Free Agency Adam Tomlinson [Signs for Melbourne, GWS receive #40 as compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2z1zd2.jpg

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Do they have 1.1mil for coniglio 1.2mil for Kelly and 650k-700k for Tomlinson

3mil of salary space?

I think you are over rating the worth of Tomlinson, he is an ok player and worth 500k to the Giants IMO and if a club is willing to pay him 700k they should offer it. Averages 15-20 disposals a game and has average disposal I think people get excited because of his size and flexibility but he is average to poor in most positions except link up wingman (I see his potential as a poor mans Tom Lynch/Crows) and playing with elite players around him make him look good
I can see the contracts in front of Kelly and Coniglio being the same at 900k-1 mil and the club will stick too that as it has too many other players to worry about where by 1 player cannot hold the club to ransom, all just my opinion and we will see at the end of the year where the contracts are
1 actually think clubs should be looking at the OOC 2020 players on the Giants list to see if they can entice any of them and the only problem with that is that generally the trade cost will be higher, for example maybe North should have explored the Finlayson trade a bit more

Do they have 1.1mil for coniglio 1.2mil for Kelly and 650k-700k for Tomlinson

3mil of salary space?

Well actually it's not really 3mil that needs to be pull out of our arse because their current contracts already make up part of the current salary cap.

So they just need space for the contract upgrades, which would be much less than 3mil.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think you are over rating the worth of Tomlinson, he is an ok player and worth 500k to the Giants IMO and if a club is willing to pay him 700k they should offer it. Averages 15-20 disposals a game and has average disposal I think people get excited because of his size and flexibility but he is average to poor in most positions except link up wingman (I see his potential as a poor mans Tom Lynch/Crows) and playing with elite players around him make him look good
I can see the contracts in front of Kelly and Coniglio being the same at 900k-1 mil and the club will stick too that as it has too many other players to worry about where by 1 player cannot hold the club to ransom, all just my opinion and we will see at the end of the year where the contracts are
1 actually think clubs should be looking at the OOC 2020 players on the Giants list to see if they can entice any of them and the only problem with that is that generally the trade cost will be higher, for example maybe North should have explored the Finlayson trade a bit more

Coniglio and kelly signing for 900k-1m is very very optimistic.

They’ll get offers above that. 1.2+

Over several years that will add up.

Tomlinson could get a very big offer from port. We’ve got money to burn in our cap right now and value hard runners.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Coniglio and kelly signing for 900k-1m is very very optimistic.

They’ll get offers above that. 1.2+

Over several years that will add up.

Tomlinson could get a very big offer from port. We’ve got money to burn in our cap right now and value hard runners.
Not necessarily.

Who says they don't want to stick together?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah i could see AT being squeezed out with Cogs and Jelly re-signing at GWS

Carlton were very keen a few years ago, but I don't think he is really a pressing need for us.

Think Collingwood or St Kilda would suit him and his style of play, I get the feeling he will get considerable 'overs' if he leaves (much like North paid for Polec)

Trouble for interstate club fans like the Port fan above is that he is a Victorian/Melbourne boy at heart, I can't see him leaving GWS to play elsewhere but in Victoria (been wrong before though)

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not necessarily.

Who says they don't want to stick together?

They may

My comments don’t preclude that

As I said it’s extremely optimistic to think those 2 players sign for 900-1m

Gaff and McGovern signed for more than that and cogs and kelly are gonna attract higher bids and salaries are only going up.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Just think if Tomlinson was going why didnt we trade him last year when he would be worth more...

Think he is just awaiting the stars to get theirs sorted then his will be quickly thereafter.

I could and possibly am wrong. But that's just a gut feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
They may

My comments don’t preclude that

As I said it’s extremely optimistic to think those 2 players sign for 900-1m

Gaff and McGovern signed for more than that and cogs and kelly are gonna attract higher bids and salaries are only going up.

You have to remember that GWS also have quite a lot of players on basic/average wage like De Boer and Sheridan, plus they jettisoned Scully and his massive contract.

Giants have to be in the box seat to re-sign Cogs and Jelly.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You have to remember that GWS also have quite a lot of players on basic/average wage like De Boer and Sheridan, plus they jettisoned Scully and his massive contract.

Giants have to be in the box seat to re-sign Cogs and Jelly.

I’ve never once said they won’t stay.

But I’ve said it’s extremely optimistic to think they will give up millions (100-300k a year under what they’ll get elsewhere) to sign at gws.

They might take slight unders to stay, but not millions over their contracts, and the 900-1m a season that he suggested would be 100’s of thousands below what they get offered

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I’ve never once said they won’t stay.

But I’ve said it’s extremely optimistic to think they will give up millions (100-300k a year under what they’ll get elsewhere) to sign at gws.

They might take slight unders to stay, but not millions over their contracts, and the 900-1m a season that he suggested would be 100’s of thousands below what they get offered
I don't think it's "extremely optimistic". Some of the money being bandied about is a bit silly. From memory there were 5 players on 1m a season on the AFL figures last year. We might have 1 in Cameron and Kelly is likely close this year.

This thread is about Tomlinson though, and it's become a joke at the club how often the press has said he is leaving. He's said he's happy to wait until the "big fish" are sorted and that's where we currently stand.

Last edited:

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just think if Tomlinson was going why didnt we trade him last year when he would be worth more...

Think he is just awaiting the stars to get theirs sorted then his will be quickly thereafter.

I could and possibly am wrong. But that's just a gut feel.

I don’t think any club would be willing to give anything higher than a late first round for him. He’s a solid player, nothing spectacular, honestly can’t remember him having a massive influence on games. Would gws be happy with a compo pick between 12-16? Cause I doubt very highly you’d get more in a trade

I don’t think any club would be willing to give anything higher than a late first round for him. He’s a solid player, nothing spectacular, honestly can’t remember him having a massive influence on games. Would gws be happy with a compo pick between 12-16? Cause I doubt very highly you’d get more in a trade
Yep plus clubs would have been happy to wait a year to get him as a free agent instead of coughing up something last year

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Not looking to trade him so no problem.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd be very surprised if he were to get the Giants a band one compo

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
No need for a trade now anyway. Gws are smart, if they get a first round compo I think they let him go. You’ve got plenty of kids who are more talented sitting in the twos almost ready to come through.
The only parallel I can think of wuth Tommo is Blicavs. He doesn't get as much recognition but the coaches really do love him. He's now a guy they give pretty much any job to do with confidence.

I follow our games closely and I cant predict week to week what job he's got each game.
I think he's more valuable to us than people real8se and not easy to replace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back