Traded Adam Treloar [traded w/ #28 to Collingwood for #7, #65, 2016 first rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh look another time where we're in furious agreement!

Power to GWS for wanting 2 first rounders, I don't blame them. They want to make certain they can obtain two certainities. But isn't it overs when they end up with 2 jets in 10 years time and Collingwood ends up with 1? That's why a first and second rounder is around par IMO.

If anyone's wondering why posts got deleted, here's a quick reminder from the stickied thread at the top of this board:

Must be lot of Posts Deleted when talking about a Collingwood Player

Hahahah you're that guy who thought Geelong could pick up Dangerfield in the PSD last year
Lol he's not actually frustrating, but he's like a fly you keep trying to swat away. It was entertaining initially but it's just getting boring and repetitive talking to him now. It's the same stuff over and over.

It's pretty amusing that this is how you guys respond to a guy that actually rates Treloar as a very good player. No doubt he's currently in the top 50 mids in the comp. That's nothing to be sneezed at. But you've given up more than anybody in a trade since Judd. Guys like S Burgoyne, Ottens, Dangerfield and Beams all went for way less than what you'll end up paying for Treloar. They'd all been AA before being traded too. You can try to convince yourself that Treloar is the same as Dangerfield at the same age but nobody's buying it. Danger was a top 10 player in the comp 2 years running by then. Treloar's good but not close to top 10 in the comp.

I reckon Collingwood got gun shy after the Scharenburg and Freeman draft. They preferred to lock in a sure thing than risk bombing out again. The problem is that you only get a few chances to get access to the best kids and history suggests you need to get some absolute gun players there to develop a great team. Instead I think Collingwood has settled for an average result (well below average now they've struggled this year) and history suggests that sort of result in your early drafting leads to long-term mediocrity.

Did Collingwood overpay for Treloar? Probably. Do/should Collingwood fans care? Absolutely not. I don't care if Weideman and Scrimshaw/Marshall/Battle were available to the club as we've got ourselves a ready-made star who is no chance at failure. I'd take that any day over the chance of drafting a Conca/Toumpas type and you've got to pay top dollar for top quality and I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if he isn't already, he will be a top 20 mid at worst. We don't need to draft an inside mid for 8 years now.

AT is a machine - absolute accumulator and brilliant at setting up the play, driving the ball forward and he is that player at the club who can be the different between winning and losing, and I don't think we have another one of them. He's hard at the ball, has very clean hands and with a little bit of fixing up his kicking under pressure, he will be a mighty player.

It's pretty amusing that this is how you guys respond to a guy that actually rates Treloar as a very good player. No doubt he's currently in the top 50 mids in the comp. That's nothing to be sneezed at. But you've given up more than anybody in a trade since Judd. Guys like S Burgoyne, Ottens, Dangerfield and Beams all went for way less than what you'll end up paying for Treloar. They'd all been AA before being traded too. You can try to convince yourself that Treloar is the same as Dangerfield at the same age but nobody's buying it. Danger was a top 10 player in the comp 2 years running by then. Treloar's good but not close to top 10 in the comp.

Beams went for more (an upgrade from pick 28 to pick 7 versus giving up pick 21 and Crisp).

If Treloar went to Geelong or Hawthorn this thread wouldn't exist, Nuff said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would treloar shine as bright in a midfield of Mitchell, hodge and Lewis? Pies would've been silly to not move heaven and earth to secure a player of his caliber. Just imagine what your season would've been without treloar

I reckon Collingwood got gun shy after the Scharenburg and Freeman draft. They preferred to lock in a sure thing than risk bombing out again. The problem is that you only get a few chances to get access to the best kids and history suggests you need to get some absolute gun players there to develop a great team. Instead I think Collingwood has settled for an average result (well below average now they've struggled this year) and history suggests that sort of result in your early drafting leads to long-term mediocrity.

The recruiters aren't 'gun shy' after the Shaz, Freeman draft. Injury hit us hard with those selections, thats just terribly bad luck, not poor talent identification. Shaz will return next year and we have effectively replaced Freeman (pick 10) with Aish (pick 7) from the 2013 draft. Its a bit early to say we've "bombed out" just yet. I'm optimistic that both Shaz and Aish will have excellent careers in the black and white. Sure, not the best of starts however both guys are 20!

