Recommitted Adam Tomlinson

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We offered a 5 year deal? You have the article handy where the Saints stated that? Dont believe everything you hear on trade radio - more miss than hit.

Btw I never said Tomlinson was a spud. I just think we'll put an exceptionally high price on 7+8.

I'm a bit the same. I don't actually see the need with Brown, Carlisle and Roberton plus Goddard waiting in the wings. Unless I'm missing something I think you'd be best investing small with those picks whether it be through the draft or trade.

Perhaps splitting the picks to say Carlton for 3 & 21 (post Rockliff compo) offers better value. Go to the draft with 3 and float 21 for another midfield number.

I don't understand the Tomlinson talk at all. As far as I know he is currently very happy in Sydney and as much as the family would love him back in Melbourne, it ain't happening. I would be shocked if he was traded right now.
I've heard the same thing

You may think that way but doubt our list management team do.

We have offered 5 years supposedly, so we're keen. If we're keen on him you'd think it's certain we'd have to involve 7 or 8, potentially with later swaps.

Don’t get it myself his partner is Sydney paparazzi royalty , athlete, suffered brain tumour operation this year.

Think it is beat up ..

I'd happily see 8 go to GWS for Tomlinson (preferably with change if it happens late in the week), are we really going to see somebody better than him slip to 8 in this years draft? Probably not.

Brown gets like 5 posessions a game, sometimes he can shut a kpf out of a game but when he can't we are basically playing 1 man down in defense.

Normally I think I can see past the biased and look at what is a fair trade. I knew we'd have to give up 5 for Carlisle as long as we got something good back. Steele was always a second rounder.

But I just can't for the life of me work out why Tomlinson would be a top 8 pick. He only just this year managed to cement a spot for the whole year. He's never been near an AA squad and I'm not sure he would have ever even finished top ten in a b&f?

I'd like to get him as he suits his need and obviously the fact he's contracted makes it harder, but a straight swap for pick 8 would be madness.

If he is worth pick 8 what would Kelly have cost if he'd walked!! :eek:

It also works out as more than we paid for Carlisle (who was the same age, had come top 6 in a B&F at 21yo and had had individual games of 8 goals, 19 marks, etc) and it's what seems to be the consensus view of what the likewise contracted Andrew Gaff would be worth this trade period, if West Coast agreed to trade him to us.

The Gaff that won a B&F in a GF team at 23yo and also made the AA team, and who then got 21 Brownlow votes the following year! :D

Tomlinson averaged just 13 disposals and 5 marks per game this year and took a paltry total of 4 contested marks, and on the AFL Player Ratings website, he averaged a rating of just 5 out of 10 per game.

On what planet do clubs pay a top 8 pick straight out for someone like that, who will be 25yo the following year!? :drunk:

I sincerely hope we'd walk away if that was the asking price. You don't throw away valuable top 10 picks on "solid role players" who aren't going to be the difference between you winning the premiership the next year or not.

Last edited:
Wilson, Kennedy, Smith and now Tomlinson. That's 3 best 22's and a future best 22. You'd have to be worried about what's to come if losing that much talent in one year.

Saints should definitely give one of 7 or 8. Tomlinson will be the rock in defence for the next 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is worth pick 8 what would Kelly have cost if he'd walked!! :eek:

It also works out as more than we paid for Carlisle (who was the same age, had come top 6 in a B&F at 21yo and had had individual games of 8 goals, 19 marks, etc) and it's what seems to be the consensus view of what the likewise contracted Andrew Gaff would be worth this trade period, if West Coast agreed to trade him to us.

The Gaff that won a B&F in a GF team at 23yo and also made the AA team, and who then got 21 Brownlow votes the following year! :D

Tomlinson averaged just 13 disposals and 5 marks per game this year and took a paltry total of 4 contested marks, and on the AFL Player Ratings website, he averaged a rating of just 5 out of 10 per game.

On what planet do clubs pay a top 8 pick straight out for someone like that, who will be 25yo the following year!? :drunk:

I sincerely hope we'd walk away if that was the asking price. You don't throw away valuable top 10 picks on "solid role players" who aren't going to be the difference between you winning the premiership the next year or not.

I agree with your thoughts on Tomlinson, but StKilda seem to be going for it knowing that the price will be very highly inflated because of the circumstances.

They obviously are in Go mode.

*if this is all true about tabling the offer

He's athletically good, but ordinary in the air and has suspect decision making and disposal. If you build around him, you're building on dodgy foundations.

This is rubbish.

His main attributes are his running ability and reading of play, he is a good mark and since being put in a defensive position he has proven a very good contributor who can also run the wing on bigger grounds.

He is no good up forward and our biggest knock on him would be a lack of agility as he can be lumbering. I reckon this can be addressed if he stripped some bulk and got a bit leaner.

He is actually a good kick however in defensive situations he has made poor kicking decisions which have proven costly. Again this is fixable as his technique is sound.

He was a big improver this year, his best is ahead of him.

Wilson, Kennedy, Smith and now Tomlinson. That's 3 best 22's and a future best 22. You'd have to be worried about what's to come if losing that much talent in one year.

Saints should definitely give one of 7 or 8. Tomlinson will be the rock in defence for the next 10 years.
We aren't going to lose Tomlinson, unless we receive an offer too good to refuse. He extended to 2020 3 months ago. Clubs have to turn over least at 3 players a year minimum.
Your post is nonsense.

#culture

This is rubbish.

His main attributes are his running ability and reading of play, he is a good mark and since being put in a defensive position he has proven a very good contributor who can also run the wing on bigger grounds.

He is no good up forward and our biggest knock on him would be a lack of agility as he can be lumbering. I reckon this can be addressed if he stripped some bulk and got a bit leaner.

He is actually a good kick however in defensive situations he has made poor kicking decisions which have proven costly. Again this is fixable as his technique is sound.

He was a big improver this year, his best is ahead of him.

The strength and conditioning staff at GWS are terrible. A couple of years with S&C who know what they are doing should work wonders for Tomlimson.

He's athletically good, but ordinary in the air and has suspect decision making and disposal. If you build around him, you're building on dodgy foundations.
He's actually become an excellent spoiler, and lock down defender. In that role his stats make sense. His decision making has improved a hell of a lot.
For a long time we stluggled to find the spot for him. He isn't great at ground level and doesn't defend small forwards as well as Davis or Corr on this years form.
He's always struggled as a forward/Wing and with his tank you'd expect better.
He was best on ground in the PF playing on a wing because there was no match up in the Tigers forwards though. Leon's opinion not mine. That's a very promising sign.

A few things such as the staff couldn't get Delidio onto the park so you brought in someone who knew what they were doing. They had him playing in 2 weeks.
You dont think maybe Deledio's calf issues were not a two week plan? I'm now convinced you haven't got a clue, thanks for clarifying that.

10 years is a bit optimistic considering he's 25 but I get your point. He's just about to hit his straps and probably has his best 5 years ahead of him.

You dont think maybe Deledio's calf issues were not a two week plan? I'm now convinced you haven't got a clue, thanks for clarifying that.

Then why did it take all year for him to play if it were a two week plan?

Also ask any Dog supporters about Tom Boyds body shape when he came. They said you put way too much muscle on him for him to play his best football.

Seems the penny has dropped with the Saints that maybe Nathan Brown is not the answer.

Tomlinson would be a great get. Might be expensive though
Nathan Brown was never the answer and no one claimed he would be. He was a stop gap that we got for free and played his role.

Unfortunately Goddard got another long term injury this year which has put doubts around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back