Free Agency Adam Tomlinson [Signs for Melbourne, GWS receive #40 as compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

Showed up for the dud he is today. GWS not accepting a first rounder from the saints a couple of years back continues to be one of the worst trade decisions.
Cant be worse then the time Bulldogs offered a first for Matthew Lobbe, only for port to trade him 2 years later for pick 95. Charlie Curnow was selected with that same 1st rounder also.

That was Carlton, Gubby Allen era refused to trade under contract players, McCarthy etc. Pick 10 IIRC.

We got Charlie Curnow with that pick (12 after academy picks).

Dodged a bullet there.

Lol have to laugh at all the arm chair experts saying he is a spud, Please he is playing Professional Football and regular been in the best 22 playing most weeks. It's the same as those people who think Jenkins is a spud it doesn't matter nearly played 150 games and kicked close to 300 odd goals and made a living playing professional Football but yet some say he is spud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant be worse then the time Bulldogs offered a first for Matthew Lobbe, only for port to trade him 2 years later for pick 95. Charlie Curnow was selected with that same 1st rounder also.
Who is the fool in that scenario ? The one who offered or the one that didn't take it for a Spud??

Dodged a bloody rocket! My God. You couldn't see a more ordinary footballer shown up on the biggest stage.

Remember we had our media team all set up to announce the trade? Many of us were disappointed it didn't happen.

This sort of thing would wake you screaming in the middle of the night.

Lol have to laugh at all the arm chair experts saying he is a spud, Please he is playing Professional Football and regular been in the best 22 playing most weeks. It's the same as those people who think Jenkins is a spud it doesn't matter nearly played 150 games and kicked close to 300 odd goals and made a living playing professional Football but yet some say he is spud.

Ok well he's not a spud, but he certainly isn't worth paying a 500-600k a year salary for.

Just to make you happy - by AFL STANDARDS he is slow and poorly skilled. Yes he is faster and better skilled than me, but that's not who he has to play against.

Ok well he's not a spud, but he certainly isn't worth paying a 500-600k a year salary for.

Just to make you happy - by AFL STANDARDS he is slow and poorly skilled. Yes he is faster and better skilled than me, but that's not who he has to play against.

First of all how would any of us know What Tomlinson is going to get paid, Since he has been playing regular senior Football he is better than the Avg player in the System.

First of all how would any of us know What Tomlinson is going to get paid, Since he has been playing regular senior Football he is better than the Avg player in the System.

Because it's presumably what it'd take to get a guy who has turned down offers in the past to stay at GWS, but considering he is likely to get a paycut to keep Coniglio, Kelly, Haynes etc contracts. He isn't going to move for 300k a year.

That's a daft and simplistic point of view. He's tall and a utility - that would be why he gets regular senior football. Doesn't make him any good compared to other AFL players. Under Brad Scott North were full of stars - Atley, McDonald, Macmillan, Hansen, Gibson and so. What, you say, they aren't? But they were getting regular games at senior level!!

Because it's presumably what it'd take to get a guy who has turned down offers in the past to stay at GWS, but considering he is likely to get a paycut to keep Coniglio, Kelly, Haynes etc contracts. He isn't going to move for 300k a year.

That's a daft and simplistic point of view. He's tall and a utility - that would be why he gets regular senior football. Doesn't make him any good compared to other AFL players. Under Brad Scott North were full of stars - Atley, McDonald, Macmillan, Hansen, Gibson and so. What, you say, they aren't? But they were getting regular games at senior level!!

Never said he would move for 300k, Said no one has no idea what he has been offered Since the avg wage is slightly under 400K a year think someone like him 400k to 450k be about right but at end of the day you are worth what a team willing to pay.

Just saying he is better than the avg player and certainly isn't a spud, Not everyone can play like Dusty and Fyfe lot of teams are filled with role players than do their job.

Just saying he is better than the avg player and certainly isn't a spud, Not everyone can play like Dusty and Fyfe lot of teams are filled with role players than do their job.

Agreed. He's far from being a star, but could definitely fill a role for us with his two way running ability and versatility. There is no cost involved other than salary and even then, I doubt we would be breaking the bank for him considering we have offers for Langdon and Elliott out there too.

Not enthused by the prospect of getting him. Yes, many players better than him have s**t the bed far worse on the biggest stage, so that in isolation is not worrying.

However, having watched him for a long time, he is basically the consummate tweener. Not quite key position, not quite fast or smart enough as a midfielder and not robust enough as a ruckman. He’s the sort of player that will look good in a win but diabolical in a loss. A solid 25-30 player on the list that will play more games than most as he seems to be quite durable. Finishing 17th doesn’t really give us the right to turn up our nose at this sort of player but getting excited over him is a bit like salivating over Cam Pedersen.

I can't believe the hate this bloke is getting.

He will probably come in for 450-500k tops over 4 years, that's a bog average contract. He instantly makes us better either as another midfield "get out of trouble" kick coming out of defence, and will play a defensive wing position that should help stop us being so easily opened up on transition like happened this year 20 times a game.

He's an instant upgrade on anyone else we've had playing wing, not only because he can get up the ground, but more importantly get back and help defend- a trait Melbourne midfielders have battled to instill over the past 12 months. 6 marks a game shows he can help on the spread. He is not going to be averaging 30 disposals a game, but if he can chip in with the occasional goal or 2, and help defend when we don't have the ball coming out of our attacking 50- an area we were the worst on record this year, then he is a massive help.

By the time we add Langdon on the other wing, we have 2 players who ultimately help our width from being sucked into the contest too far, or being beaten out the back. I know it was my most hated part this year watching our fill in wingmen suck to the ball, and have the opposition streak clear. I am happy that the FD have clearly identified this too, and with that I am pleased with the impending signature.

This reminds me very similar of Geelong in the 2018 trade period targeting the likes of Rohan from Sydney. A player needed for a role which was significantly hindering Geelong. Half way through the year Rohan was in AA discussion such was his impact. I'm not saying Tomlinson will be the same success, but he fits a huge need for the dees and should help improve one of our weaknesses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back