The Pies chased and secured Treloar to fill a gap in the list created by the unexpected departure of Beams. AT was a 17yo priority selection and rated in the top 3-4 players in his draft year. His performances on the park since debuting have been exceptional and he'll be one of the premier mids for the next 7-8yrs. His drafting in no way, shape or form constitutes "settling for an average result".

What is Wrong going for a Sure Gun then a MAYBE Superstar or Dud Pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Danger deal was a massive bargain in your favour due to him being a restricted free agent. Stop using that incredibly skewed trade as the benchmark.

Would treloar shine as bright in a midfield of Mitchell, hodge and Lewis? Pies would've been silly to not move heaven and earth to secure a player of his caliber. Just imagine what your season would've been without treloar
Funny. When Treloar was being compared to Beams last year the argument was that he shone more brightly in his AA year because of the quality he had surrounding him and Treloar would have absolutely been AA with a top line midfield around him. Now suddenly Treloar wouldn't have performed as well this year with a better functioning midfield surrounding him?

Which is it? Or are people just changing their arguments to suit their narrative? Never change, Big Footy....

Funny. When Treloar was being compared to Beams last year the argument was that he shone more brightly in his AA year because of the quality he had surrounding him and Treloar would have absolutely been AA with a top line midfield around him. Now suddenly Treloar wouldn't have performed as well this year with a better functioning midfield surrounding him?

Which is it? Or are people just changing their arguments to suit their narrative? Never change, Big Footy....
Mitchell and Lewis are great accumulators and extractors. Wasn't a slight against treloar to don't get you panties in such a twist

Mitchell and Lewis are great accumulators and extractors. Wasn't a slight against treloar to don't get you panties in such a twist
So were Swan and Pendlebury in 2012 when Beams won his AA.

Wasn't getting my panties in a bunch, just found it funny how the narrative has suddenly changed from 'Beams won an AA because of the quality around him and Treloar would have if he did', to 'Treloar wouldn't be as impressive if he had top quality support'. Classic Big Footy.

So were Swan and Pendlebury in 2012 when Beams won his AA.

Wasn't getting my panties in a bunch, just found it funny how the narrative has suddenly changed from 'Beams won an AA because of the quality around him and Treloar would have if he did', to 'Treloar wouldn't be as impressive if he had top quality support'. Classic Big Footy.
I don't recall ever making a single post in my history of bigfooty in regards to beams but ok

See this is interesting. Maybe if he hadn't been playing they'd be 1 or 2 games worse off. Maybe more. But if Treloar's had a big impact on their final position then Collingwood have effectively given up even more for him. For example if Collingwood would've finished 15th if not for Treloar this year then they would've got pick 4 if they hadn't recruited him. So in effect picking up Treloar, in this instance, has cost them pick 7 last year plus pick 4 this year.

Sure, we I can see why many think we overpaid for Treloar, but the fact is we just about had to. The introduction of giving up future picks gave GWS the opportunity to get more from the trade. Who could blame them?
What we bought was a guarantee in quality, a player who filled a need, and a player who really wanted to be at our club. This is very important.

So we lost two high picks. We would've been aiming for finals this year, so pick 10-14 would've been what we predicted with this years 1st rounder.
So the thinking would've been - pick 7 & 62 last year, and 10 (or up to 14) this year, for 28 and Treloar. Doesn't seem too shabby.
It's only because of our poor year, resulting in a pick at about 5 or 6 this year, that this trade seems like we paid far too much.

So we will miss pick 5/6 this year, who could've been the next Stringer/Wines quality, or the next Buntine/Toumpas standard. Time will tell.
What I do know, is we'll gain five players back. Two were known at the time of the Treloar trade.
- Dane Swan
- Jamie Elliott
- Matthew Scharenberg
- Lachie Keeffe
- Josh Thomas
Some big ins there, with the top 2 improving our side dramatically (if Swan plays on).

Looking forward to seeing some big things from these guys, and an AA quality year from Treloar in 2017.

35 touches at 74%, 12 of those contested, 9 tackles, one goal. Unbelievable game from him, the way he broke free and evaded traffic when the game was in the air and transitioned the ball from defense to attack was surreal. This is why we paid what we did for him. I won't ever regret this trade and neither will any Collingwood supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back