Adam Treloar vs Jack Macrae

Who is the better footballer?

• Adam Treloar

Votes: 39 21.3%
  • Jack Macrae

Votes: 144 78.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae is class, while Treloar is a gun midfielder but his disposal is a worry. I see less flaws in Jack's game so as a result he gets the nod.

Treloar has the advantage in burst speed and is a bigger threat in front of goals but Macrae is more consistent and a better user of the football.

There’s obviously some bias here, but I’d take Treloar purely because of the explosive nature of his game.

His kicking can be a little bit suspect at times, but personally I prefer the ‘metres gained, run and gun’ style that Treloar brings ahead of the ‘death by 1000 cuts, short kicking’ game of Macrae.

In saying that, Macrae’s short kicks on the 45 into the corridor are lethal and almost never miss. They’re not as pretty and don’t attract as much attention as an explosive break away from a contest, but he’s still a weapon.

There’s obviously some bias here, but I’d take Treloar purely because of the explosive nature of his game.

His kicking can be a little bit suspect at times, but personally I prefer the ‘metres gained, run and gun’ style that Treloar brings ahead of the ‘death by 1000 cuts, short kicking’ game of Macrae.

In saying that, Macrae’s short kicks on the 45 into the corridor are lethal and almost never miss. They’re not as pretty and don’t attract as much attention as an explosive break away from a contest, but he’s still a weapon.

Rather than bias I think you are more projecting what you want to see from Treloar rather than what actually occurs. Macrae might not be a burst player but he simply outworks those around him from start to finish. And he’s a better user of the ball.

Rather than bias I think you are more projecting what you want to see from Treloar rather than what actually occurs. Macrae might not be a burst player but he simply outworks those around him from start to finish. And he’s a better user of the ball.
There’s no arguing that he’s a line breaker. I’m under no illusions that his ball use is below par.

As for Macrae, you’re right, he is a better ball user. I’m well aware of his ability, I’ve followed him very closely since his draft year given I worked for the Oakleigh Chargers when he played in their TAC cup premiership.

Jack Macrae is third in the AFL for goal assists. His inside 50 kicks are underrated.

Macrae is an absolute gun, would LOVE him at North, have said for ages we should have thrown money at him not Dusty or Kelly or Gaff.

I chose Macrae over Treloar, but I reckon the difference between the two is really tight. Treloar's disposal isn't that bad and Macrae's disposal isn't that good. Treloar used to burn his team with his atrocious disposals and I feel like his infamy lives on, but for the last two years, his disposal has been quite solid. In comparison, Macrae's disposal is noteworthy once he's just Inside 50, but he is a very generic field-kick when outside that forward fifty arc (nothing compared to the better users of the ball such as Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield, Scott Pendlebury, and Brad Hill). I really like Macrae's ability to outwork direct opponents, though. That's his greatest strength. That's the main reason I find he's so handy with Goal Assists - he's reliably able to lose his opponents in transition when he runs back and forth from the midfield and forward 50. Clever footballer.

Treloar is only losing because he plays for Collingwood.
Or people genuinely believe Macrae to be the better player - I'm in that boat.

Both good mids who need at least 25-30 touches to significantly impact a game. I'd go Macrae only due to his vastly superior disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar seems to have reached his ceiling as a footballer.
Tremendous ball magnet. Accumulates 25 possessions on bad day but in terms of quality, he's not going to be the difference if you allow him to gather 35-40 disposals in a match.

Macrae is similar.

Can't split em to be honest.

Treloar is targeted because he plays for Collingwood and he is a public profile. If he played for a smaller more tolerated club he'd be rated like Neale and Coniglio are.
Oh come on you were commenting on the poll, well going by Collingwoods members and the amount of supporters he would be getting heaps of votes from them, it's in Macraes favour because most naturals voted for him because of knowledge of the game not distaste for your mob

Oh come on you were commenting on the poll, well going by Collingwoods members and the amount of supporters he would be getting heaps of votes from them, it's in Macraes favour because most naturals voted for him because of knowledge of the game not distaste for your mob
Nothing against Macrae, he's a fine player in every sense, but Treloar is stupidly underrated because of the target on his head. He is one of the most versatile midfielders going around - he excels in every role he's asked to play. See the Treloar vs Shiel poll for further proof that Treloar underpolls because of who he is. He's a machine.

Back