Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Big difference. Martin was worth every cent. Degoey has rarely played to an elite level in any season. Dusty does it every week. What sort of bloke shops himself around like he is an elite gun when he has one top ten finish in the Copeland and that was 8th.
I might add that Martin actually got the million dollar offer and he rejected it for less money because he loved his mates and the tiger army.
Loyalty won out.

But we will stab a passionate, dedicated Collingwood man in the back. I think it will have a detrimental effect on the spirit of the players if it happens.

As did JDG with his North offer a couple of years ago. And let's not forget that if he stays this time he'll also be staying for less than he'd get on the open market.

I get the general gist of what you're saying, but according to afl.com Treloar had 42 score involvements this season.

As does Footywire.

I have no inside information but here is my theory. I believe that the Firebirds move for Kim was on the cards 12 months ago before she got pregnant. So when it was suggested the Suns may consider trading picks 1 or 2 for Treloar (i.e. a Godfather offer) the Pies looked twice and checked with Adam if he wanted to move (even though the move was off because she was pregnant). The answer was no and everyone moved on.

Twelve months on and the Suns put pick 5 (and possibly plus) on the table for a 'player like Treloar' and now that the move for Kim was on and announced (albeit AFL media spoiled the announcement) the club may have looked twice, especially as they may be looking at ways to improve their draft position. Again Treloar has said no so everyone moves on. Except the media can't let it go (and notice that it has ramped up since Adam effectively blasted the AFL media for making the story about him instead of about Kim) so they are continuing to report on it. I mean his management has confirmed that the club has not communicated any intention to try and trade Adam, which is something they have apparently communicated to other players (i.e. Tom Phillips)

And I know a number, particularly Damien Barrett, keeps using his comments in his last year of the Giants to sell the idea that you can't trust Adam when he emphatically says he's not leaving. But here is the key difference. In that year the questions where asked during the season in an industry that cannot handle a player telling their club (let alone announcing it publicly) that they want to play elsewhere in the next season. This time around it is in the off season where it would be more beneficial to Adam if he wanted to go, to let it be known that he is potentially gettable given he would want potential suitors to budget him in especially with the unknowns about the salary cap and list sizes.

I like your theory.

So your gut feel is that he stays?

I like your theory.

So your gut feel is that he stays?
My gut feel is yes. Our midfield is very one-paced when he’s not there (it was noticeable this year) so if we were looking to push out someone for salary reasons (supposing that is true) he isn’t who I’d pick. Also why would we extend him and then push him out before the extension kicks in. And he’s adamant he doesn’t want to leave. Like I said I have no inside info so I could be wrong but it doesn’t make sense to me for him to go at this point.

If we can get Cameron in the door then I'm all for trading Treloar. And that's coming from someone who loves him. But he's reached his ceiling and we have the players to cover him moving forward.

My take is that Treloar is staying, unless we can work out a deal to score a gun FA (Jeremy Cameron) using the salary cap relief we get... as well as getting first round picks.

As much as i love Treloar, that's simply an offer you can't pass up.

I think Treloar has a few factors as to why he is the one the club are considering...such as he carries trade value, takes up a fair chunk of our cap, yet probably isn't as damaging as his price tag suggests. Also, the family factors such as his wife's netball contract makes the situation feasible to score GC's top 5 pick.

If it were just a trade for the draft picks, then we won't do it. We are in a window and don't need to be trading out our better players for draft picks. It's only an option if we can score Jeremy Cameron I believe. If we can score Jeremy Cameron plus get high picks, then there would only be a handful of players on our list that I would not consider an option to trade. In fact, I'd just about do it with anyone other than Darcy Moore. So it's no blight on Treloar...he is just the most logical choice to float.

WTF are we doing wrong?

Cats getting Cameron
Brions getting Daniher

We have needed a key forward for two years and are getting no one lol

WTF are we doing wrong?

Cats getting Cameron
Brions getting Daniher

Brions have Neale, and Harris Andrews is likely on reasonable coin as he’s very young, his next contract will probably be the big one. Who else would have been on big coin?

The Cats have stars on the way out, have the quiet lifestyle/surfcoast thing going and have been very successful.

Tigers have made the prelim each of the last four years, and won two.

We overpay mediocre players, so can’t afford to pay anyone meaningful, and can’t keep anyone fit for more than a fortnight.

Brions have Neale, and Harris Andrews is likely on reasonable coin as he’s very young, his next contract will probably be the big one. Who else would have been on big coin?

The Cats have stars on the way out, have the quiet lifestyle/surfcoast thing going and have been very successful.

Tigers have made the prelim each of the last four years, and won two.

