Traded Adam Treloar [traded with #26, #33 and #42 to Bulldogs for #14 and 2021 R2]

Who won this trade?

• Collingwood

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You work at the Bulldogs in list management do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam Power said over and over we had no interest in a 3 way deal. That only benefited Essendon. We wanted 2 firsts for Dunkley outright and were willing to trade for Treloar for an offer too good to refuse which Collingwood were openly offering to clubs at the time.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Im waiting too

Think Northernsoul74 was quite adamant about this.

How's the link coming along?
There is no link and I never claimed there was. I’m not sure there is any firm reporting on where clubs rank per salary cap. The industry chat, pre Treloar, was that we were very well placed salary cap wise. More than happy to be provided evidence to the contrary. I personally know a player manager and a very respected journo so I’m basing it off that industry chat. Up to you whether you choose to believe that or journos or your own info. Likely they’re all a bit of BS but that’s the intel I have. That’s not to say we won’t have a squeeze in 2 years time with contract renewals if our young players continue on their current trajectory. In fact that’s exactly why we wouldn’t have committed $900k a year for Treloar because we know a squeeze is very likely coming.

We threw big money at Martin after Keath and Bruce. We offered big money for Wingard the year before. We’re already paying big money to Bont. We re-signed Macrae, Dunkley, Daniel and Naughton early and arguably for unders. Our better players like Crozier really wouldn’t have cost a lot. We’ve shifted an overpaid Trengove, Wood would have been one of our biggest earners and is now on a lot less. We have players like Gardner, Rourke Smith, Jong, Hayes, Dale playing regular games for us who are on nothing. Plus we never really spent all of the Boyd money. If you look at our list who do you currently think is on big money considering Macrae, Dunkley, and Naughton are on relative unders? Bont and Bruce probably.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
All this hassle for a player Bulldogs don't even need. The whole timeline of the trade doesn't make sense.
IMHO, Bulldogs really didn't need to insert themselves. Should have just left Collingwood to figure out how they'd pay Treloar's salary as they got themselves into this mess.

That being said, it's a bit rich to pay little on the draft table and expect the team to pay a good chunk of the salary too. Salary cap dumps are typically trades for under the market value so that teams can either get players off the books completely or pay a small amount of the salary. And yes, players are pushed out of the club in salary cap dumps so no need to remind me that Collingwood pushed him out. Trades are usually beneficial both ways. Although salary cap dumps are cheap trade-wise, the ensuing salary cap space is more beneficial to a team like Collingwood than the draft picks they receive. If a team like Collingwood is expected to cover a major portion of the salary, then the other team in good faith gives good value on the trade table. 300K a year over 5 years is basically another player. That's a lot for someone who isn't playing at the club. I don't know why dogs expected Collingwood to be nice after embarrassing them on the trade table. Replace Bulldogs with Essendon and this whole thread would be reading very differently.

If Bulldogs can't afford Treloar's salary or don't want to pay his salary, then why go for Treloar? Dunkley didn't leave so the need to get Treloar becomes redundant anyway. St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon didn't go for Treloar because of his hefty contract. Bulldogs should have done the same.
I know dogs fans on here are all "Bulldogs do everything right", but why take on a responsibility you can't handle without a proper agreement? Even if Collingwood were pushing him out, if it isn't something you're prepared to take on, then don't. Both Bulldogs and Collingwood need to take responsibility for this situation. Collingwood obviously failed this off-season in so many aspects so it's no surprise that this was botched as well.

There's no way Treloar goes back to Collingwood now so this mess needs to be resolved ASAP.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is no link and I never claimed there was. I’m not sure there is any firm reporting on where clubs rank per salary cap. The industry chat, pre Treloar, was that we were very well placed salary cap wise. More than happy to be provided evidence to the contrary. I personally know a player manager and a very respected journo so I’m basing it off that industry chat. Up to you whether you choose to believe that or journos or your own info. Likely they’re all a bit of BS but that’s the intel I have. That’s not to say we won’t have a squeeze in 2 years time with contract renewals if our young players continue on their current trajectory. In fact that’s exactly why we wouldn’t have committed $900k a year for Treloar because we know a squeeze is very likely coming.

We threw big money at Martin after Keath and Bruce. We offered big money for Wingard the year before. We’re already paying big money to Bont. We re-signed Macrae, Dunkley, Daniel and Naughton early and arguably for unders. Our better players like Crozier really wouldn’t have cost a lot. We’ve shifted an overpaid Trengove, Wood would have been one of our biggest earners and is now on a lot less. We have players like Gardner, Rourke Smith, Jong, Hayes, Dale playing regular games for us who are on nothing. Plus we never really spent all of the Boyd money. If you look at our list who do you currently think is on big money considering Macrae, Dunkley, and Naughton are on relative unders? Bont and Bruce probably.

Dont waste ya time mate. There’s no link about the pies not paying a cent that everyone seems to wanna celebrate and now people want a link from you about our cap. Palease!

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So bizarre that no one knows what would happen if the clubs can’t agree to an amount.

Seems to be a he said / she said type affair with no trade official yet. It’ll get done. Pies want him gone and dogs want him. I’m sure they’ll meet half way with the afl assisting.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Seems to be a he said / she said type affair with no trade official yet. It’ll get done. Pies want him gone and dogs want him. I’m sure they’ll meet half way with the afl assisting.

I doubt there will be AFL assistance. There is no way that 16 clubs would put up with that.

We don’t even know if the trade can or can’t be reversed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL assistance as in mediation

Oh right.

