Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

jc37

All Australian
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
We gave them more draft points than they gave us. So effectively they got Treloar for free with us paying $300k for privlkege. Given that I hope we walk lipinski through the pre season draft. As for adam i wish him the best.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
He would be most likely but its still a pretty high bar to become as good a players as Treloar has been.

Ollie looks plenty talented but he is undersized if he wants to remain a marking forward predominantly. Will need further developing, he could become as good as Trelaor but probably doesnt.
Ollie is almost the perfect size for the third tall role, given his leap and mark. Fritsch just showed us how valuable that role is when it matters.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
How does repeating yourself incessantly change things?

They ended up in the position they ended up in and heads have rolled because of it.

Despite all that I’m comfortable that the three players they chose to move on were the right three. ( edit… they also shopped Cox but couldnt get a deal done. Treloar was always at the top of the list though).

Good for you.

All I did was explain wrong doing by the club and then other posters get in semantics about the wording and then 'get over it'.

It's a forum for a reason, if you don't like my posting there's an ignore button.

Last edited:
Ollie could easily become as good as Gunston, Fritsch
And McCrae could comfortably be as good AT.
That’s a very bullish assessment. Gunston has a massive career. These things could happen, not easily, but I think the more
likely is he becomes a smaller version of his brother, and probably stays forward.

McCrae has shown promise but comfortably good as Treloar again is way above what realistic expectations should be. These over expectations on our youngsters mean when they turn out to be more just good solid AFL players everyone gets down on them.

He's a marking forward due to his speed and ability. He's like Jamie Elliott. He's small but plays a marking forward.
I understand that, he hasn’t got Elliots ground game at this stage. It’s very early
days for these kids. Too early to make the big calls

Ollie is almost the perfect size for the third tall role, given his leap and mark. Fritsch just showed us how valuable that role is when it matters.
I reckon a bit taller in better. Maybe Ash Johnston size. But Ollies got talent. Is he AFL best in the role like a Gunston been or like Fritschs 2021 suggested. That’s the upper ceiling most likely , be fantastic but I don’t think easily achieved.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
That’s a very bullish assessment. Gunston has a massive career. These things could happen, not easily, but I think the more
likely is he becomes a smaller version of his brother, and probably stays forward.

McCrae has shown promise but comfortably good as Treloar again is way above what realistic expectations should be. These over expectations on our youngsters mean when they turn out to be more just good solid AFL players everyone gets down on them.

There is nothing wrong with having a positive view on those talented kids who seem to have high ceilings.
Whether they ultimately reach that ceiling is completely irrelevant, but to be continually downcast and pessimistic on their prospects, in the guise of being realistic, is regrettable.
As supporters we are lurch from optimism to pessimism on any given player/issue during the year.

I prefer to be optimistic on a talented kid until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
So with hindsight you’re happy we did the deal given the kids we got - that’s what’s important.
All your other angst around the deal is just wasted energy - let it go.

Kids is a bit of an exaggeration - Stepho + Treloar got us Henry and enough points for about a quarter of Nick Daicos. Henry does look a ripper though.

Ideally your third tall forward is a 200cm second ruck. Ollie just looks like a potential gun, general forward who can do a bit of everything.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Way more to this story. Collingwood can cop it for incompetent salary cap management but this innocent top bloke Treloar stuff I am not convinced of.

There is a lot more to it than salary cap space for Collingwood to have done it in this manner.
Looking back on this.

Your club and Buckley copped it over this but always felt behind the scenes they knew what they were doing.

Were difficult decisions like this a necessary part of building a premiership winning team?

Was Nathan Buckley a little unlucky in getting harsh treatment when taking necessary steps to build a large part of the list that won the premiership yesterday?

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Looking back on this.

Your club and Buckley copped it over this but always felt behind the scenes they knew what they were doing.

Were difficult decisions like this a necessary part of building a premiership winning team?

Was Nathan Buckley a little unlucky in getting harsh treatment when taking necessary steps to build a large part of the list that won the premiership yesterday?
I don't think Buckley gets much of the credit for this list assembling. McRae has gotten them to gel as they never had under Buckley, many of the key new recruits came under the new management team, others had little to do with Buckley (father-son / academy players making up 4/23).

Whilst the steps we took were necessary, it was still handled poorly

Scud2

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking back on this.

My take:

Huge Bucks influence in this side / list. McRae however did galvanise the group and absolutely refreshed and taken them to the next level. Big props to Graham Wright as well.

But Bucks (and Eddie) were the face of the racism issues. The club was torn down by that more than Treloar / list management issues. Being the face of the club, Bucks was the man that went down (and Ed of course).

kartanoman

Rookie
Feb 2, 2007
Surprise, Arizona USA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Rangers, New York Giants
I just rewatched the fateful final quarter of the 2018 Grand Final. This weekend's triumph allowed me, along with many here, the opportunity to finally let go of some of the anguish and be able to watch it once more. Seeing younger versions of Cox, DeGoey, Hoskin-Elliott, Checkers, Pendleton, Sidey, Crispy, Howey and Maynard was a tad surreal. But watching them with Grundy and, of course, Treloar, it was a different team. Not as refined, talent-wise, but you can see the players in 2018 have blossomed and were destined for great things in 2022-23.

Buckley took a lot of heat but, in case anyone forgot, he was put under the microscope at the end of 2017 and had to convince the Magpies' big bosses that he had a plan.

There's a film that was made to document that moment, when Buckley was on thin ice, convinced Eddie and company that he had a plan, through the minutes after that Grand Final loss when he stood before his men, clearly broken, and could only muster to the effect of I'm sorry, but I don't know what to say, or how to coach you in this moment, to take away your pain. Pure, raw, human Buckley unfiltered emotion. To see it, and suggest he was a mechanical, uncaring coach who didn't get the best out of his players is missing the point that he isn't Collingwood's #1 son, he is a human being, just like you and I, who has emotions and let his players see that side of him.

As for Adam Treloar, the film focuses on how he dealt with his depression while trying his best to be a leader for the Magpies.

It also delves into the details of Brodie Grundy's and Jarryd Blair's season 2018.

The film is "Collingwood From the Inside Out." If you have never watched it before, go back and rematch the final quarter of the 2018 Grand Final, and then play the film. It will further drive the discussion here about Treloar and especially so Nathan Buckley.

Buckley, Grundy, Treloar and even Blair all helped pave the way for the 2023 Grand Final triumph to come to fruition. It is appropriate, therefore, to recognize their efforts along the journey to make our 16th Premiership one that will forever burn in our minds and hearts.

Peace!

Back