Traded Adam Treloar [traded w/ #28 to Collingwood for #7, #65, 2016 first rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a pretty childish response to what was a well thought out and articulated argument.
Does it look like I give a s**t?

Seriously, this thread has just turned in to a cluster**** of Richmond supporters saying Collingwood overpaid, and Geelong supporters telling us how Dangerfield is soooo much better than Treloar.

Guess what? We don't give a s**t that Danger is better. AT was worth what we paid for him, is only 23, and just had a career best year coming off zero preseason. He's still at least 2 or 3 years from his peak.

Save your condescending posts saying "oh yes, well young Adam is very good and all, but he's not quite elite, not like our Dangerfield. Did you hear, we traded him in this year and he's much better than Treloar," *insert smug face here*

Seriously, just stfu and let us be happy that we traded in a young gun with the potential to be a top 5 mid in his prime.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dangerfield is probably the most apt comparison because they both break from stoppages with pace. Danger isn't a beautiful kick by any means but his kicks have penetration and aren't predictable. He will cut inside or lower his eyes and hit up the leading target. When he does go long his kicks are penetrating enough to often get over the back of the defense which is always dangerous. Sure he shanks it a fair bit but the defence struggles to read it and it normally gives the forwards at least a good chance.

Treloar's decision making when breaking away seems really poor because he almost always goes long. This predictability matched with a lack of penetration in his kicking (he hits high floaters normally) means a defence that reads the ball well will get numbers to the right spot, likely win the ball and then be able to rebound. Treloar doesn't shank kicks or turn it over a heap but he's rarely if ever dangerous by foot. All of those other guys (bar T Mitchell who I don't really rate), are much better at choosing a target and playing within their means. And the breakaway possessions, where disposal is really important, isn't their main strength unlike Treloar. His numbers yesterday look great but watching the game both Pendlebury and Sidebottom had a far bigger impact on the game because they were damaging with basically every possession. Too often Treloar just wasn't.

I agree that guys who can win a lot of ball, break away and be damaging are the absolute elite and if he can fix this flaw he probably will be. But people are talking about him being elite at the moment which he just isn't. It's interesting that guys like Swan, Dangerfield and Fyfe cop so much criticism for their disposal. But they're so much more damaging than a guy who is predictable, like Treloar, because they can turn defences around and they generally put it to dangerous spots.
I've watched Danger plenty of times this year perhaps even more than Collingwood games. He also has the tendency of bombing into the forward 50 with no consideration of the placement of his disposal. Not sure if you have even watched Cripps Priddis JPK before. They're so abysmal by foot they completely just give up the option, which is why you see them having like 3 kicks and 26 handballs in a game. At least Treloar is competent in this area and it doesn't matter if he's not damaging by foot as long as he's doing his job and winning the clearance.
Obviously Danger is a better player than Treloar right now. However being worse than the number 1 player in the game is no shame, Treloar is still easily a top 10 midfielder in the game. As of last game, I actually felt neither Pendlebury or Sidebottom had anywhere near Treloar's influence. I would rather a 55 metre contested clearance kick resulting a neutral contest over an uncontested 25 metres sideways kick.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does it look like I give a s**t?

Seriously, this thread has just turned in to a cluster**** of Richmond supporters saying Collingwood overpaid, and Geelong supporters telling us how Dangerfield is soooo much better than Treloar.

Guess what? We don't give a s**t that Danger is better. AT was worth what we paid for him, is only 23, and just had a career best year coming off zero preseason. He's still at least 2 or 3 years from his peak.

Save your condescending posts saying "oh yes, well young Adam is very good and all, but he's not quite elite, not like our Dangerfield. Did you hear, we traded him in this year and he's much better than Treloar," *insert smug face here*

Seriously, just stfu and let us be happy that we traded in a young gun with the potential to be a top 5 mid in his prime.
This articulates my thoughts perfectly. How many other trade threads from last year are still consistently on the front page??

ant22

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2005
gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
pies
IF we want to be technical we picked up treloar and crocker for those 2 first round picks. Im tipping if we re-did last years draft today crocker would be a 2nd rounder.

