Bumped Adams Kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting how things have changed since 2015!

Poor coaching 101, but thats leadership from Adams.

The coaches should be working with him day and night on not executing that kick. The problem is his one strong leadership quality is taking on the responsibility that no one else wants Murray aside.

If we could find 3 blokes that consistently take the options Adams does we’d go next level, but yeah not happening. There’s a lot of opposition to it currently, but he can be a Matty Boyd 15-16 HB for us, IMO, with the right support.

Last edited:
When Adams or Langdon have the ball, they should both just handball to someone else and be banned from kicking.
Both of these players hurt the team every time they put foot to ball. Either handball to someone or kick the ball into the second tier of the stand, at least then we might have a chance to man up before the inevitable turn over.

When Adams or Langdon have the ball, they should both just handball to someone else and be banned from kicking.
Both of these players hurt the team every time they put foot to ball. Either handball to someone or kick the ball into the second tier of the stand, at least then we might have a chance to man up before the inevitable turn over.
Langdon isn’t a bad kicker. He can kick it further than Adams and doesn’t mongrel it like Adams. Sometimes it doesn’t hit the target but which player doesn’t hit them. Howe is in the Langdon boat for missing targets but technically as far as kicking go they are both better than Adams.

Langdon isn’t a bad kicker. He can kick it further than Adams and doesn’t mongrel it like Adams. Sometimes it doesn’t hit the target but which player doesn’t hit them. Howe is in the Langdon boat for missing targets but technically as far as kicking go they are both better than Adams.
Howe actually takes the game on with his kicking though unlike Langdon.

When Adams doesn't try to kick the leather off it he actually isn't a bad kick, his issue is always trying to "stab" pass it that makes his kicking unreliable. He just needs to put it to advantage instead of down their throat with each kick.

Also I have no issues with him trying to hit up high risk kicks (when they are on) he does nail them at times but also fluffs them at times and that sticks out in peoples minds. It's interesting that Treloar cops bugger all criticism (on his kicking) when he butchers it just as frequently.

When Adams doesn't try to kick the leather off it he actually isn't a bad kick, his issue is always trying to "stab" pass it that makes his kicking unreliable. He just needs to put it to advantage instead of down their throat with each kick.

Also I have no issues with him trying to hit up high risk kicks (when they are on) he does nail them at times but also fluffs them at times and that sticks out in peoples minds. It's interesting that Treloar cops bugger all criticism (on his kicking) when he butchers it more frequently.

EFA

Howe actually takes the game on with his kicking though unlike Langdon.

Hmmmm, not sure the discrepancy is as great as you seem to be suggesting. No doubt Howe is more creative and I'd assume has more meters gained but how much of that comes from slightly differing roles with the defensive structure, allowing Howe to play less accountably? How much is due to the age/experience difference?

Hmmmm, not sure the discrepancy is as great as you seem to be suggesting. No doubt Howe is more creative and I'd assume has more meters gained but how much of that comes from slightly differing roles with the defensive structure, allowing Howe to play less accountably?

Howe's a much better kick of the ball, Langdon gives a lot of air time to his kicks and about half as much thought into best option/decision making (high risk or safety kick).

Also I have no issues with him trying to hit up high risk kicks (when they are on) he does nail them at times but also fluffs them at times and that sticks out in peoples minds. It's interesting that Treloar cops bugger all criticism (on his kicking) when he butchers it just as frequently.

No margin for error in defence, and the criticism is always amplified when you make mistakes in the back half. Midfielders like Treloar (and Dangerfield), on the other hand, commit their ball butchery all over the field and in places where the price to be paid for their turnovers is less immediate.

In any case, Treloar is easily a bigger Butcher than Langdon or Adams.

No margin for error in defence, and the criticism is always amplified when you make mistakes in the back half. Midfielders like Treloar (and Dangerfield), on the other hand, commit their ball butchery all over the field and in places where the price to be paid for their turnovers is less immediate.

In any case, Treloar is easily a bigger Butcher than Langdon or Adams.

Yeah that is a good point, but how many of Adams errors are in our def 50?

Not many that I can recall, most of his are committed on f50 entries or "middle of the field" play switching shanks, at least the ones that stick in my mind.

Yeah that is a good point, but how many of Adams errors are in our def 50?

Not many that I can recall, most of his are committed on f50 entries or "middle of the field" play switching shanks, at least the ones that stick in my mind.

I suppose the point is not so much whether Adams' butchery occurs in defensive 50 or in the middle of the ground (I admit that his shanks in the forward line stick less in my mind), but the fact that Adams so often takes on the role of transferring the ball across ground or putting it into the corridor. The turnovers from those sorts of kicks are costly, even if they don't happen in the deep 50.

Treloar gets more leeway from Adams when it comes to butchering the ball because he is a better decision maker and a matchwinner. Adams is not.

What makes Treloar a matchwinner?
He breaks the lines and kicks goals from midfield. (Like Swanny used to do for us)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe's a much better kick of the ball, Langdon gives a lot of air time to his kicks and about half as much thought into best option/decision making (high risk or safety kick).

As I've suggested, I don't think there's that much difference between Langdon and Howe circa 2013-14 (about when he was Langdon's age I think). Time will tell if Langdon can have the same level of improvement as Howe has had.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back