Traded Adam Treloar [traded with #26, #33 and #42 to Bulldogs for #14 and 2021 R2]

Who won this trade?

• Collingwood

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All this hassle for a player Bulldogs don't even need. The whole timeline of the trade doesn't make sense.
IMHO, Bulldogs really didn't need to insert themselves. Should have just left Collingwood to figure out how they'd pay Treloar's salary as they got themselves into this mess.

That being said, it's a bit rich to pay little on the draft table and expect the team to pay a good chunk of the salary too. Salary cap dumps are typically trades for under the market value so that teams can either get players off the books completely or pay a small amount of the salary. And yes, players are pushed out of the club in salary cap dumps so no need to remind me that Collingwood pushed him out. Trades are usually beneficial both ways. Although salary cap dumps are cheap trade-wise, the ensuing salary cap space is more beneficial to a team like Collingwood than the draft picks they receive. If a team like Collingwood is expected to cover a major portion of the salary, then the other team in good faith gives good value on the trade table. 300K a year over 5 years is basically another player. That's a lot for someone who isn't playing at the club. I don't know why dogs expected Collingwood to be nice after embarrassing them on the trade table. Replace Bulldogs with Essendon and this whole thread would be reading very differently.

If Bulldogs can't afford Treloar's salary or don't want to pay his salary, then why go for Treloar? Dunkley didn't leave so the need to get Treloar becomes redundant anyway. St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon didn't go for Treloar because of his hefty contract. Bulldogs should have done the same.
I know dogs fans on here are all "Bulldogs do everything right", but why take on a responsibility you can't handle without a proper agreement? Even if Collingwood were pushing him out, if it isn't something you're prepared to take on, then don't. Both Bulldogs and Collingwood need to take responsibility for this situation. Collingwood obviously failed this off-season in so many aspects so it's no surprise that this was botched as well.

There's no way Treloar goes back to Collingwood now so this mess needs to be resolved ASAP.
We can afford what was agreed. We would just like to pay what we and Treloars manager believes was agreed. Why should we now pay more?

Would say probs Wood and Hunter as former captain/vice captain, would be on a fair chunk. JJ might be getting a decent amount too after his 2016 massively upped his value

EDIT: looks like I was pretty spot on, haha.

This is the link to all your players on footywire - and the one's who are RFA's (Top 25%). That's generally how I try and ascertain who is earning 500K+. The fact that Bruce is apparently on 500K+ himself, and he's not in the top 25%, likely means that all of the below players are probably on 550 or above:

So it has:

Bont
Macrae
Hunter
Jong
Dickson
Dale
Daniel
McLean
JJ
Dickson

Dickson is gone, and Jong probably goes soon too, so it's a pretty decent list of RFA's to manage. I'd say that you'd be definitely above the minimum, but perhaps a mil spare or so in the kitty?

Will get eaten up very quickly though if you're paying more of Treloar's salary, likely increases for Smith and Naughton, and the decent initial contract extension you'll have to give JUH to keep the wolves from the door.

Think you guys 'll be fine, but, you're obviously a little concerned for the future, if there is as much of a roadblock over what you're willing to pay for Treloar
Yep, as I said healthy pre Treloar but one eye on what is ahead.
I’d be astonished if Jong, Dale and even McLean are on $500k plus. Also amazed if Bruce and Keath aren’t in our top 25%.

Dockers thought they landed a big star finally once.
Then gave him away for a half eaten donut.
this trade will be up there with Hogan AND McCarthy- although at least if they paid off filled a need in KPF
You taking Trealor is a bizarre trade- you have a team full of midfielders who all use the ball well and hit the scoreboard- no need for trealor-as he does neither.

this trade will be up there with Hogan AND McCarthy- although at least if they paid off filled a need in KPF
You taking Trealor is a bizarre trade- you have a team full of midfielders who all use the ball well and hit the scoreboard- no need for trealor-as he does neither.
I think you need to watch the highlights of him because I didn't think he was a damaging run and carry high speed, give and go and recieve and goal type player either. And i suggest you have rocks in your head if you think it will turn out just as bad as the two you just mentioned for the side you follow.

I think you need to watch the highlights of him because I didn't think he was a damaging run and carry high speed, give and go and recieve and goal type player either. And i suggest you have rocks in your head if you think it will turn out just as bad as the two you just mentioned for the side you follow.

That’s a pretty big assumption.

I wish him all the best, particularly given his wholehearted nature.

But Treloar has had significant mental health issues which literally had him contemplating walking away from the game.

Given the changes to his personal circumstances, who knows how that affects his footy going forward.

He has also had 2 significant hamstring injuries in the last 3 years.

Dogs supporters seem to gloss over these facts, simply so they can rub the Pies supporters noses in the salary cap issues.

Last edited:
I guess if we knew what the process was, we could tell what the likely outcome is. Eg if the burden of proof is on the dogs, then it’s likely they will have to pay more than they thought they would have to

You seem pretty fixated on there existing an AFL handbook which gives a step by step procedure on how to resolve situations such as these.
Given this hasn't been resolved in two weeks, we can safely say that said rulebook does not in fact exist.
Because if it did- this would have been done and dusted a long time ago.

