Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

A verbal agreement is still a contract. We will never know if there was a misunderstanding or just an agreement to sort it out at a later date..

The Dogs wanted $1.5m. Collingwood eventually agreed to pay $1.0m. So they have basically met in the middle..

Its a small win. Zero was never going to be the number given the contract was backdated. We were obliged to at least stump up to smooth that out... as a starting base.
From The Age article. You haven’t negotiated the Dogs down from what was agreed on trade night. The question is was it ever only $1m or $1.5. If you accept Treloar had $4.5m left then you are also accepting you are paying $1.5m
“The Bulldogs have been adamant they were prepared to pay Treloar around $3 million for the five years remaining on his contract and have not shifted on their agreement to pay that amount to Treloar with the Magpies agreeing to a complex deal that sees Treloar receive what he is entitled, with separate contracts in place.”

Paying part of the salary for an offloaded player as part of a salary dump is not that unusual.
What makes the Treloar deal a real cluster f**k and unbelievable is that there should be a balance. We pay a significant portion of the salary but we get a good pick or we don't pay much of his salary and get a poor pick.
But Ned the genius decided we should get crap compensation and pay a significant part of his salary.

In a perfect world we should have received a better pick, much like we should have got with Stevo.

But when the whole world knows you’re in trouble with the salary cap and the players position at the club is untenable, why would they be accomodating to us?

Bulldogs have played this perfectly. It was a take it or leave it situation. Obviously we couldn’t leave it because of the absolute incompetence of our list management personnel so had to take whatever we could get.

No, your interpretation is incorrect. I have checked this sequencing with Sam Edmund and it is exactly the opposite. Bulldogs are paying more to Treloar up front in 2021 and the Pies less. We are now back ending our payout after back ending his contract caused us pain. I'm sure Beams payout is hurting us in 2021, but the departure of Stephenson, Phillips, Treloar, Atu, Dunn, Varcoe, Reid, Wills, Appleby, Scharenberg, Broomhead, Langdon and Beams while replaced by ~6-7 first year kids has not been enough to make life sufficiently comfortable in 2021 to pay $~300k on Treloar's contract. We were that far over the cap as things stood. Staggering.

Which is why a lot of fans will be disappointed when yet again we fail to land a decent FA player. Happens every year.

Paying part of the salary for an offloaded player as part of a salary dump is not that unusual.
What makes the Treloar deal a real cluster f**k and unbelievable is that there should be a balance. We pay a significant portion of the salary but we get a good pick or we don't pay much of his salary and get a poor pick.
But Ned the genius decided we should get crap compensation and pay a significant part of his salary.
The other thing that makes it a debacle is that Treloar didn't fall off a cliff, he didn't suddenly become a different player. We signed a 25 year old to a contract, he hasn't regressed, he's still the same player we signed, yet we have to do a salary dump. Every other salary dump I can think of is injury or mental health related. This was just a s**t contract.

5th Paragraph

4th Paragraph

3rd Paragraph

What a truly s**t deal. Whoever was behind this, they should all begone from the club and the includes the board who are meant to over see the operations of the club but all we get is Walsh retiring (we got him out of retirement to help so it was on the cards) and crickets for the rest. Only the best hey Ed, you ******* gimp.

From The Age article. You haven’t negotiated the Dogs down from what was agreed on trade night. The question is was it ever only $1m or $1.5. If you accept Treloar had $4.5m left then you are also accepting you are paying $1.5m
“The Bulldogs have been adamant they were prepared to pay Treloar around $3 million for the five years remaining on his contract and have not shifted on their agreement to pay that amount to Treloar with the Magpies agreeing to a complex deal that sees Treloar receive what he is entitled, with separate contracts in place.”

I'm just quoting the article.

The article clearly states that "Collingwood disputed the Western Bulldogs' belief that the Magpies had agreed to pay $1.5 million of Treloar's $4.5 million deal that extends until 2025." And that the matter has been resolved for "close to $1m"

Hence Collingwood did have a small win in that negotiation, reducing the compensation by 500k from where the Bulldogs wanted it to be.