Im rapt with Treloar . Dead set gun. Has the odd turnover but he takes the game on and makes things happen. Inside and outside. Super clean hands and almost never gets caught with the footy.

It was a fair trade for all.

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Treloar is a bloody good player. GWS set the price, Collingwood paid what was asked. Was he worth it. You'd have to look at it at the end of his career to judge that. But going on what I've seen of him, he probably will be worth what he's was valued at.
If Collingwood (hierarchy) and the supporters are happy with the return on their investment, that's all that matters.
I think he'll improve again next year, this being his first year getting to know the coaches, game plan, structures and team mates strengths and weaknesses.

This articulates my thoughts perfectly. How many other trade threads from last year are still consistently on the front page??

I agree, but the most common bumps are to talk up Treloar's performances. Here are the most recent culprits who've bumped it after it's gone a couple of days without replies:

Was surprised to see Richmond also missed out on signing Mason Cox. Seems to be a trend emerging imo and I guess Richmond are going to have to get used to b-grade talent like Grigg or Chaplain for their trades

Yep. Richmond saying they do that made sure Collingwood had to pay the 2nd 1st Rounder in a Trade for Treloar

GWS love to get a top 3 Pick even could get Pick 1

Hooper shows why GWS was not overly worried about Losing Treloar

Treloars offensive play this year has been phenomenal. Plenty of disposals and runs hard when his side has the ball to break lines.
He is everything people expected him to be.

Interesting seeing Weiderman debut today, the first of two first rounders the pies gave up for Adam. Skinny but looks a natural tall forward, kicking a couple against a solid hawthorn defence.
Will partner up well with Hogan for the next ten years.

Reckon pie fans would have liked him next to Darcy Moore in their forward line as well.

Will be interesting to see who gets picked up this year as the final first rounder for Treloar.

Very good performance on Friday. The play on the wing to get past the tackles was brilliant. Can't question his desire to will himself on the contest when the game was there to be won. There were a couple of times in the last though that he could've opened the game up with a spearing kick of 50+ but he hit floaters that didn't get to the man in time. In comparison Pendlebury and Bontempelli always looked like creating openings when they got the ball. Treloar can create by hand but not by foot. It means his acceleration which should be a huge weapon doesn't often hurt teams because his kicks lack penetration. It's why I doubt he can go from a top 50 midfielder to a top 10. It's also why teams aren't tagging him.

A question for you pies fans. What order do you expect Moore, De Goey and Treloar to finish up in terms of their overall careers? They should all be 200 gamers or more.

Crisp runs a tailed off last in this field IMO.

hindsight is 20/20 but if anything GWS got shafted imo

If people stopped bumping the thread, it'd die its own natural death on page 17 like other threads. Hopefully it'll be the thread's 2017 new years resolution.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
I agree, but the most common bumps are to talk up Treloar's performances. Here are the most recent culprits who've bumped it after it's gone a couple of days without replies:

If people stopped bumping the thread, it'd die its own natural death on page 17 like other threads. Hopefully it'll be the thread's 2017 new years resolution.

hasn't been a post here for a while so thought I'd say geez he played well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
He said it and he'll have to live with it. Not sure why people take these things so seriously though. They are dumb footballers and thats all. And no player will or should ever say anything but positive things about the club they have joined.

In reality Geelong can thank the Cats as much as anybody else. Without them recruiting Dangerfield and as a salary cap consequence offloading Caddy, yesterdays results might have been much different.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Gotta love Richmond supporters.

Instead of just kicking back and enjoying the flag, they're still getting all bitchy and defensive and insecure. I guess three decades of being the butt of everyone's jokes leaves a mark, but it's okay. You can relax and chill out now. No need to get petty one-ups on everyone else, you've won the flag so just enjoy it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back