Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
My final 2018 national phantom draft.

spots.JPG

*Ages are as at national draft night (November 23, 2018)
If you spot any errors, please let me know as I’m pretty prone to overlooking things

PHANTOM DRAFT

Pick 1, Carlton
Sam Walsh | Balanced Midfielder 183cm/74kg
VIC Country | Geelong Falcons
Profile: Prolific ball-winning midfielder with good ball use and clutch decision making.

Rationale: It’s no secret that Carlton’s midfield is its weakest link – disposals, contested possessions, clearances, inside 50’s – they ranked in the bottom four for all these stats. Walsh’s class and poise will complement Cripps and the developing Kennedy well. The Blues have thought long and hard about this for months – don’t expect too long of a wait for this boy’s name to ring around the room.

Pick 2, Gold Coast
Jack Lukosius | Key Forward 196cm/84kg
South Australia | Woodville West-Torrens
Profile: Best key forward to come through in years. Elite overhead mark and a great field kick too.

Rationale: The Suns apparently lost a good key forward, so logically the boy who has been compared to Riewoldt and classified as the best under 18 forward of the modern era will appeal to them greatly. Gold Coast ranked 18th in marks inside 50 in 2018; there’s no way they’ll let that slide. The Suns have plenty of time on their hands for development, and they should be able to accommodate the versatile Lukosius with plenty of game time to help him settle in over the next two years. Like Walsh, you can take this one to the bank as well.

Pick 3, Gold Coast [Lynch compensation pick]
Izak Rankine | Balanced Midfielder/General Forward 180cm/76kg
South Australia | West Adelaide
Profile: Freakish forward-midfielder with elite composure and skill who hits the scoreboard.

Rationale: Rumoured to be a go-home risk, the Suns appear set to take their chances on perhaps the best player in this year’s draft. Like Lukosius, Rankine is from South Australia and the double-up is likely to improve the chances of retention. The Suns have a pretty efficient forward line as it is and this selection only bolds it even more into making it possibly the league’s most promising. I can definitely see Rankine in 2019 replicating Jaidyn Stephenson’s unbelievable debut season.

Pick 4, St Kilda
Bailey Smith | Inside Midfielder 183cm/79kg
VIC Metro | Sandringham Dragons
Profile: High-production, efficient ball user who contributes consistently

Rationale: I was of the belief that the Saints would take Max King for pretty much the whole year but in the dying stages, I think they’ve switched to the all-rounded midfielder Bailey Smith, who is pretty much an absolute lock to become at least a 200-game soldier for the club. He’s just a natural footballer designed for the modern game. I do reckon the Saints need a key forward in Max King but on the night, I reckon they’ll surprise a few by taking either Smith or Rozee. The Saints have a dire need for midfield class, x-factor and kicking skills and Smith brings that and more to the table immediately.

Pick 5, Port Adelaide [received from Brisbane Lions]
Max King | Key Forward 201cm/86kg
Profile: Mobile forward with a great overhead mark and plenty of X-factor

Rationale: Best available selection for the Power – they would have traded up with Rankine in their sights but with him off the radar, Max King becomes the star of the night by providing the Power with their star full-forward of the 2020’s. I doubted the Power’s need for a tall, but then I assessed that Dixon is 28 coming off a shaky season, Marshall has taken leave at times to be with family in Victoria following two tragic family bouts, and Ryder if you consider him capable is struggling hugely with injury in the twilight of his career. Port Adelaide are in a mini-rebuild even if they haven’t realised it yet, and starting it by picking the best full forward so far this decade is a fantastic start.

Pick 6, Gold Coast [from Fremantle via Port Adelaide via Brisbane Lions via Fremantle via Melbourne]
Connor Rozee | General Forward/Balanced Midfielder 185cm/72kg
South Australia | North Adelaide
Profile: Highly productive utility with tricks and skills of all sorts

Rationale: The rumour mill has it all but certain that three South Australians will join the Gold Coast Suns on draft night and Rozee completes the treble. He’s very close with Lukosius so the culture pull is attractive, he’ll eventually grow into a very dynamic attacking midfielder which will accompany their many inside options, and he appears to be a very committed gentleman who can help build a great club on the Gold Coast. The South Australian hat-trick will be the talk of the town the morning after November 22nd.

Pick 7, Western Bulldogs
Jordan Clark | Balanced Midfielder/General Defender 182cm/78kg
Western Australia | Claremont
Profile: Composed defender with silky foot skills and good agility who makes his way around traffic

Rationale: Clark is the best half-back of the draft whose skills and composure will translate very well into senior footy comparable to Andrew McGrath and in time when he builds his endurance, Clark could become a sensational wingman or even on-baller comparable to Steele Sidebottom in the future. The Bulldogs have a gaping need for elite kicking and class in midfield and I reckon in the long run, Clark relieves these needs and becomes one of the club’s biggest stars.

Pick 8, Sydney Swans [academy bid]
1551 points (1241 with 20% discount). Sydney Swans lose Pick 26 (729) and Pick 33 (563) with 51 points leftover. Swans gain Pick 8 and Pick 68.

Nick Blakey | Tall Utility 194cm/75kg
NSW-ACT | University of New South Wales
Profile: Mobile forward whose athleticism and skill can see him play anywhere

Rationale: No comment, really – Blakey is a sensational talent, and the Swans would even match a bid at pick one. Sam Reid’s everlasting injuries have caused Sydney some serious headaches up forward over the years, so Blakey should be a breath of fresh air, and should blossom just in time for Franklin’s decline. With fellow local talents Heeney and Mills, expect Blakey to become a poster boy in Sydney for years to come.

Pick 9, Adelaide
Ben King | Key Forward/Key Defender 201cm/85kg
Profile: Strong contested marking swingman with an incredible overhead mark

Rationale: No, he’s not South Australian and Adelaide aren’t really in dire need of a key position player but at this point, I think Ben King really comes in consideration here as a pure best available selection. Ben King is one of my favourite prospects this year and I think his athleticism and strength will see him develop into an elite player at either end of the ground. Even despite their strong KPP depth – they could do with some insurance, Jenkins and Walker are edging toward their 30’s and Hartigan is struggling to hold his own down back. King is an elite prospect who can not only shore up Adelaide’s KPP stocks for 10-15 years, but he can immediately put pressure on the underperforming tall players already there. And despite the hatred these clubs have for each other, a selection of Max King by Port Adelaide and Ben by Adelaide could see both clubs be able to keep their star young talls for the long run.

Pick 10, GWS Giants [from Essendon]
Jye Caldwell | Balanced Midfielder 181cm/78kg
VIC Country | Bendigo Pioneers
Profile: Contested ball winner who cuts up the opposition and tackles very well.

Rationale: Caldwell’s hard run and burst speed going forward will be a huge boost for a Giants side that lacks leg speed. Arguably a top five talent if injury held off, his ball winning and movement is also top shelf. I believe that a real pure inside-out midfielder like Caldwell who uses it well and possesses a strong defensive game is a perfect complementation to GWS’ attacking-primal midfield. They really should go best available here.