In lieu of any league procedures existing, the fallback is standard contract law 101.

No agreement is reached unless there is a valid offer and acceptance.
If Collingwoods "offer" included the draft picks and not the salary split then no agreement to trade treloar was in fact reached.

The AFL look to have screwed this up because it seems likely the form they make clubs fill in and both sign with the proposed trade details seemingly only asks the clubs to nominate the picks and players involved in any potential trade.
Which is fine 99% of the time because either:
A. The player and picks are all that is involved in a trade (ie the old club isn't paying any of the players salary) or
B. If the old club IS paying some salary, both teams have enough competence to have clearly agreed on the split before filling in and signing the trade form together.

This appears to be the 1% case where the trade involves the old club paying some, but a clear agreement over the salary split was never reached before the form was filled out.

The AFL form SHOULD capture all the required terms of a trade, but it seems it probably doesn't cater for trades where the deal involves the old club paying some salary.

Again in comes standard contract law 101.
If an offer does not contain all the terms of an agreement- then no agreement exists.

This means that right now the dogs and pies are effectively still in trade negotiations- meaning the dogs or pies could walk away at any point.

Of course in reality the pies aren't going to walk away, and the AFL won't let this fall over- treloar is most certainly now a dog.

But the dogs definately have the advantage in these ongoing trade negotiations- because it's on the pies and the AFL to make it a deal that they are happy with.

(This is why edddie came out talking about how the dogs need to do him a favour cos they supported equalisation etc)

And Pies being over their cap is the Bulldogs problem to solve? Maybe they shouldn’t re-sign JDG.

Wonder if part of their problem is JDG not wanting to accept a backended contract. Cant think of any reason why there would be any hesitation from JDG there 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if part of their problem is JDG not wanting to accept a backended contract. Cant think of any reason why there would be any hesitation from JDG there 🤔
And the Beams payoff needing to be taken into account. Is the Pies cap in such a state that they can’t chip in for Treloar now due to Beams and JDG?

That’s a pretty big assumption.

I wish him all the best, particularly given his wholehearted nature.

But Treloar has had significant mental health issues which literally had him contemplating walking away from the game.

Given the changes to his personal circumstances, who knows how that affects his footy going forward.

He has also had 2 significant hamstring injuries in the last 3 years.

Dogs supporters seem to gloss over these facts, simply so they can rub the Pies supporters noses in the salary cap issues.
You want to play the everybody wants to belittle Collingwood card. Oh come on, that has nothing to do with it. The football public don't need that as a reason to do that anyway with your club continuing to make the sells to be morons lately.
As for Trelore
I never payed much attention to him untill now, and think he is better then I first thought.
And my comment was about the ridiculous Freo fan saying it will end up as bad a train wreck of macarthy and Hogan.

And the Beams payoff needing to be taken into account. Is the Pies cap in such a state that they can’t chip in for Treloar now due to Beams and JDG?

It's not about CAN collingwood do so, it;s totally irrelevant.,

It is Collingwood REQUIRED to do so by the terms of the deal negotiated. Did teh DOgs explicictiky get collingwood to agree to pay.

Otherwise it is totally the dogs problem.

You seem pretty fixated on there existing an AFL handbook which gives a step by step procedure on how to resolve situations such as these.
Given this hasn't been resolved in two weeks, we can safely say that said rulebook does not in fact exist.
Because if it did- this would have been done and dusted a long time ago.

In lieu of any league procedures existing, the fallback is standard contract law 101.

No agreement is reached unless there is a valid offer and acceptance.
If Collingwoods "offer" included the draft picks and not the salary split then no agreement to trade treloar was in fact reached.

The AFL look to have screwed this up because it seems likely the form they make clubs fill in and both sign with the proposed trade details seemingly only asks the clubs to nominate the picks and players involved in any potential trade.
Which is fine 99% of the time because either:
A. The player and picks are all that is involved in a trade (ie the old club isn't paying any of the players salary) or
B. If the old club IS paying some salary, both teams have enough competence to have clearly agreed on the split before filling in and signing the trade form together.

This appears to be the 1% case where the trade involves the old club paying some, but a clear agreement over the salary split was never reached before the form was filled out.

The AFL form SHOULD capture all the required terms of a trade, but it seems it probably doesn't cater for trades where the deal involves the old club paying some salary.

Again in comes standard contract law 101.
If an offer does not contain all the terms of an agreement- then no agreement exists.

This means that right now the dogs and pies are effectively still in trade negotiations- meaning the dogs or pies could walk away at any point.

Of course in reality the pies aren't going to walk away, and the AFL won't let this fall over- treloar is most certainly now a dog.

But the dogs definately have the advantage in these ongoing trade negotiations- because it's on the pies and the AFL to make it a deal that they are happy with.

(This is why edddie came out talking about how the dogs need to do him a favour cos they supported equalisation etc)

That’s an interesting guess at how it will all play out.

Hope the Bullies got it in writing otherwise as Sam Goldwyn said, " A verbal contract is not worth the paper its written on"

Back