(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blackhawk42

Premiership Player
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Macrae is class, while Treloar is a gun midfielder but his disposal is a worry. I see less flaws in Jack's game so as a result he gets the nod.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Treloar has the advantage in burst speed and is a bigger threat in front of goals but Macrae is more consistent and a better user of the football.

jjsmitty8

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Antarctica
AFL Club
Collingwood
There’s obviously some bias here, but I’d take Treloar purely because of the explosive nature of his game.

His kicking can be a little bit suspect at times, but personally I prefer the ‘metres gained, run and gun’ style that Treloar brings ahead of the ‘death by 1000 cuts, short kicking’ game of Macrae.

In saying that, Macrae’s short kicks on the 45 into the corridor are lethal and almost never miss. They’re not as pretty and don’t attract as much attention as an explosive break away from a contest, but he’s still a weapon.

ManOfClay

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 27, 2012
On the couch
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Aston Villa
There’s obviously some bias here, but I’d take Treloar purely because of the explosive nature of his game.

His kicking can be a little bit suspect at times, but personally I prefer the ‘metres gained, run and gun’ style that Treloar brings ahead of the ‘death by 1000 cuts, short kicking’ game of Macrae.

In saying that, Macrae’s short kicks on the 45 into the corridor are lethal and almost never miss. They’re not as pretty and don’t attract as much attention as an explosive break away from a contest, but he’s still a weapon.

Rather than bias I think you are more projecting what you want to see from Treloar rather than what actually occurs. Macrae might not be a burst player but he simply outworks those around him from start to finish. And he’s a better user of the ball.

jjsmitty8

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Antarctica
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rather than bias I think you are more projecting what you want to see from Treloar rather than what actually occurs. Macrae might not be a burst player but he simply outworks those around him from start to finish. And he’s a better user of the ball.
There’s no arguing that he’s a line breaker. I’m under no illusions that his ball use is below par.

As for Macrae, you’re right, he is a better ball user. I’m well aware of his ability, I’ve followed him very closely since his draft year given I worked for the Oakleigh Chargers when he played in their TAC cup premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackenny

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I chose Macrae over Treloar, but I reckon the difference between the two is really tight. Treloar's disposal isn't that bad and Macrae's disposal isn't that good. Treloar used to burn his team with his atrocious disposals and I feel like his infamy lives on, but for the last two years, his disposal has been quite solid. In comparison, Macrae's disposal is noteworthy once he's just Inside 50, but he is a very generic field-kick when outside that forward fifty arc (nothing compared to the better users of the ball such as Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield, Scott Pendlebury, and Brad Hill). I really like Macrae's ability to outwork direct opponents, though. That's his greatest strength. That's the main reason I find he's so handy with Goal Assists - he's reliably able to lose his opponents in transition when he runs back and forth from the midfield and forward 50. Clever footballer.

Top Bottom