Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's standard Collingwood practice to overpay players. I can guarantee, if we swapped lists with Geelong they would not have salary cap issues we do now.
It's standard Collingwood practice is it

Don't think
Bob rose
Leeter Collier
Des fothergill
Ron Todd
Fitzgerald
Len Thompson
Tuddy
Paul Williams
Nick Davis

Would agree

Those descision s over money cost us 7 flags at least

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
There were a few posters on the Saints board suggesting they were sniffing around Treloar. The fact Crouch has nominated them I doubt they’d pursue Adz now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There were a few posters on the Saints board suggesting they were sniffing around Treloar. The fact Crouch has nominated them I doubt they’d pursue Adz now.

They would have no Reason or Salary Cap Room Now

Treloar stuff has died down since Cameron chose Geelong. Coincidence or not.
Died down before that tbh. Journo’s started backtracking a bit on the rhetoric that we’re pushing him out a couple of days ago.

Andrew Yoa

Senior List
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Don't think
Bob rose
Leeter Collier
Des fothergill
Ron Todd
Fitzgerald
Len Thompson
Tuddy
Paul Williams
Nick Davis

Would agree

You really don't know your footy do you!! 7 of the players listed played in an era where salary cap was not an issue, Paul Williams and Mick Malthouse had personal issues between them and Nick Davis was pushed out under the cap.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Died down before that tbh. Journo’s started backtracking a bit on the rhetoric that we’re pushing him out a couple of days ago.

Maybe a bit of both? Perhaps the need to encourage Treloar to look afar has softened, as it’s now apparent that we don’t have to make room for a Cameron-like salary.

Although mostly I agree with you, there was really nothing in it in the first place after Treloar confirmed he’d rather live in seperate states to his wife for a few months.

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
You really don't know your footy do you!! 7 of the players listed played in an era where salary cap was not an issue, Paul Williams and Mick Malthouse had personal issues between them and Nick Davis was pushed out under the cap.
The Tuddy & Thommo situation was very unfortunate, considering we were paying Peter Eakins a lot of money to come over at the time.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm fairly sure davis wanted to live in Sydney with his dad

BuildEmUp

All Australian
Jul 14, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The problem with Treloar is he can't kick, he knows it and the club knows it, move him on because he isn't worth what we are paying him, Another big list management blunder

I agree -
look at his kick from inside 40 metres in final against WC did not score and almost lost us the game. If we can get pick 5 and a some steak knives .. all for it!

Scribe26

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Treloar's kicking is fine. Yup, it's not great, but I'd take him over almost anyone else at the club from 50m on the run.

The problem IMO is where he finds the footy.

To my eye, we've turned a line-breaking, explosive midfielder into another grunt man.

On one hand, you can see that he's worked on the defensive side of his game, which has helped the midfield unit, but I think he butchers the ball because he's not being used correctly and gets a large majority of his disposals in congestion.

I'd like to see us add another Adams-type or give Tyler Brown the keys to an inside role so we can release Treloar to do what he does best.

The guy is still in the absolute prime of his career. I'm expecting a big summer and a career-year in 2021. He strikes me as the kind of guy that will play with a point to prove and I'm going to have a cheeky few bob on him for a lot of Brownlow votes.

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Treloar's kicking is fine. Yup, it's not great, but I'd take him over almost anyone else at the club from 50m on the run.

To my eye, we've turned a line-breaking, explosive midfielder into another grunt man.

On one hand, you can see that he's worked on the defensive side of his game, which has helped the midfield unit, but I think he butchers the ball because he's not being used correctly and gets a large majority of his disposals in congestion.

I'd like to see us add another Adams-type or give Tyler Brown the keys to an inside role so we can release Treloar to do what he does best.

The guy is still in the absolute prime of his career. I'm expecting a big summer and a career-year in 2021. He strikes me as the kind of guy that will play with a point to prove and I'm going to have a cheeky few bob on him for a lot of Brownlow votes.
I can only think of one reason we would be shopping him around - financial. If that is the case, its an indictment on the way we are running the footy department.

He cops a bit of flack on here in the Game On threads but geez, we notice it when he's not there. Who would we be bringing in to replace him?

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm fairly sure davis wanted to live in Sydney with his dad

100% pies tried very hard to convince him to stay and he wanted back to Sydney with mum and dad. Didn't rock up to the BnF and ended up leaving on not great terms. Pitty was a gun and without him Sydney would have donuts.

And to top it off we only received a 2nd rounder as they threatened to let him walk into the PSD.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

I gave you a like for half the post i agree with but disagree on his overall field kicking, when he has space he is fine generally but not often he can find it since the hammies.

I do however agree with you re his role and use of him, been saying it since he came to us that GWS used him more outside as a line Breaker pairing with D.Shiel one 2s and breaking fast fwd of center.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I can only think of one reason we would be shopping him around - financial. If that is the case, its an indictment on the way we are running the footy department.

He cops a bit of flack on here in the Game On threads but geez, we notice it when he's not there. Who would we be bringing in to replace him?

Doc I reckon there are two reasons. Financial as you said and the uncertainty around his ability to deal with the separation from his family during next season. Especially with his known mental struggles previously. It would be disastrous to have one of our key players unavailable (non injury related) or not coping for chunks of the year. That has to also factor into it.

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doc I reckon there are two reasons. Financial as you said and the uncertainty around his ability to deal with the separation from his family during next season. Especially with his known mental struggles previously. It would be disastrous to have one of our key players unavailable (non injury related) or not coping for chunks of the year. That has to also factor into it.

Good point. His partner has a 10 month contract up there, but what if she has a really good season, and even gets back into the National team, what then? She'll be wanting to stay.

Its not a great situation.

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good point. His partner has a 10 month contract up there, but what if she has a really good season, and even gets back into the National team, what then? She'll be wanting to stay.

Its not a great situation.
You would hope that both he and his partner being professional athletes would have taken into consideration their work commitments as well as their personal lives.

With that in mind, the discussion between them must have been had and it is determined that they can both function highly whilst being separated. Whilst its a 10 month arrangement, its not 10 months apart. There is a bye weekend that will allow for around a week they can spend together, Collingwood play in QLD at least once a year and I would assume the Firebirds travel to play the Vixens as well.

I'm backing them both in, for making the hard decisions, to for their respective clubs and ultimately their comfortable future.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Don't think
Bob rose
Leeter Collier
Des fothergill
Ron Todd
Fitzgerald
Len Thompson
Tuddy
Paul Williams
Nick Davis

Would agree

You could add a heap more than that, and that's without even looking at the players we didn't bring in like Quinlan.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of all the players we missed out on over the journey, that one hurts the most. And he'd pretty much said yes.

Yep. Quinlan &/or Lockett. Who knows what we'd have done with them in the side.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yep. Quinlan &/or Lockett. Who knows what we'd have done with them in the side.

I’m not quite old enough to really remember Quinlan but the Lockett deal not getting done due to Wayne Richardson not wanting his kid to get traded is one that really hurts.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
You would hope that both he and his partner being professional athletes would have taken into consideration their work commitments as well as their personal lives.

With that in mind, the discussion between them must have been had and it is determined that they can both function highly whilst being separated. Whilst its a 10 month arrangement, its not 10 months apart. There is a bye weekend that will allow for around a week they can spend together, Collingwood play in QLD at least once a year and I would assume the Firebirds travel to play the Vixens as well.

I'm backing them both in, for making the hard decisions, to for their respective clubs and ultimately their comfortable future.

Its pretty disappointing however that they didnt come along to Bigfooty and put it to a public vote.

Back