Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Young Giant Adams won't rush contract talks
TAYLOR Adams' strong month of form for Greater Western Sydney won't push him to make a decision on his future, with the midfielder attracting significant attention from Victorian clubs.

The 19-year-old is out of contract at the end of this season and the former Geelong Falcons onballer is in no rush to make a call on where he will play his football next season.

Adams, who was drafted with pick 13 at the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, has been perhaps the Giants' best player over the past four weeks, averaging 25 disposals.

While the Giants are keen to retain Adams, he has been focused on playing well before stepping up contract talks. Almost all Victorian clubs have expressed their interest in securing him if he chooses to entertain offers from his home state.

"Discussions are on-going and going well, and at the appropriate time we'll sit down with Taylor and discuss further in greater detail," Lucas told AFL.com.au.

The key line for me is "he has been focused on playing well before stepping up contract talks."

I'm sure there's already a dollar amount set aside to re-sign Adams. But being the most highly rated out-of-contract player remaining after all of those re-signings, his management will be sure to have him playing for all he can get.

No real alarm bells for me just yet; is there interest from Victoria? Of course there is. That said, there'd have been interstate interest for the rest of them too. If he has another good couple of weeks leading into the bye, I reckon Scotty Lucas might be handing Taylor a pen on his week off.

Would love to see him commit he has been a leader on the field lately! Would be hilarious if he re-signs and all Vic clubs start srambling to grab Haynes/downie who have both been the least shining light from that draft.

I can see the headline now: "Giants out-of-contract star shuns fledgling club"

They're still going to run that headline at the end of the year, either on an article on a kid leaving or on Cornes, etc, retiring. ;) Got to whip up their headlines somehow.

Can't wait to see the offers from Bigfooty posters! Adams for second rounder or Adams for third rounder and fringe player over 30 cuz they need experience! He is a gun and will most likely be offered a contract and stay with his mates but don't know how much more cringe inducing hypothetical trade scenarios I can endure!!! Treloar for second rounder!?!? Grrrrrrr

Sorry to intrude but could you see Adams leaving? If so I'd imagine Saints would try to get him. Would Gilbert + Pick Somewhere between 10-20 do?

Sorry to intrude but could you see Adams leaving? If so I'd imagine Saints would try to get him. Would Gilbert + Pick Somewhere between 10-20 do?

Adams is the perfect kind of player we should look at trading. Easily covered in the team by other players we have and has shown a lot of promise with some in the bests type performances, all the more so when the team has been disappointing. Would love him to stay but is exactly the type we should try and trade.

Adams went pick 13 and has been in really good form. I'd want someone or something decent for him. A player and a late first round pick, or early 2nd round (depending on the player).

We knew we couldn't hold on to everyone and if it is Adams that is the mass exodus then so be it. But don't expect to get him cheap.

He is uncontracted so if we can't secure a trade he can walk to the preseason draft for nothing can't he? Would we want to redraft him there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly expect him to stay. He is really close with the boys in his draft and his best mate is smith. There hasn't been a hint about him being homesick and the club had his back when he was arrested. He will most likely headline a group of re-signings such as the nsw/act boys.

Imagine pick 40-50 would be a fair deal but a bit overpriced maybe pick 60-70 range depending how generous the club is

Honestly havnt watched many saints games so not sure who is tracking well. Would rather hold onto Adams but if he wanted to go to the saints I would like a player like fisher but would Adams alone suffice?

Honestly havnt watched many saints games so not sure who is tracking well. Would rather hold onto Adams but if he wanted to go to the saints I would like a player like fisher but would Adams alone suffice?

Would be a straight swap both clubs win but doubt Fisher would go

He is uncontracted so if we can't secure a trade he can walk to the preseason draft for nothing can't he? Would we want to redraft him there?

He can walk into the PSD. I doubt we'd re-take him, but it's up to him whether he wants to go to Melbourne. ;)

If Adams was to go into the Pres-season draft he could very easily be picked up by Melbourne. That may not be to his liking, such as a negotiated return to Geelong. I wonder what the Cats could offer as a successful deal. However, I hope he stays if he sees his future with us over a long period of time.

No chance. Not because the trade is unfair, but because I don't think he will want to play for Melbourne.

I think your right there I would actually think he would be open to any vic club but melb, but interesting to see that on your board that Dustin Martin could be involved in a trade for Adams - whats the go there?

I think your right there I would actually think he would be open to any vic club but melb, but interesting to see that on your board that Dustin Martin could be involved in a trade for Adams - whats the go there?

I have no idea. This is Big Footy and a whole bunch of rumours and trade suggestions get thrown around. Of course I would like Richmond to have a crack at getting Adams. Just like most clubs would be looking at their prospects of getting him. I will leave it to our recruiters and football department to determine if it's worth pursuing rather than speculating by throwing names and draft picks around.

I have no idea. This is Big Footy and a whole bunch of rumours and trade suggestions get thrown around. Of course I would like Richmond to have a crack at getting Adams. Just like most clubs would be looking at their prospects of getting him. I will leave it to our recruiters and football department to determine if it's worth pursuing rather than speculating by throwing names and draft picks around.

You're doing it wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back