumbsu:
For any new coach where that club finished the year before he started, is the initial benchmark for success/failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back