Pick 11, Port Adelaide
Jackson Hately | Inside Midfielder/Tall Utility 192cm/79kg
South Australia | Central District
Profile: Tall ball winner in midfield who can play all over the ground and is a good user by foot.

Rationale: For inside midfielders younger than Wines, the Power have no one beyond Powell-Pepper and Atley. Hately not only presents the Power with an impressive young inside midfielder whose commitment and professionalism is of a great standard, he’s the best available and he’s South Australian. Hately definitely is a top ten talent in my eyes, so if the Power can get their hands on him, they absolutely should and I doubt they’ll need to look back in time and wonder what if?

Pick 12, North Melbourne [NGA bid]
1268 points (1014 with 20% discount). Kangaroos lose Pick 41 (412), Pick 46 (331) and Pick 47 (316) with 45 points leftover. Kangaroos gain Pick 12, Pick 69 and Pick 94.

Tarryn Thomas | Balanced Midfielder 189cm/80kg
Tasmania | North Launceston
Profile: Gut-running midfielder with terrific burst speed who runs both ways and takes the game on

Rationale: Thomas could slide closer to the end of the first round I reckon, but I suspect Port may bid on him as they look for more speed and class particularly on the outside. Not much to say here – Thomas will become a North Melbourne under the circumstances of any realistic bid and his burst speed and efficient ball use is exactly what the midfield brigade lacks.

Pick 13, GWS Giants [from North Melbourne via Port Adelaide via Fremantle]
Chayce Jones | Outside Midfielder 179cm/73kg
Tasmania | Launceston
Profile: Outside dual-sided accumulator who is rapid and doesn’t mind a goal

Rationale: Following Scully’s departure, GWS are in need of outside run and carry – Jones has performed in that role at an elite level at senior level in Tasmania, so expect him to provide competition to the Giants’ impressive list of midfielders immediately. With Jones, GWS have effectively written off the loss of Scully as an expense – I have no doubt that in the long run, Jones will prove to be in the top handful of pure wingmen in the game.

Pick 14, Geelong
Riley Collier-Dawkins | Inside Midfielder 193cm/88kg
VIC Metro | Oakleigh Chargers
Profile: Mobile ball-winning midfielder with pace who uses the ball well

Rationale: I disagree with the argument that Geelong don’t need midfielders – disposals, centre clearances, inside 50’s, clearances – they didn’t rank highly in any of these. Collier-Dawkins is one of those big-bodied mids who needs to be locked in a VFL box for a while but the end result may be glorious. Collier-Dawkins is a tall explosive attacking midfielder who when on, cannot be stopped. Geelong shopped appropriately in the trade period to top up for perhaps one more premiership tilt and they don’t need to recruit through the first round for immediate impact. Expect RCD to nurture in the seconds in preparation for a day where he and Constable and Fogarty headline Geelong’s midfield.

Pick 15, Adelaide [from Sydney Swans]
Zak Butters | General Forward/Outside Midfielder 178cm/70kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Profile: Classy and speedy wingman who spreads well and can win his own ball going forward

Rationale: Butters is the exact type of midfielder Adelaide need to rejuvenate their team with. Picked a bit prematurely most would agree but I argue Butters is exactly what Adelaide need in the forward half of the ground. Butters comes into Adelaide as a finisher in front of goal, who will eventually become a half-forward/wing player where he can win more footy and set up play going inside 50. I can confirm that Adelaide have great interest in Butters, and clubs pay a premium for speed and class nowadays, so this is a smoky pick I’m happy to back in.

Pick 16, Fremantle [from GWS Giants]
Ian Hill | Outside Midfielder/Small Forward 176cm/66kg
Western Australia | Perth
Profile: Quick, evasive winger with skills, hurt factor and goal sense

Rationale: Fremantle’s forward line at ground level is slow and rusty – Ian Hill is much like his cousins Stephen and Brad – he’s creative, silky and very skilled, and he is a great goal sneak too. He’ll take some time to grow as a competitor in the WAFL, but I wouldn’t put it beyond him to compete for spots in the 22 by the end of the season. His spark and class will be a cool complement to the new recruits Lobb and Hogan. The Dockers clearly need midfielders who can win the footy, but with so much depth later on in the draft, I think Fremantle are well placed with their picks to land some later on.

Pick 17, Port Adelaide [from Hawthorn]
Liam Stocker | Inside Midfielder 183cm/83kg
Profile: Powerful ball winner who kicks and spreads well and possesses a nice outside game too

Rationale: Port Adelaide’s midfield needs depth, depth, depth – Powell-Pepper and Atley are basically the only two midfielders younger than Wines. Stocker is best available here – he is an elite contested midfielder whose explosive speed and tackling sets him apart from the standard inside midfielder. He’ll play senior footy in 2019 wherever he goes, and expect him to become an absolute warrior for his team. I reckon he’s pretty much perfect for Port Adelaide – crown him Brad Ebert’s successor.

Pick 18, Adelaide [from Melbourne]
Jez McLennan | General Defender 184cm/82kg
South Australia | Central District
Profile: Elite kicking rebounding defender who can take a grab and defend his man well

Rationale: Stephenson, Gray, Martin, Petracca, Dangerfield etc. – mid-sized players murdered Adelaide’s defence in 2018. McLennan has senior SANFL experience and succeeded in handling the size of his mature opponents and he was great in the act of closing space on his men and creating space for himself and his teammates. McLennan is a leader down back and a player who will play senior footy in 2019 and quickly find a place in his team wherever he goes. McLennan is a must-get for Adelaide in my eyes and I wouldn’t begrudge them reaching for him with an earlier pick.

Pick 19, Collingwood [NGA bid]
948 points (751 with 197-point discount). Collingwood lose Pick 41 (412) and Pick 43 (378) with 39 points leftover. Magpies gain Pick 19 and Pick 70.

Isaac Quaynor | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 179cm/82kg
Profile: Long kicking rapid rebounding defender who can lock down an opponent or play higher up the ground

Rationale: I’m not sure what Collingwood actually prefer – a bid as late as possible in order to save on draft points or a bid before Brisbane’s pick so that trading this year’s first round pick for Beams becomes irrelevant. Either way, expect Quaynor to become a Magpie as long as no bid comes in the top ten. The Magpies need to build defensive depth and the balanced defender Quaynor fits the bill perfectly and he could slot into the 22 sooner rather than later. He’s a very determined young man and I predict he will become a favourite of Buckley’s.