I guess if we knew what the process was, we could tell what the likely outcome is. Eg if the burden of proof is on the dogs, then it’s likely they will have to pay more than they thought they would have to. If the trade can genuinely be reversed, then I think the dogs could play hardball as the pies wouldn’t want Treloar back at any price.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh right.

I guess if we knew what the process was, we could tell what the likely outcome is. Eg if the burden of proof is on the dogs, then it’s likely they will have to pay more than they thought they would have to. If the trade can genuinely be reversed, then I think the dogs could play hardball as the pies wouldn’t want Treloar back at any price.

Beyond pathetic from all 3 parties that this is still going 2 weeks later.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL can assistance in mediation but what happens if Collingwood say we are only paying this x amount and we can easy turn around and say we are no longer interested it’s not like the trade is finalised.

Which can’t happen. The pies need him gone and we’re not going to leave him high and dry. We look after our players. They’ll sort it out.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
If you look at our list who do you currently think is on big money considering Macrae, Dunkley, and Naughton are on relative unders? Bont and Bruce probably.

Would say probs Wood and Hunter as former captain/vice captain, would be on a fair chunk. JJ might be getting a decent amount too after his 2016 massively upped his value

EDIT: looks like I was pretty spot on, haha.

This is the link to all your players on footywire - and the one's who are RFA's (Top 25%). That's generally how I try and ascertain who is earning 500K+. The fact that Bruce is apparently on 500K+ himself, and he's not in the top 25%, likely means that all of the below players are probably on 550 or above:

So it has:

Bont
Macrae
Hunter
Jong
Dickson
Dale
Daniel
McLean
JJ
Dickson

Dickson is gone, and Jong probably goes soon too, so it's a pretty decent list of RFA's to manage. I'd say that you'd be definitely above the minimum, but perhaps a mil spare or so in the kitty?

Will get eaten up very quickly though if you're paying more of Treloar's salary, likely increases for Smith and Naughton, and the decent initial contract extension you'll have to give JUH to keep the wolves from the door.

Think you guys 'll be fine, but, you're obviously a little concerned for the future, if there is as much of a roadblock over what you're willing to pay for Treloar

Last edited:

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Wood is 31 years old I don’t think he will be on that much coin mate
Wood? Lol yikes. This is the bulldogs list, not the pies.

Apologies, just saw that he resigned a new contract in September. Thought he was still on a prior long-term contract that was expiring in '22.

See above amended comment anyway, if you're interested for the rest of the players who it says are RFA's

Last edited:

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood is 31 years old I don’t think he will be on that much coin mate

Players above $500k imo:
Bont
Hunter
Macrae
Bruce
JJ
Keath
Treloar

players who will be in the next 2 years:
Bont
Dunks
Treloar
Hunter
Macrae
JJ
Keath
Bruce
Smith
Naughton
Daniel
English

cap clearance:
Trengove done
Suckling done
Duryea (in 12 months)
Lloyd (in 12 months)
Wood (24 months)
Libba (24 months)
Schache traded or delisted

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would say probs Wood and Hunter as former captain/vice captain, would be on a fair chunk. JJ might be getting a decent amount too after his 2016 massively upped his value

EDIT: looks like I was pretty spot on, haha.

This is the link to all your players on footywire - and the one's who are RFA's (Top 25%). That's generally how I try and ascertain who is earning 500K+. The fact that Bruce is apparently on 500K+ himself, and he's not in the top 25%, likely means that all of the below players are probably on 550 or above:

So it has:

Bont
Macrae
Hunter
Jong
Dickson
Dale
Daniel
McLean
JJ
Wallis
Dickson

Dickson is gone, and Jong probably goes soon too, so it's a pretty decent list of RFA's to manage. I'd say that you'd be definitely above the minimum, but perhaps a mil spare or so in the kitty?

Will get eaten up very quickly though if you're paying more of Treloar's salary, likely increases for Smith and Naughton, and the decent initial contract extension you'll have to give JUH to keep the wolves from the door.

Think you guys 'll be fine, but, you're obviously a little concerned for the future, if there is as much of a roadblock over what you're willing to pay for Treloar

If Jongs on 500+ I’ll run 20 laps naked at whitten oval

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Players above $500k imo:
Bont
Hunter
Macrae
Bruce
JJ
Keath
Treloar

players who will be in the next 2 years:
Bont
Dunks
Treloar
Hunter
Macrae
JJ
Keath
Bruce
Smith
Naughton
Daniel
English

cap clearance:
Trengove done
Suckling done
Duryea (in 12 months)
Lloyd (in 12 months)
Wood (24 months)
Libba (24 months)
Schache traded or delisted

Add McLean, Jong, Dale and Daniel to the 500K+ list (all RFA's)

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
If Jongs on 500+ I’ll run 20 laps naked at whitten oval

Off you go then :smile: He's listed as an RFA and Bruce or Keath aren't, meaning he's making more than them.

It's a bit chilly tonight...might want to leave it til tomorrow night when it'll be a fair bit warmer:tearsofjoy:

Screenshot_2020-11-27-00-31-04-25.jpg

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Off you go then :smile: He's listed as an RFA and Bruce or Keath aren't, meaning he's making more than them.

It's a bit chilly tonight...might want to leave it til tomorrow night when it'll be a fair bit warmer:tearsofjoy:

Doesnt RFA just mean he’s a restricted free agent end of 2020? Hence we just resigned him on a one year deal...

Keath and Bruce still have 2 years left hence not free agents. Not sure you’re on the right track with the RFA status...

Back