The article clearly states that "Collingwood disputed the Western Bulldogs' belief that the Magpies had agreed to pay $1.5 million of Treloar's $4.5 million deal that extends until 2025." And that the matter has been resolved for "close to $1m"

Hence Collingwood did have a small win in that negotiation, reducing the compensation by 500k from where the Bulldogs wanted it to be.

You'll get nowhere arguing with the welfare mob. They think everyone owes them.

hard to believe that we've messed up the salary cap so badly that
- we got sh*t pick compensation for Treloar
- we're paying full tote odds to pay out his contract
- Despite dropping 10 experienced players and bringing in 5 first years, we still require Bulldogs to front end his contract to allow us to stay under the salary cap in 2021 while we pay $200-300k p.a.

So much for the $2m freed up as suggested plus Langdon signing off for free.

Categoric, unmitigated failure on behalf of our administrators

I think we’ve asked them to front end it because of the TPP we’ve cleared this year. Some of it will address the reduced TPP going forward, some the Beams payout, some a war chest to chase FA’s, some of it to increased salaries of a few. Front ending minimizes the impact 2022 and beyond.

There are different articles saying different things some are saying the Pies are paying 1.5 million over the 5 years Others are saying 1 million over the 5 years. Most opposition supporters are running with the 1.5 million while most Pies are going with the 1 million number. I'm not willing to accept either on face value.

There are different articles saying different things some are saying the Pies are paying 1.5 million over the 5 years Others are saying 1 million over the 5 years. Most opposition supporters are running with the 1.5 million while most Pies are going with the 1 million number. I'm not willing to accept either on face value.

Take the mid point. 1.25m, still a disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are the type of deals that lose flags because someone can't be paid or we can't pick someone up etc.

I think it's a fair thing to say that overspending on bad contracts and underspending/inability to attract the best people in key areas of the footy department has cost us silverware.

Bulldogs have played this perfectly. It was a take it or leave it situation. Obviously we couldn’t leave it because of the absolute incompetence of our list management personnel so had to take whatever we could get.

That remains to been seen, when your new recruit says in interviews multiple times that he wanted to stay at his previous club, that should raise some red flags, but i guess they aren't too worried about that.

That remains to been seen, when your new recruit says in interviews multiple times that he wanted to stay at his previous club, that should raise some red flags, but i guess they aren't too worried about that.
From a Collingwood point of view that is one of the only good points from this. None of the players wanted to leave. We had to kick them out to door bouncer style. Other clubs like Essendon can't say the same. They had 3 senior players all trying their best to leave despite at least one having a contract.

I hope we have learnt something from all this. If we had a premiership or 2 then I guess it would be a slightly different narrative but it's not.

I hope we have learnt something from all this. If we had a premiership or 2 then I guess it would be a slightly different narrative but it's not.

That's the thing. If Beams had have played a good year of footy for us in 2019 like he played for Brissy in 2018 and we had have been good enough to win that year, you'd wear us having back-ended our contracts to chase that flag. But alas...

I wonder how much less cash going into Adam's pocket it would have taken to make retaining him viable ? As far as I can tell at no stage of this entire saga did the player give any ground financially, making me wonder how deep was that desire to stay. Yes, yes I know the large 2021+ amounts were due to the bow wave effect of back ending... and yes I realise the club was contractually obligated... and yes who in their right mind would say goodbye to hundreds of thousands of dollars...but still...

IU
Its $830k over 5 years exactly. This is what the player believes.

The "$1m" suggestion is the closest to it and Id say rounded up. How much in what year was the dispute.

If this is accurate, $165k or so a year on average is a pretty good outcome for us.

Its not as if Treloar is missing out on this money, its cap space thats being chewed up by WBD.

I think it's a fair thing to say that overspending on bad contracts and underspending/inability to attract the best people in key areas of the footy department has cost us silverware.

Always has. Tommy Hafey had Bernie Quinlan and Micky Conlan lined up to come to the Pies but the board would not approve it. That's life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back