Pick 20, Richmond
Curtis Taylor | General Forward/Inside Midfielder 186cm/79kg
VIC Metro | Calder Cannons
Profile: Hard-working midfield-forward who is very skilled and highly damaging

Rationale: Taylor will begin his career up forward but his speed and competitiveness will be best served in midfield going forward in time, where he can win the pill and use his burst speed and clever decision making to set up attacking play. If things go right, I think Taylor can become Robbie Gray-level good – he has shown on many occasions his limitless potential but he just hasn’t gotten the best out of himself yet. I reckon he’s got the X-factor that Richmond are really looking forward across half-forward and through the middle

Pick 21, Brisbane Lions [from Collingwood]
Xavier Duursma | Balanced Midfielder 185cm/71kg
VIC Metro | Gippsland Power
Profile: Hard-working wingman who earns his share of hard ball and has plenty of hurt factor

Rationale: The Lions’ list manager has addressed midfield and defensive depth as the two areas of concern, so back in the Lions to go best available midfielder with their first selection. Duursma is a versatile option that I have no doubt will fit in nicely in Brisbane’s system as a support option who runs all day and can play absolutely anywhere. He’ll be a nice side dish for Berry, Neale and Lyons who will be supplying a lot of the ball in 2019 and beyond.

Pick 22, GWS Giants [from West Coast via Gold Coast via Brisbane Lions via Fremantle]
Sam Sturt | Medium Forward 188cm/79kg
Dandenong Stingrays
Profile: A highly impactful mid-sized forward who is strong overhead and is a ripping kick

Rationale: I have identified Greater Western Sydney’s forward line as their greatest deficiency and whilst they’re pretty stocked for marking options in that best 22, I think Sturt is a great fit as a mid-sized option comparable to the way Cam McCarthy fit in 2015, by supporting two talls by providing another marking target as well as being perfectly competent at ground level too. Johnny Patton may be just one more serious knee injury from curtains, so it’s always good to have insurance. From a statistical analysis, the Giants sat 13th in marks taken inside 50 and 11th for goals in 2018 – they aren’t going to win their maiden premiership without reinventing that forward line.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 23, West Coast [compensation pick]
Luke Valente | Inside Midfielder/Medium Forward 186cm/79kg
South Australia | Norwood
Profile: Strong ball-winning half-forward with a blend of class and hardness, who oozes leadership

Rationale: As a man who has taken leadership in his stride as a teenager, I reckon he will heavily appeal to an Eagles outfit that needs to bolster its young player clan as well as its midfield depth. Valente can play for the Eagles in round one and stay there – his cleanliness and dual-sided ability will be very good going forward, and his pressure and tackling will be equally as effective going back. Combined with his contested ball winning and strength, Valente will be an effective on-baller in his peak.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 24, Western Bulldogs [F/S bid]
785 points (588 with 197-point discount). Bulldogs lose Pick 29 (653) and gain Pick 24.

Rhylee West | Inside Midfielder 180cm/80kg
Profile: Inside bull with lightning hands and elite strength who is rarely beaten one-on-one

Rationale: West is Bulldog bound with any reasonable bid. West’s strength allows him to make sure his height is no disadvantage. West is a proper two-way running midfield who will ensure the Bulldogs have sufficient midfield depth and don’t have to bank on questionable prospects any longer.

Pick 25, Adelaide [from Carlton]
Boyd Woodcock | Small Forward 174cm/68kg
Profile: Explosive small forward whose SANFL stardom has elevated his draft value

Rationale: The Crows have no shortage of local small forwards after trade period however the recruitment of depth can allow flexibility with players like Gallucci and Greenwood whose futures belong in the midfield. Woodcock is a proven success against men despite his tiny frame and recruiters will see that upside as something worth taking a punt on. Dangerous in the air and clinical at ground level, Woodcock is yet another worthy candidate of potentially succeeding the great Eddie Betts.

Pick 26, West Coast [from Gold Coast]
Will Hamill | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 185cm/70kg
VIC Country | Dandenong Stingrays
Profile: Prolific intercept defender who provides run and efficient ball use also.

Rationale: I’m all about Hamill and I reckon he has insane upside. I reckon there’s a need for a mid-sized intercept defender at West Coast who can also find space and provide heaps of rebound out of defensive 50. His skill and composure can be described as graceful and they’re traits that the Eagles built a premiership upon. Hamill is a great fit at West Coast who have Hurn and Sheppard approaching the twilight of their careers.

Pick 27, Melbourne [from St Kilda via Port Adelaide via Fremantle]
Xavier O’Halloran | Inside Midfielder 186cm/82kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Profile: Inside specialist – a leader, ball winner, clearance king who boasts extreme acceleration

Rationale: I’m actually a big fan of O’Halloran, but I reckon he could be a second day slider. Purely a best available pick for the Demons, who now have another impressive young professional midfielder to help build the midfield into being the deepest and best in the comp. I still won’t be surprised to see Xavier go near the top ten however, he has some really appealing qualities.

Pick 28, Gold Coast [from Brisbane Lions]
Ely Smith | Inside Midfielder 188cm/86kg
Murray Bushrangers
Profile: Strong midfielder who hits contests hard and wins the ball consistently

Rationale: Best available selection for Gold Coast and it’s the Murray Bushranger who is considered a top 20 player by many. Ely is a very strong contested midfielder with lightning hands and great distribution, and clearances come aplenty. Some compare his rookie year to Clayton Oliver’s so Gold Coast’s need for midfield depth could be a blessing in disguise at this pick.

Pick 29, GWS Giants [from Fremantle]
Ned McHenry | Small Forward/Outside Midfielder 176cm/71kg
Profile: Hard-running machine with elite pressure who makes great decisions with ball in hand

Rationale: The Giants would love McHenry here I reckon; they have a fairly bland array of small forwards – capable – but not amazing. McHenry is a tackling machine who uses the ball well and wins his own ball both up forward and through midfield. The only reason McHenry isn’t going inside the top 15 on draft night is his size but make no mistake, he gets the absolute most out of himself and he will be a very good player at AFL level. Expect him to play senior footy in 2019.

Pick 30, Brisbane Lions [academy bid]
629 points (432 with 197-point discount). Lions lose Pick 32, gain Pick 30

Connor McFadyen | Tall Utility 190cm/88kg
Allies | Brisbane Lions NEAFL
Profile: Tall ball winning midfield-forward with class and versatility who could be developed in any role

Rationale: The big-bodied midfielder will be heading to Brisbane and you can bank on it. He’s another addition to Brisbane’s impressive collection of young ball winners, this one a powerful, tall utility who is a strong mark and can pretty much play anywhere.

Also, I can’t be the only one to have thought his surname was ‘McFayden’ until recently.

Pick 31, Melbourne [from Adelaide via Carlton via Sydney Swans via St Kilda]
Jacob Kennerley | Outside Midfielder 184cm/76kg
Profile: Speedy ball getter who can run along a wing all day and provide outside link-up

Rationale: It’s been made very obvious that Melbourne need outside class to support their infinite array of hard ball specialists. Kennerley is very prominent going forward – his ball use is class and his scoreboard impact is sound.

Pick 32, Gold Coast [from Essendon]
Jacob Koschitzke | Key Defender 196cm/94kg
Allies | Murray Bushrangers
Profile: Strong one-on-one key defender who is ready to go at senior level

Rationale: The Suns have been linked to Koschitzke and it makes sense given that the Suns are at the beginning of a list reformation, and the clever thing would be to load up on long-term key position players. Koschitzke could be playing senior footy by pretty early next year.

