Free Agency Adam Tomlinson [Signs for Melbourne, GWS receive #40 as compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

Really?

My apologies was under the impression he was restricted, and he was on very good coin (600 to 700k)

Thats ok, but I'm sure he is still on decent coin even if he isn't in the top 25% at the club and will no doubt get paid a lot better by just about any other club

Would love him at Port. We need experienced players who aren't too old and at 26 he'd help fill the age gap in our list. Would most likely play on a wing at Port replacing the Hoff.

Not sure if that is true as he is actually an unrestricted free agent not a restricted one and to qualify to be unrestricted 'Players are not in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for unrestricted free agency if they have served at least eight years with the club'.
A list was release a while ago, all of the thread titles are accurate at least with regard to restricted vs unrestricted free agency.

Yeah, he should have moved out of the Giants long ago.

Except he has consistently wanted to stay - and taken unders to do so for a number of contract extensions.

Has never given any indication he wants to leave (quite the opposite actually) and has never shown any sign that money is the determining factor.

FWIW, while I wouldn’t be overly surprised if he does leave but I actually think he might stay. It’s a personality/loyalty/culture thing.

But I’ve said it’s extremely optimistic to think they will give up millions (100-300k a year under what they’ll get elsewhere) to sign at gws.

They might take slight unders to stay, but not millions over their contracts, and the 900-1m a season that he suggested would be 100’s of thousands below what they get offered

And yet, that’s what it appears Cogs has done.
From various reports Cogs will receive close to (but not) a million from us - also reported is that he was offered between $1.1 and $1.4 million, from 3 different clubs.

Over 7 years that $300-400k adds up to $2.1-2.8 million over the life of the contract.

For some people football is not all about money.

Tomlinson is a good handy player. Saints looking to improve the list which is good. I reckon they Get Hill,Ryder,Tomlinson and Constable. Jones I reckon will go to north.

also reported is that he was offered between $1.1 and $1.4 million, from 3 different clubs. Over 7 years that $300-400k adds up to $2.1-2.8 million over the life of the contract.

Where was it reported that he had offers of 1.4m over 7 years? Please quote

So you reckon 2.1-2.8 extra he turned down? you’re saying he had offers of 9.1-9.8m?

******* bullshit he did. Lol.

Where was it reported that he had offers of 1.4m over 7 years? Please quote

So you reckon 2.1-2.8 extra he turned down? you’re saying he had offers of 9.1-9.8m?

******* bulls**t he did. Lol.
This story doesn't explain annual figures, but it does speculate on the total amount. Suspect you'll find other stories with more detail if you search.

In signing a landmark seven-year deal with the Giants, Coniglio not only turned his back on a move to a high profile Victorian club, by as much as $3 million.
Bartel said he and the club were “very confident” Coniglio would follow in the footsteps of Josh Kelly and recommit to the Giants. But he wasn’t underselling the significance of Coniglio’s move to turn his back on millions of dollars of the lifespan of his contract. “He was more than in the mix to stay, we were very confident he would stay,” Bartel said. “He’s left a lot of money on the table but he’s a foundation member of the Giants and he gets the bigger picture.

Anyway, does it matter that much? He signed for GWS and eschewed more money at other clubs. You can choose to believe it or not, it's irrelevant really.

We could possibly get back to Tommo in this thread - he's certainly gettable if a club really wants him. Cheaper than Cogs too. ;)

This story doesn't explain annual figures, but it does speculate on the total amount. Suspect you'll find other stories with more detail if you search.

In signing a landmark seven-year deal with the Giants, Coniglio not only turned his back on a move to a high profile Victorian club, by as much as $3 million.
Bartel said he and the club were “very confident” Coniglio would follow in the footsteps of Josh Kelly and recommit to the Giants. But he wasn’t underselling the significance of Coniglio’s move to turn his back on millions of dollars of the lifespan of his contract. “He was more than in the mix to stay, we were very confident he would stay,” Bartel said. “He’s left a lot of money on the table but he’s a foundation member of the Giants and he gets the bigger picture.

Anyway, does it matter that much? He signed for GWS and eschewed more money at other clubs. You can choose to believe it or not, it's irrelevant really.

We could possibly get back to Tommo in this thread - he's certainly gettable if a club really wants him. Cheaper than Cogs too. ;)

As you said yourself... speculated the total amount.

It didn’t even attribute who was speculating lol.

As for getting back on topic take it up with the poster who quoted a year old post where I said cogs and kelly might stay for unders but not for massive unders in response to a poster who thought they might sign on for 700-900k over a few years.