We overpay mediocre players, so can’t afford to pay anyone meaningful, and can’t keep anyone fit for more than a fortnight.

I would say Charlie Cameron would be able to buy a fair bit of sun screen with the coin he is on. Zorko? Rich? Not sure what coin Carrymyluggage or Rayner would be on yet?

Have the cats been successful - there last flag was 2011. One year after ours. I don’t fully buy the “lifestyle“ argument. Has to be more to it.

Maybe it’s just a reflection that we over pay players? Whatever it is, it’s not good.

Playing by the rules.
We also missed out on Lynch. Daniher to Brisbane, Cameron to Cats. We really did stack our list with a view to pinching a flag. Think Wells, Beams, Mayne, etc.

Given we lost the GF, we now are destined for a re-build. No short cuts coming our way unfortunately.
WTF are we doing wrong?

Cats getting Cameron
Brions getting Daniher

We also missed out on Lynch. Daniher to Brisbane, Cameron to Cats. We really did stack our list with a view to pinching a flag. Think Wells, Beams, Mayne, etc.

Given we lost the GF, we now are destined for a re-build. No short cuts coming our way unfortunately.

It’s obvious Jeremy Cameron doesn’t wanna be captain, just wants to play captain on Paddy Dangerfields super yacht.
Jezza the piscatorial one....

We aren't the only ones to have tried it and the strategy in general is a sound one. We came within a kick despite the season from hell with injuries and our back line limping into the final series with no 1st string personnel.
I've been following the Pies for over half a century and never in that whole time have we been a lucky club - always we have had to triumph over a deck stacked against us.
It didn't happen this time but it was a good try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(and notice that it has ramped up since Adam effectively blasted the AFL media for making the story about him instead of about Kim)

Maybe he should have simply said “Look, last time I looked, Collingwood’s home ground is the GABBA. So what’s the issue?”

WTF are we doing wrong?

Cats getting Cameron
Brions getting Daniher

We sure as hell don’t want Daniher. He breaks down as often as Ben Reid did.

Not drafting our own genuine low pick KPFs and developing them.
To be fair, Geelong are still benefiting from the previous father-son system which predated live bidding, gave them Hawkins on the cheap and meant that Selwood went to the Cats instead of us.

Not drafting our own genuine low pick KPFs and developing them.

You can only pick what's there. There haven't been many good ones who've come into the AFL in the last decade and are currently very good players (a few of the recent ones look very exciting though, but so did Hogan, Boyd, Patton, Sam Reid)

Cameron: preselected by GWS
Dixon: preselected by GC
Daniher: FS

Who is there that we should have taken that is currently a very good player who was worthy of a very high pick? Maybe Naughton, but we would have played him in defence.

Would have loved Selwood with us

Would have complained a lot about how the scumps didn’t protect him from head high snipers
That would have been so much fun.

I would say Charlie Cameron would be able to buy a fair bit of sun screen with the coin he is on. Zorko? Rich? Not sure what coin Carrymyluggage or Rayner would be on yet?

Have the cats been successful - there last flag was 2011. One year after ours. I don’t fully buy the “lifestyle“ argument. Has to be more to it.

Maybe it’s just a reflection that we over pay players? Whatever it is, it’s not good.

The problem is...THE LIFESTYLE thing...is very real. Players love the ability to escape the city quickly and to also escape the media. They love the local environments and the opportunities for their families. Also Geelong has been very canny in targeting the ex Geelong Falcon's that they're after. They know their histories and their families and they use their families to bring them home. Look at the rental demand and even the sales of houses along the surf coast atm...people are buying properties sight unseen down here!

You can only pick what's there. There haven't been many good ones who've come into the AFL in the last decade and are currently very good players (a few of the recent ones look very exciting though, but so did Hogan, Boyd, Patton, Sam Reid)

Who is there that we should have taken that is currently a very good player who was worthy of a very high pick? Maybe Naughton, but we would have played him in defence.
The players you mentioned all played against boys in the under 18's, MsDonald does it in the WAFL against men

My gut feel is yes. Our midfield is very one-paced when he’s not there (it was noticeable this year) so if we were looking to push out someone for salary reasons (supposing that is true) he isn’t who I’d pick. Also why would we extend him and then push him out before the extension kicks in. And he’s adamant he doesn’t want to leave. Like I said I have no inside info so I could be wrong but it doesn’t make sense to me for him to go at this point.
The problem with Treloar is he can't kick, he knows it and the club knows it, move him on because he isn't worth what we are paying him, Another big list management blunder

You don't know how players would develop in different systems and teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back