Pick 33, Fremantle [from North Melbourne]
Luke Foley | Inside Midfielder 187cm/75kg
Western Australia | Subiaco
Profile: Overage ball winner whose run and carry stands out above all

Rationale: The Dockers need midfield depth and Foley is a local prodigy who will play senior footy in 2019. Foley’s clean ball use as well as his composure and versatility should be welcomed. The Dockers invested heavily in the forward line over the off-season after Neale left a wide hole in the midfield, so expect them to pick up some midfielders on the second day.

Pick 34, Western Bulldogs [from Geelong via Gold Coast via Brisbane Lions]
James Rowbottom | Inside Midfielder 185cm/78kg
Profile: Quality ball winner with an elite defensive game

Rationale: The Bulldogs need players who hit hard and win the pill and few are better at that this year than BT’s nephew Rowbottom. He owns a complete set of defensive attributes for a midfielder of his kind highlighted by his tackling and run-with ability. He is one who can play fairly early in 2019. He’ll fit in very nicely at the Bulldogs I suspect.

Pick 35, North Melbourne [F/S bid]
522 points (325 with 197-point discount). Kangaroos lose Pick 45, gain Pick 36.

Bailey Scott | Balanced Midfielder 186cm/74kg
Queensland | Broadbeach
Profile: Versatile midfielder who provides run and scoreboard impact

Rationale: Expect Bailey to become a Kangaroo in the draft – with Thomas, they become two great prospects with attributes and versatility that come fresh to North’s midfield. Scott contributes clean skills, a strong contested presence and scoreboard impact as well as an effective defensive game.

Pick 36, Essendon [from GWS Giants]
Fraser Turner | Outside Midfielder 186cm/75kg
Allies | Clarence
Profile: Clean wingman with great endurance who provides his teammates with constant link-up

Rationale: Some will shake their head at Essendon taking a wingman but I argue the Bombers really need a class wingman like Turner. Turner can run, run, run and endurance is an area that Essendon are very strong in – they have a strong inside unit, a skilled runner who kicks goals and can occasionally win a hard ball will be a fantastic addition.

Pick 37, Brisbane Lions [from Hawthorn via Port Adelaide]
Jack Bytel | Inside Midfielder 188cm/82kg
VIC Country | Calder Cannons
Profile: Clearance and contested-ball winning machine, one of the strongest this year

Rationale: A huge slider over six months, Bytel has the potential to become one of the game’s strongest inside players. Bytel is a heavy accumulator with a strong defensive mindset, who can give all game. This is plainly a best available selection for Brisbane, and one that could complete their midfield recruitment for a while.

Pick 38, St Kilda [from Melbourne]
Sydney Stack | Inside Midfielder 179cm/72kg
Profile: Working class ball winner with great strength and tackling ability, and great breakaway speed

Rationale: The versatile midfielder has a real competitive edge and he has plenty of attributes to suggest he can make it at senior level – St Kilda need to build on its midfield depth for the future and if available, I see Stack as too good to pass up.

Pick 39, Richmond
Tom McKenzie | Outside Midfielder 182cm/73kg
VIC Metro | Northern Knights
Profile: Versatile mid who is an elite ball user and decision maker with clean skills. Endurance machine.

Rationale: It’s taken a while, but the Northern Knights are on the board. McKenzie is just a cool, calm midfielder with smarts and X-factor. Richmond were dominated on the spread late in the year and I believe McKenzie is one who can fix this in the future. He may even become a rebounding defender and free up a player like Vlaustin to move into the midfield permanently.

Pick 40, Collingwood [F/S bid]
429 points (232 with 197-point discount). Magpies lose Pick 53, gain Pick 40.

Will Kelly | Key Defender 193cm/83kg
Profile: Modern key defender who can intercept and lockdown to a high extent

Rationale: Kelly could collect a bid at around the 20 mark I reckon but I don’t think it’s highly likely. The Magpies need to sort out a replacement for Lynden Dunn for 2020 and beyond, so having Kelly dished up is a privilege and one the club will not turn down.

Pick 41, Sydney Swans [from Collingwood]
Thomas Berry | Balanced Midfielder/General Defender 184cm/74kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Profile: Ball winning midfielder with explosive pace, versatility and agility

Rationale: Sydney have a pretty solid abundance of ball winners on the list and whilst Berry can contribute to that himself, his real specialty is his carry which I reckon Sydney definitely need to invest in. He is a hard attacking footballer who gets the ball forward at all costs. He definitely needs to improve on some things but the potential is sky high.

Pick 42, Sydney Swans [from West Coast via St Kilda]
Tyron Smallwood | Small Forward 177cm/80kg
Profile: Smart small forward with great execution and a strong defensive game

Rationale: Sydney have a dazzling array of mid-sized forwards but one more who is really capable at ground level would be ideal. Sydney need forwards who are more capable defensively, and who can really spice up the forward 50 with more creativity to help out the goal kickers.

Pick 43, Sydney Swans [from Carlton via Adelaide]
Riley Grundy | Key Defender 195cm/79kg
South Australia | Sturt
Profile: Raw athletic key defender with elite intercepting and huge upside

Pick 44, West Coast [NGA bid]
362 points (165 with 197-point discount). Eagles lose Pick 57, gain Pick 44.

Jarrod Cameron | Small Forward 180cm/69kg
Western Australia | Swan Districts
Profile: Gun pressure forward who is strong in contested situations and possesses a great goal sense

Pick 45, Fremantle [from Brisbane Lions via Geelong via Carlton via GWS Giants]
Damon Greaves | General Defender 186cm/74kg
Western Australia | East Perth
Profile: High scope defender with a great penetrating kick who can also stop his opponent

Pick 46, Western Bulldogs
Ben Jarvis | Medium Utility 188cm/77kg
Profile: Medium forward who plays tall for his height and has midfield scope

Pick 47, St Kilda [from Adelaide via Melbourne]
Zac Foot | Small Forward 180cm/71kg
Profile: Clever small forward with smarts and goal sense, whose pressure is a great trait

Pick 48, Melbourne [NGA bid]
302 points (105 with 197-point discount). Demons lose Pick 52, gain Pick 48.

