Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good
Will be a star

+_af4d4152d5058635ebe659e6979b61d7.jpg

Last edited:
For example, a previous poster said that the Saints don't have anything to give us for Treloar. I don't agree. I'd prefer pick 15 and Jack Lonie to a pick 4-8 from another club, for example, because Lonie addresses a need IMO

Well I'm one of those "previous posters" and Jack Lonie is so vanilla it's not funny. Not the dangerous pressure small forward that will keep opposition defences looking over their shoulders which is what we really need.

An early pick (eg. Pick 5). will get us something far better in terms of a kid who will likely be a 10 year player and that wouldn't be all we'd get back in return either.

If we really wanted Lonie then we just have to wait for him to either be delisted or trade him in for a late pick, as that is all he is worth.

If we're going to trade out a gun midfielder then let's get something back in return which is at least half decent.

Well I'm one of those "previous posters" and Jack Lonie is so vanilla it's not funny. Not the dangerous pressure small forward that will keep opposition defences looking over their shoulders which is what we really need.

An early pick (eg. Pick 5). will get us something far better in terms of a kid who will likely be a 10 year player and that wouldn't be all we'd get back in return either.

If we really wanted Lonie then we just have to wait for him to either be delisted or trade him in for a late pick, as that is all he is worth.

If we're going to trade out a gun midfielder then let's get something back in return which is at least half decent.
Exactly Lonie is average at best. Where the draft hand we could get from Treloar could be massive

Exactly Lonie is average at best. Where the draft hand we could get from Treloar could be massive

If we walked away with, say, 2020 picks 5 and 14, Will Brodie, Reef McInnes and Nick Daicos (next year) before we even considered doing something with our 2021 first then I'd be happy enough, even with the disappointment of losing Treloar.

If we subsequently flicked out our 2021 first for the doggies 2020 pick 12 then we'd have a stupidly strong draft hand over 2020-2021, which could be very good for our prospects 4-5 years down the track.

Last edited:

Another Fox Footy article on Treloar.

IF he gets traded and IF he stays in Vic the Saints have already publicly stated they’d love to add another elite mid. If he went there what would they need to give us? Not sure pick 15 or next years 1st would cut it.

I would hate it but Essendon would probably be the best destination for us in terms of picks available and/or a Merrett to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Essendon could end up with 2 or maybe 3 top 10 picks with Saad and Daniher leaving.

Give - Treloar

Get - 6 and their 2nd in 2021, gets us a good pick this year and some points for Daicos next year.

But Dodoro is a proper bell end and impossible to deal with. He’d probably offer this years 2nd and next years 3rd for Treloar.

Essendon could end up with 2 or maybe 3 top 10 picks with Saad and Daniher leaving.

Give - Treloar

Get - 6 and their 2nd in 2021, gets us a good pick this year and some points for Daicos next year.

But Dodoro is a proper bell end and impossible to deal with. He’d probably offer this years 2nd and next years 3rd for Treloar.
I'd avoid Essendon at all costs. He's already negotiating with Carlton for Saad, will have to somehow get 4 first round picks in for Daniher, and will leave it to the last 5 minutes and offer us pick 98. * him and * Essendon. Get North to pony up for him if he has to go.

How is Saad being talked up as a top ten pick?
I am probably underrating him, but I've never been a big fan. He's an ok player, but I see him as a bit of a beefed up Lewis Taylor. Nothing to get overly excited about. For a half back flanker, I'd settle for plenty of guys before him, including our own. I'd be gutted if we even contemplated some of the deals that have been thrown up. Rumours of pick 7 and a Sam Walsh, Charlie Curnow etc make me throw up in my mouth a little bit. If I was Carlton, I'd offer their 2nd round pick and thats about it. It'll no doubt cost more than that, but I'm glad its someone else paying it.

If we are trading treloar solely due to cap issues, then this club is more screwed than first thought.
This! No way that Treloars name being bandied about by the club is because of poor form by the player himself. It’s a pure salary dump because the powers that be have no idea how to negotiate and do the sums, so this is their way to fix it. Just another case of mismanagement within the club to add to the pile. For a professional club, they are so amateurish.

This! No way that Treloars name being bandied about by the club is because of poor form by the player himself. It’s a pure salary dump because the powers that be have no idea how to negotiate and do the sums, so this is their way to fix it. Just another case of mismanagement within the club to add to the pile. For a professional club, they are so amateurish.

You don't dump good players because of salary cap issues, especially when you don't have a lot of midfield talent coming through.

Either they are genuinely worried about his ability to cope without his wife and child (as am I TBH) or its something else other than money.

It's going to be a very interesting trade period - it will probably be Buckley's last chance at assembling a team that can take him all the way and could either end in glory or 5 years down the bottom of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't dump good players because of salary cap issues, especially when you don't have a lot of midfield talent coming through.