It's hard to gauge Tomlinson's value, and where he fits if he was to leave the Giants. Even with GWS, he seems like a bit of a "spare part" player, albeit one that gets a regular game and plenty of gametime (has played 70 of a possible 71 games over the last three years, averaging 89.71% gametime)

Tomlinson is listed at 194cm and 96kg, is a good runner for his size, which allows him to play through the midfield most of the time (usually as a winger). He doesn't get enough ball as a mid, and despite his size, isn't a contested ballwinner or hard tackler to make up for it (a la someone like Hugh Greenwood or Rupert Wills). He isn't a particularly prolifically damaging user of the footy in terms of inside 50s and score involvements either (poor disposal efficiency and high turnover rate this year, given that nearly 2/3rds of his possessions are uncontested, but that's way down on past output for some reason). He is next to useless in the relief ruck duties he's had this year, doesn't really play to his size as a defender when he's been in that role (can only really play a loose intercept role), and didn't kick goals when he's played as a lead-up CHF. He's a frequent marker (due to his running ability allowing him to link up), but a nearly non-existent contested marker for his size, averaging 5.76 marks but just 0.40 contested marks per game for his career.

For the price he'd want, and the expectation of a regular game he'd come with, I don't really see where he fits with too many other clubs. I think a combination of getting a regular game in a good side, the "potential" his size and athleticism creates in people's minds (he looks like a physical specimen and "the prototype" for the modern footballer - blond, tanned, that "eye-catching" bicep/delt definition/separation - but has bit of "built like Tarzan, plays like Jane" about him too), and being a Top 10 draft pick once upon a time, as well as getting 52 disposals in a NEAFL game in 2016, all serves to overrate him. He's really just a pretty average AFL footballer all up though.

Tommo is a very interesting player. He has elite running ability and good size and versatility to cover a number of roles.

His kicking can sometimes be elite and at other times he can miss easy targets.

A few years ago he put a whole lot of bulk on and I think it was really counter productive in that it cost him agility. I would love to see him strip his weight right back and use him as a running utility.

He is a very good big game player and has frequently aimed up when we needed him.

I feel he plays his best footy at the wide expanses of the MCG so if I was him I would be looking to get to Melbourne, Collingwood or Richmond (provided they were interested) as he could be very useful playing there every 2nd week and in finals.

If he left I feel a Jackson Hately is quite similar in his attributes and could eventually cover that position but in saying that he’s been such a loyal clubman and one of the pioneers so would be very happy if he stuck around.

He’s a champion person that fans and team mates love and will make any club he plays for a better place.

Last edited:
Tommo is a very interesting player. He has elite running ability and good size and versatility to cover a number of roles.

His kicking can sometimes be elite and at other times he can miss easy targets.

A few years ago he put a whole lot of bulk on and I think it was really counter productive in that it cost him agility. I would love to see him strip his weight right back and use him as a running utility.

He is a very good big game player and has frequently aimed up when we needed him.

I feel he plays his best footy at the wide expanses of the MCG so if I was him I would be looking to get to Melbourne, Collingwood or Richmond (provided they were interested) as he could be very useful playing there every 2nd week and in finals.

If he left I feel a Jackson Hately is quite similar in his attributes and could eventually cover that position but in saying that he’s been such a loyal clubman and one of the pioneers so would be very happy if he stuck around.

He’s a champion person that fans and team mates love and will make any club he plays for a better place.
Haha I love this. I think the sentence you're looking for is: his kicking is okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha I love this. I think the sentence you're looking for is: his kicking is okay.

Thanks mate no hint of Hawthorn arrogance there so good job 👍

His kicking can be mixed. He is the kind of bloke that at times could hit a player with limited time and space but he can also miss a bloke 15 out with no pressure.

Overall I’d say his kicking is above average and not a major concern. His lack of agility can be problematic as that often leads to a lack of time and the errors that come with that.

Needs to strip down his weight and work with a sprint coach as his other attributes and ability to play well in big games are very useful.

Would love Tomlinson on the opposing wing to Langdon. Running machine with good skills and we'd get him for free

Done deal to the Dees according to my source. Will be looked to play in a Tom Lynch (adel) type role. Goodwin loves his aerobic capacity.
I think he has to start deeper forward than Lynch and run around like Ben Brown.
He is lost on the wing, seems to overthink everything and never moves the ball on fast enough.

Wasn't one of the big factors going to be the status of Cogs' contract? Figured he was waiting to see what kind of money the Giants would offer based on their cap position for next year. With Cogs re-signing, I don't imagine he'd be getting offered anything decent, so he might be enticed by the offer of decent coin from the Saints. Seems the loyal type so could always stay for unders, but I imagine the amount of money he'd be turning down could be pretty significant

Neroli Meadows reporting pre-game that the Dees looking like a likely suitor. Don’t know if it’s all just a beat up because he was excluded for today’s game, but would be a great get for us if he does want to leave the Giants.

Neroli Meadows reporting pre-game that the Dees looking like a likely suitor. Don’t know if it’s all just a beat up because he was excluded for today’s game, but would be a great get for us if he does want to leave the Giants.
I would take him, he is better then a lot of guys on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back