Toby Bedford | Small Forward 176cm/65kg
Profile: Highly impactful defensive small forward with flash and dash

Pick 49, Geelong
Lachlan Sholl | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 185cm/77kg
Profile: Classy rebounding defender and wing player with smarts and strong decision making

Pick 50, Geelong [from Sydney Swans via Collingwood]
Charlie Sprague | Medium Forward 187cm/79kg
Profile: Prolific forward with game smarts and goal sense

Pick 51, GWS Giants
Kieren Briggs | Ruck 200cm/98kg
Allies | GWS Giants NEAFL
Profile: Strong ruck with a great ground level game who can win a football

Pick 52, Hawthorn
Bailey Williams | Ruck/Key Forward 198cm/95kg
Profile: Highly productive ruck-forward with an insane leap and great tapping ability

Pick 53, North Melbourne [from Richmond via Geelong via Brisbane Lions via Fremantle]
Riley Bowman | Ruck 198cm/82kg
Profile: Strong ruck with a nice forward craft

Pick 54, Brisbane Lions [from Collingwood]
Laitham Vandermeer | General Defender 180cm/76kg
VIC Country | Murray Bushrangers
Profile: Speedy rebounding defender with great foot skills and endurance

Pick 55, North Melbourne [from West Coast]
Joel Crocker | Tall Utility 191cm/73kg
Sandringham Dragons
Profile: A jack of all trades with class, agility and great athleticism

Pick 56, Collingwood [from Carlton via Geelong via Brisbane Lions via Gold Coast via Geelong]
Atu Bosenavulagi | Small Forward 179cm/79kg
Oakleigh Chargers
Profile: Elite pressure forward who can win a hard ball and kick a goal or two

// Players who are taken as academy F/S or NGA players from here I haven’t bothered writing out a pick and points scenario as each pick now is worth less than the 197-point discount therefore it will only cost a club their next pick to match //

Pick 57, Collingwood [from Gold Coast via Geelong]
Hugo Munn | Key Forward 197cm/93kg
South Australia | Sturt
Profile: Strong contested marking forward with creativity and selflessness

Pick 58, Melbourne [from Brisbane Lions via Geelong via Sydney Swans via North Melbourne]
Marlion Pickett | Balanced Midfielder/Utility 183cm/85kg
Swan Districts
Profile: Ready-to-go well-rounded player with skill and efficiency who can play anywhere

Pick 59, Western Bulldogs [from Fremantle]
Buku Khamis | General Defender 189cm/81kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Profile: Highly athletic intercept and rebound defender with great skill and composure

Pick 60, Richmond [from Western Bulldogs]
Tom Sparrow | Inside Midfielder 182cm/81kg
South Australia | South Adelaide
Profile: Fearless ball winner with inside and outside run. As courageous as any in this draft.

Pick 61, Fremantle [from Adelaide via St Kilda via Melbourne]
Tom Joyce | Inside Midfielder 180kg/68kg
Western Australia | East Fremantle
Profile: Little hard nut who wins contested ball, has clean skills and takes the game on

Pick 62, Essendon
Jack Ross | Inside Midfielder 193cm/74kg
Oakleigh Chargers
Profile: Clearance winning midfielder who loves a hard ball get and uses the ball very well

Pick 63, St Kilda [from Port Adelaide]
Mitch Maguire | Inside Midfielder 175cm/??kg
Canberra Demons
Profile: Gut-running ball-winning midfielder with damaging skills, power and scoreboard impact

Pick 64, Richmond [from North Melbourne via Gold Coast via Adelaide]
Josh Kemp | Medium Forward 186cm/73kg
Calder Cannons
Profile: Highly athletic goal kicker with good base to improve on at the next level

Pick 65, Sydney Swans [residual selection]
Mitch Podhajski | Balanced Midfielder 191cm/87kg
Calder Cannons
Profile: Prolific contested midfielder with versatility and scoreboard impact

Pick 66, Carlton [from Geelong] [GWS Giants don’t match]
Mathew Walker | Balanced Midfielder/General Forward 187cm/76kg
Profile: High-marking forward with a strong goal sense and midfield scope

Pick 67, Geelong [from Sydney Swans] [previous bid]
Oscar Brownless | Medium Forward 186cm/76kg
Profile: Smart half-forward with creativity, goal sense and defensive smarts

Pick 68, North Melbourne [residual selection]
Pass

Pick 69, Carlton [from GWS Giants] [GWS don’t match]
Will Hayes | Balanced Midfielder 181cm/79kg
Footscray VFL
Profile: Speedy line-breaking accumulator with a good footy IQ

Pick 70, West Coast [from Hawthorn]
Daly Andrews | Outside Midfielder/General Defender 183cm/76kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Profile: Line-breaking wingman with elite endurance and agility and a penetrating kick

Pick 71, Adelaide [from Melbourne]
Pass

Pick 72, Richmond
Pass

Pick 73, West Coast
Pass

Pick 74, Carlton [previous bid]
Ben Silvagni | Key Defender 194cm/84kg
Profile: High marking contested forward with strength and versatility

Pick 75, Brisbane Lions [from Gold Coast]
Noah Answerth | General Defender 182cm/82kg
Profile: Super clean rebounding defender with a good defensive game and strong run and carry

Pick 76, St Kilda
Pass

Pick 77, Gold Coast [from Brisbane Lions]
Tom Lewis | Inside Midfielder 179cm/78kg
South Australia | Sturt
Profile: Little hard nut with a great defensive game and a real eye for the hard ball

Pick 78, Essendon
Matt McGannon | General Defender 184cm/73kg
VIC Country | Gippsland Power
Profile: Efficient rebounding defender with smarts and skills and maturity

Pick 79, Port Adelaide
Pass

Pick 80, Geelong
Pass

Pick 81, Sydney Swans
Pass

Pick 82, GWS Giants
Pass

Pick 83, Hawthorn [previous bid]
Irving Mosquito | Small Forward 175cm/69kg
Profile: Goal kicking small forward who has a real defensive presence

Pick 84, Melbourne
Harry Reynolds | Balanced Midfielder/General Defender 189cm/74kg
Sandringham Dragons
Profile: Speedy run and carry specialist who is good in traffic and is a versatile option

Pick 85, Essendon
Pass

Pick 86, Hawthorn
Pass

Pick 87, Melbourne
Pass

List spots:
Adelaide:
34 + B. King + Z. Butters + J. McLennan + B. Woodcock = 38
Brisbane Lions: 35 + X. Duursma + C. McFadyen + J. Bytel + L. Vandermeer + N. Answerth = 40
Carlton: 36 + S. Walsh + M. Walker + W. Hayes + B. Silvagni = 40
Collingwood: 35 + I. Quaynor + W. Kelly + A. Bosenavulagi + H. Munn = 39
Essendon: 36 + F. Turner + J. Ross + M. McGannon = 39
Fremantle: 36 + I. Hill + L. Foley + D. Greaves + T. Joyce = 40
Geelong: 34 + R. Collier-Dawkins + L. Sholl + C. Sprague + O. Brownless = 38
Gold Coast: 34 + J. Lukosius + I. Rankine + C. Rozee + E. Smith + J. Koschitzke + T. Lewis = 40
GWS Giants: 33 + J. Caldwell + C. Jones + S. Sturt + N. McHenry + K. Briggs = 38
Hawthorn: 36 + B. Williams + I. Mosquito = 38
Melbourne: 34 + X. O‘Halloran + J. Kennerley + T. Bedford + M. Pickett + H. Reynolds = 39
North Melbourne: 35 + T. Thomas + B. Scott + R. Bowman + J. Crocker = 39
Port Adelaide: 35 + M. King + J. Hately + L. Stocker = 38
Richmond: 34 + C. Taylor + T. McKenzie + T. Sparrow + J. Kemp = 38
St Kilda: 35 + B. Smith + S. Stack + Z. Foot + M. Maguire = 39
Sydney Swans: 34 + N. Blakey + T. Berry + T. Smallwood + R. Grundy + M. Podhajski = 39
West Coast: 35 + L. Valente + W. Hamill + J. Cameron + D. Andrews = 39
Western Bulldogs: 35 + J. Clark + R. West + J. Rowbottom + B. Jarvis + B. Khamis = 40

Last edited:

Great work.
No Kyle Reid? Pies might concider instead of Munn

Reid has a lot of upside, would love the Pies to grab him but I reckon a project key forward is still needed dearly and Munn would be a good pick in the back end of the draft to fit that need

Always love your effort mate. Don't hate our selections but I wouldn't call Jones an outside player and if looking for a Scully replacement it'd come later in the draft in the form of a Kennerly, Turner or Golds. Also not sure if we'll go 2 forwards in Sturt and McHenry after going Bonar, Daniels and Langdon last year.