Either they are genuinely worried about his ability to cope without his wife and child (as am I TBH) or its something else other than money.

It's going to be a very interesting trade period - it will probably be Buckley's last chance at assembling a team that can take him all the way and could either end in glory or 5 years down the bottom of the ladder.
I'm guessing the latter.

that is the main reason they hired Ned Guy.

A combination of Gubby Allan and Derek Hine really screwed us.

The question I have is whether the Treloar deal was back ended due in some part to the Mayne and Wells deals? Two shocking deals by Gubby Allan.

I think the alleged salary cap issue could be a snowball effect from that?

I am probably underrating him, but I've never been a big fan. He's an ok player, but I see him as a bit of a beefed up Lewis Taylor. Nothing to get overly excited about. For a half back flanker, I'd settle for plenty of guys before him, including our own. I'd be gutted if we even contemplated some of the deals that have been thrown up. Rumours of pick 7 and a Sam Walsh, Charlie Curnow etc make me throw up in my mouth a little bit. If I was Carlton, I'd offer their 2nd round pick and thats about it. It'll no doubt cost more than that, but I'm glad its someone else paying it.

That was just Dodoro being a moron at the trade table like he usually is. Nobody wants to deal with him, but the steady exodus of players from Essendon now is forcing them to.

Pick 27 is close enough to what Essendon gave the Suns for him back in 2017, so while be might be worth a bit more than that now as he is a better player, Dodoro might just have to suck it up, as Carlton doesn't have anything else to offer and Saad is certainly not worth an early first round pick.

I'd have him at Collingwood (for the right price) if we didn't already have Maynard, who is a better (and in some ways worse) version of Saad.

Last edited:
Just listened to a podcast from mid September with Derek Hine being interviewed.

Based on Hines comments, it sounds like the potential move of Treloar, will mainly be to get high in the draft. The draft is apparently good for talls.

So I would say if we do bring players in, they will be the knives in a deal with the primary focus being high draft picks.

Just listened to a podcast from mid September with Derek Hine being interviewed.

Based on Hines comments, it sounds like the potential move of Treloar, will mainly be to get high in the draft. The draft is apparently good for talls.

So I would say if we do bring players in, they will be the knives in a deal with the primary focus being high draft picks.
This is kind of the impression that I have gotten from the whole thing too. Gold Coast seem to be a good suitor in that regard, as we'd likely be able to flip pick 5 for one of the higher picks... I think

If we are hard up against the cap, and we want to get out from under it, the way forward would be to trade players on big contracts for draft picks.

The downside(s) of this are that the pick has not established themselves as a legit AFL talent, and that they typically won’t hit that level until years down the track even if they do make it, which sets the team back as a whole in the short term.

Trading out four first-rounders for Treloar and Beams may have cost us in ways we hadn’t foreseen, or at least were prepared to gamble on and lost.

Last edited:
If we walked away with, say, 2020 picks 5 and 14, Will Brodie, Reef McInnes and Nick Daicos (next year) before we even considered doing something with our 2021 first then I'd be happy enough, even with the disappointment of losing Treloar.

If we subsequently flicked out our 2021 first for the doggies 2020 pick 12 then we'd have a stupidly strong draft hand over 2020-2021, which could be very good for our prospects 4-5 years down the track.
We would more than likely be after 2MP rather than Brodie but yeah, I like where you're going

As someone that's dealt with my own anxiety issues I can see how this has played out.
Collingwood is not the best club to play for if you have these issues given the media blowtorch and outright lies to get a story - and the pressure.
It's in both parties interests, Treloar and Collingwood's for a move to a club like the Suns, and the GCS's win too by getting a marquee player. I dare say this has been discussed over the past 18 months and both parties - Treloar and Collingwood are in the loop. And the point of a trade is to get a win/win/win - that also takes into account the players personality and lifestyle.

It's a cool story that Collingwood have disregarded Treloars MH battles and gone behind his back but that's quite unlikely.

Feels like incredibly poor form to trade him. Such a quality character, and top notch player...only knock are the hamstrings. But back him in to get over that with his work ethic.

Hamstring, good trade value, 5yrs of big money along with the wife and kid being away I think are all pretty good reasons from a business stand point to trade him.

Hamstrings I think could become a real issue for him. I don’t recall him bursting from packs as much since he did the double hamstring. It was his main weapon, without that in 5yrs time when he is early 30s with dodgy hamstrings he won’t be much of a player.

That double hamstring he did was quite bad and a risk as he gets older. The hamstring he did this year was on the back of those 4 games in 2wks stretch we had. In hindsight he should’ve been rested from one of those games like Darcy Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back