Pick 24, Western Bulldogs [F/S bid]
785 points (588 with 197-point discount). Bulldogs lose Pick 29 (653) and gain Pick 24.

Rhylee West | Inside Midfielder 180cm/80kg
Profile: Inside bull with lightning hands and elite strength who is rarely beaten one-on-one

Rationale: West is Bulldog bound with any reasonable bid. West’s strength allows him to make sure his height is no disadvantage. West is a proper two-way running midfield who will ensure the Bulldogs have sufficient midfield depth and don’t have to bank on questionable prospects any longer.

Pick 25, Adelaide [from Carlton]
Boyd Woodcock | Small Forward 174cm/68kg
Profile: Explosive small forward whose SANFL stardom has elevated his draft value

Rationale: The Crows have no shortage of local small forwards after trade period however the recruitment of depth can allow flexibility with players like Gallucci and Greenwood whose futures belong in the midfield. Woodcock is a proven success against men despite his tiny frame and recruiters will see that upside as something worth taking a punt on. Dangerous in the air and clinical at ground level, Woodcock is yet another worthy candidate of potentially succeeding the great Eddie Betts.

Pick 26, West Coast [from Gold Coast]
Will Hamill | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 185cm/70kg
Profile: Prolific intercept defender who provides run and efficient ball use also.

Rationale: I’m all about Hamill and I reckon he has insane upside. I reckon there’s a need for a mid-sized intercept defender at West Coast who can also find space and provide heaps of rebound out of defensive 50. His skill and composure can be described as graceful and they’re traits that the Eagles built a premiership upon. Hamill is a great fit at West Coast who have Hurn and Sheppard approaching the twilight of their careers.

Pick 27, Melbourne [from St Kilda via Port Adelaide via Fremantle]
Xavier O’Halloran | Inside Midfielder 186cm/82kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Profile: Inside specialist – a leader, ball winner, clearance king who boasts extreme acceleration

Rationale: I’m actually a big fan of O’Halloran, but I reckon he could be a second day slider. Purely a best available pick for the Demons, who now have another impressive young professional midfielder to help build the midfield into being the deepest and best in the comp. I still won’t be surprised to see Xavier go near the top ten however, he has some really appealing qualities.

Pick 28, Gold Coast [from Brisbane Lions]
Ely Smith | Inside Midfielder 188cm/86kg
Murray Bushrangers
Profile: Strong midfielder who hits contests hard and wins the ball consistently

Rationale: Best available selection for Gold Coast and it’s the Murray Bushranger who is considered a top 20 player by many. Ely is a very strong contested midfielder with lightning hands and great distribution, and clearances come aplenty. Some compare his rookie year to Clayton Oliver’s so Gold Coast’s need for midfield depth could be a blessing in disguise at this pick.

Pick 29, GWS Giants [from Fremantle]
Ned McHenry | Small Forward/Outside Midfielder 176cm/71kg
Profile: Hard-running machine with elite pressure who makes great decisions with ball in hand

Rationale: The Giants would love McHenry here I reckon; they have a fairly bland array of small forwards – capable – but not amazing. McHenry is a tackling machine who uses the ball well and wins his own ball both up forward and through midfield. The only reason McHenry isn’t going inside the top 15 on draft night is his size but make no mistake, he gets the absolute most out of himself and he will be a very good player at AFL level. Expect him to play senior footy in 2019.

Pick 30, Brisbane Lions [academy bid]
629 points (432 with 197-point discount). Lions lose Pick 32, gain Pick 30

Connor McFadyen | Tall Utility 190cm/88kg
Allies | Brisbane Lions NEAFL
Profile: Tall ball winning midfield-forward with class and versatility who could be developed in any role

Rationale: The big-bodied midfielder will be heading to Brisbane and you can bank on it. He’s another addition to Brisbane’s impressive collection of young ball winners, this one a powerful, tall utility who is a strong mark and can pretty much play anywhere.

Also, I can’t be the only one to have thought his surname was ‘McFayden’ until recently.

Pick 31, Melbourne [from Adelaide via Carlton via Sydney Swans via St Kilda]
Jacob Kennerley | Outside Midfielder 184cm/76kg
Profile: Speedy ball getter who can run along a wing all day and provide outside link-up

Rationale: It’s been made very obvious that Melbourne need outside class to support their infinite array of hard ball specialists. Kennerley is very prominent going forward – his ball use is class and his scoreboard impact is sound.

Pick 32, Gold Coast [from Essendon]
Jacob Koschitzke | Key Defender 196cm/94kg
Profile: Strong one-on-one key defender who is ready to go at senior level

Rationale: The Suns have been linked to Koschitzke and it makes sense given that the Suns are at the beginning of a list reformation, and the clever thing would be to load up on long-term key position players. Koschitzke could be playing senior footy by pretty early next year.

Pick 33, Fremantle [from North Melbourne]
Luke Foley | Inside Midfielder 187cm/75kg
Western Australia | Subiaco
Profile: Overage ball winner whose run and carry stands out above all

Rationale: The Dockers need midfield depth and Foley is a local prodigy who will play senior footy in 2019. Foley’s clean ball use as well as his composure and versatility should be welcomed. The Dockers invested heavily in the forward line over the off-season after Neale left a wide hole in the midfield, so expect them to pick up some midfielders on the second day.

Pick 34, Western Bulldogs [from Geelong via Gold Coast via Brisbane Lions]
James Rowbottom | Inside Midfielder 185cm/78kg
Profile: Quality ball winner with an elite defensive game

Rationale: The Bulldogs need players who hit hard and win the pill and few are better at that this year than BT’s nephew Rowbottom. He owns a complete set of defensive attributes for a midfielder of his kind highlighted by his tackling and run-with ability. He is one who can play fairly early in 2019. He’ll fit in very nicely at the Bulldogs I suspect.

Pick 35, North Melbourne [F/S bid]
522 points (325 with 197-point discount). Kangaroos lose Pick 45, gain Pick 36.

Bailey Scott | Balanced Midfielder 186cm/74kg
Queensland | Broadbeach
Profile: Versatile midfielder who provides run and scoreboard impact

Rationale: Expect Bailey to become a Kangaroo in the draft – with Thomas, they become two great prospects with attributes and versatility that come fresh to North’s midfield. Scott contributes clean skills, a strong contested presence and scoreboard impact as well as an effective defensive game.

Pick 36, Essendon [from GWS Giants]
Fraser Turner | Outside Midfielder 186cm/75kg
Allies | Clarence
Profile: Clean wingman with great endurance who provides his teammates with constant link-up

Rationale: Some will shake their head at Essendon taking a wingman but I argue the Bombers really need a class wingman like Turner. Turner can run, run, run and endurance is an area that Essendon are very strong in – they have a strong inside unit, a skilled runner who kicks goals and can occasionally win a hard ball will be a fantastic addition.

Pick 37, Brisbane Lions [from Hawthorn via Port Adelaide]
Jack Bytel | Inside Midfielder 188cm/82kg
VIC Country | Calder Cannons
Profile: Clearance and contested-ball winning machine, one of the strongest this year

Rationale: A huge slider over six months, Bytel has the potential to become one of the game’s strongest inside players. Bytel is a heavy accumulator with a strong defensive mindset, who can give all game. This is plainly a best available selection for Brisbane, and one that could complete their midfield recruitment for a while.

Pick 38, St Kilda [from Melbourne]
Sydney Stack | Inside Midfielder 179cm/72kg
Profile: Working class ball winner with great strength and tackling ability, and great breakaway speed

Rationale: The versatile midfielder has a real competitive edge and he has plenty of attributes to suggest he can make it at senior level – St Kilda need to build on its midfield depth for the future and if available, I see Stack as too good to pass up.

Pick 39, Richmond
Tom McKenzie | Outside Midfielder 182cm/73kg
VIC Metro | Northern Knights
Profile: Versatile mid who is an elite ball user and decision maker with clean skills. Endurance machine.

Rationale: It’s taken a while, but the Northern Knights are on the board. McKenzie is just a cool, calm midfielder with smarts and X-factor. Richmond were dominated on the spread late in the year and I believe McKenzie is one who can fix this in the future. He may even become a rebounding defender and free up a player like Vlaustin to move into the midfield permanently.

Pick 40, Collingwood [F/S bid]
429 points (232 with 197-point discount). Magpies lose Pick 53, gain Pick 40.

Will Kelly | Key Defender 193cm/83kg
Profile: Modern key defender who can intercept and lockdown to a high extent

Rationale: Kelly could collect a bid at around the 20 mark I reckon but I don’t think it’s highly likely. The Magpies need to sort out a replacement for Lynden Dunn for 2020 and beyond, so having Kelly dished up is a privilege and one the club will not turn down.

Pick 41, Sydney Swans [from Collingwood]
Thomas Berry | Balanced Midfielder/General Defender 184cm/74kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Profile: Ball winning midfielder with explosive pace, versatility and agility

Rationale: Sydney have a pretty solid abundance of ball winners on the list and whilst Berry can contribute to that himself, his real specialty is his carry which I reckon Sydney definitely need to invest in. He is a hard attacking footballer who gets the ball forward at all costs. He definitely needs to improve on some things but the potential is sky high.

Pick 42, Sydney Swans [from West Coast via St Kilda]
Tyron Smallwood | Small Forward 177cm/80kg
Profile: Smart small forward with great execution and a strong defensive game

Rationale: Sydney have a dazzling array of mid-sized forwards but one more who is really capable at ground level would be ideal. Sydney need forwards who are more capable defensively, and who can really spice up the forward 50 with more creativity to help out the goal kickers.

Pick 43, Sydney Swans [from Carlton via Adelaide]
Riley Grundy | Key Defender 195cm/79kg
South Australia | Sturt
Profile: Raw athletic key defender with elite intercepting and huge upside

Pick 44, West Coast [NGA bid]
362 points (165 with 197-point discount). Eagles lose Pick 57, gain Pick 44.

Jarrod Cameron | Small Forward 180cm/69kg
Western Australia | Swan Districts
Profile: Gun pressure forward who is strong in contested situations and possesses a great goal sense

Pick 45, Fremantle [from Brisbane Lions via Geelong via Carlton via GWS Giants]
Damon Greaves | General Defender 186cm/74kg
Western Australia | East Perth
Profile: High scope defender with a great penetrating kick who can also stop his opponent

Pick 46, Western Bulldogs
Ben Jarvis | Medium Utility 188cm/77kg
Profile: Medium forward who plays tall for his height and has midfield scope

Pick 47, St Kilda [from Adelaide via Melbourne]
Zac Foot | Small Forward 180cm/71kg
Profile: Clever small forward with smarts and goal sense, whose pressure is a great trait

Pick 48, Melbourne [NGA bid]
302 points (105 with 197-point discount). Demons lose Pick 52, gain Pick 48.

Toby Bedford | Small Forward 176cm/65kg
Profile: Highly impactful defensive small forward with flash and dash

Pick 49, Geelong
Lachlan Sholl | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 185cm/77kg
Profile: Classy rebounding defender and wing player with smarts and strong decision making

Pick 50, Geelong [from Sydney Swans via Collingwood]
Charlie Sprague | Medium Forward 187cm/79kg
Profile: Prolific forward with game smarts and goal sense

Pick 51, GWS Giants
Kieren Briggs | Ruck 200cm/98kg
Allies | GWS Giants NEAFL
Profile: Strong ruck with a great ground level game who can win a football

Pick 52, Hawthorn
Bailey Williams | Ruck/Key Forward 198cm/95kg
Profile: Highly productive ruck-forward with an insane leap and great tapping ability

Pick 53, North Melbourne [from Richmond via Geelong via Brisbane Lions via Fremantle]
Riley Bowman | Ruck 198cm/82kg
Profile: Strong ruck with a nice forward craft

Pick 54, Brisbane Lions [from Collingwood]
Laitham Vandermeer | General Defender 180cm/76kg
VIC Country | Murray Bushrangers
Profile: Speedy rebounding defender with great foot skills and endurance

Pick 55, North Melbourne [from West Coast]
Joel Crocker | Tall Utility 191cm/73kg
Sandringham Dragons
Profile: A jack of all trades with class, agility and great athleticism

Pick 56, Collingwood [from Carlton via Geelong via Brisbane Lions via Gold Coast via Geelong]
Atu Bosenavulagi | Small Forward 179cm/79kg
Oakleigh Chargers
Profile: Elite pressure forward who can win a hard ball and kick a goal or two

// Players who are taken as academy F/S or NGA players from here I haven’t bothered writing out a pick and points scenario as each pick now is worth less than the 197-point discount therefore it will only cost a club their next pick to match //

Pick 57, Collingwood [from Gold Coast via Geelong]
Hugo Munn | Key Forward 197cm/93kg
South Australia | Sturt
Profile: Strong contested marking forward with creativity and selflessness

Pick 58, Melbourne [from Brisbane Lions via Geelong via Sydney Swans via North Melbourne]
Marlion Pickett | Balanced Midfielder/Utility 183cm/85kg
Swan Districts
Profile: Ready-to-go well-rounded player with skill and efficiency who can play anywhere

Pick 59, Western Bulldogs [from Fremantle]
Buku Khamis | General Defender 189cm/81kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Profile: Highly athletic intercept and rebound defender with great skill and composure

Pick 60, Richmond [from Western Bulldogs]
Tom Sparrow | Inside Midfielder 182cm/81kg
South Australia | South Adelaide
Profile: Fearless ball winner with inside and outside run. As courageous as any in this draft.

Pick 61, Fremantle [from Adelaide via St Kilda via Melbourne]
Tom Joyce | Inside Midfielder 180kg/68kg
Western Australia | East Fremantle
Profile: Little hard nut who wins contested ball, has clean skills and takes the game on

Pick 62, Essendon
Jack Ross | Inside Midfielder 193cm/74kg
Oakleigh Chargers
Profile: Clearance winning midfielder who loves a hard ball get and uses the ball very well

Pick 63, St Kilda [from Port Adelaide]
Mitch Maguire | Inside Midfielder 175cm/??kg
Canberra Demons
Profile: Gut-running ball-winning midfielder with damaging skills, power and scoreboard impact

Pick 64, Richmond [from North Melbourne via Gold Coast via Adelaide]
Josh Kemp | Medium Forward 186cm/73kg
Calder Cannons
Profile: Highly athletic goal kicker with good base to improve on at the next level

Pick 65, Sydney Swans [residual selection]
Mitch Podhajski | Balanced Midfielder 191cm/87kg
Calder Cannons
Profile: Prolific contested midfielder with versatility and scoreboard impact

Pick 66, Carlton [from Geelong] [GWS Giants don’t match]
Mathew Walker | Balanced Midfielder/General Forward 187cm/76kg
Profile: High-marking forward with a strong goal sense and midfield scope

Pick 67, Geelong [from Sydney Swans] [previous bid]
Oscar Brownless | Medium Forward 186cm/76kg
Profile: Smart half-forward with creativity, goal sense and defensive smarts

Pick 68, North Melbourne [residual selection]
Pass

Pick 69, Carlton [from GWS Giants] [GWS don’t match]
Will Hayes | Balanced Midfielder 181cm/79kg
Footscray VFL
Profile: Speedy line-breaking accumulator with a good footy IQ

Pick 70, West Coast [from Hawthorn]
Daly Andrews | Outside Midfielder/General Defender 183cm/76kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Profile: Line-breaking wingman with elite endurance and agility and a penetrating kick

Pick 71, Adelaide [from Melbourne]
Pass

Pick 72, Richmond
Pass

Pick 73, West Coast
Pass

Pick 74, Carlton [previous bid]
Ben Silvagni | Key Defender 194cm/84kg
Profile: High marking contested forward with strength and versatility

Pick 75, Brisbane Lions [from Gold Coast]
Noah Answerth | General Defender 182cm/82kg
Profile: Super clean rebounding defender with a good defensive game and strong run and carry

Pick 76, St Kilda
Pass

Pick 77, Gold Coast [from Brisbane Lions]
Tom Lewis | Inside Midfielder 179cm/78kg
South Australia | Sturt
Profile: Little hard nut with a great defensive game and a real eye for the hard ball

Pick 78, Essendon
Matt McGannon | General Defender 184cm/73kg
Profile: Efficient rebounding defender with smarts and skills and maturity

Pick 79, Port Adelaide
Pass

Pick 80, Geelong
Pass

Pick 81, Sydney Swans
Pass

Pick 82, GWS Giants
Pass

Pick 83, Hawthorn [previous bid]
Irving Mosquito | Small Forward 175cm/69kg
Profile: Goal kicking small forward who has a real defensive presence

Pick 84, Melbourne
Harry Reynolds | Balanced Midfielder/General Defender 189cm/74kg
Sandringham Dragons
Profile: Speedy run and carry specialist who is good in traffic and is a versatile option

Pick 85, Essendon
Pass

Pick 86, Hawthorn
Pass

Pick 87, Melbourne
Pass

List spots:
Adelaide:
34 + B. King + Z. Butters + J. McLennan + B. Woodcock = 38
Brisbane Lions: 35 + X. Duursma + C. McFadyen + J. Bytel + L. Vandermeer + N. Answerth = 40
Carlton: 36 + S. Walsh + M. Walker + W. Hayes + B. Silvagni = 40
Collingwood: 35 + I. Quaynor + W. Kelly + A. Bosenavulagi + H. Munn = 39
Essendon: 36 + F. Turner + J. Ross + M. McGannon = 39
Fremantle: 36 + I. Hill + L. Foley + D. Greaves + T. Joyce = 40
Geelong: 34 + R. Collier-Dawkins + L. Sholl + C. Sprague + O. Brownless = 38
Gold Coast: 34 + J. Lukosius + I. Rankine + C. Rozee + E. Smith + J. Koschitzke + T. Lewis = 40
GWS Giants: 33 + J. Caldwell + C. Jones + S. Sturt + N. McHenry + K. Briggs = 38
Hawthorn: 36 + B. Williams + I. Mosquito = 38
Melbourne: 34 + X. O‘Halloran + J. Kennerley + T. Bedford + M. Pickett + H. Reynolds = 39
North Melbourne: 35 + T. Thomas + B. Scott + R. Bowman + J. Crocker = 39
Port Adelaide: 35 + M. King + J. Hately + L. Stocker = 38
Richmond: 34 + C. Taylor + T. McKenzie + T. Sparrow + J. Kemp = 38
St Kilda: 35 + B. Smith + S. Stack + Z. Foot + M. Maguire = 39
Sydney Swans: 34 + N. Blakey + T. Berry + T. Smallwood + R. Grundy + M. Podhajski = 39
West Coast: 35 + L. Valente + W. Hamill + J. Cameron + D. Andrews = 39
Western Bulldogs: 35 + J. Clark + R. West + J. Rowbottom + B. Jarvis + B. Khamis = 40

So glad to see someone go to the effort of doing a full draft not just the top 30. Only thing is I think the lions last pick will be Coleman and the Suns Koenen, both academy kids.

Not fan of what you’ve done with Adelaide’s picks, especially 16* and 21*. Mclennan is a bit of reach at 16, and not a big need. Woodcock at 21(25) is actually a terrible selection, the kid will go 50+ and is in no way a need, there’s literally no chance that happens.

If we don't take AT LEAST one genuine mid I think I'll go nuts. We actually took a run an carry guy in Matthew Ling last year, and have Colin O'Roidan as well. Kennedy badly needs some help, our clearance numbers were poor this year, we need an extractor or an inside mid- at the 38-40 range it is worth taking a gamble on a couple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not fan of what you’ve done with Adelaide’s picks, especially 16* and 21*. Mclennan is a bit of reach at 16, and not a big need. Woodcock at 21(25) is actually a terrible selection, the kid will go 50+ and is in no way a need, there’s literally no chance that happens.

I reckon Woodcock is going early on Friday, don’t be too surprised to see him go before pick 40

Remove this Banner Ad

Back