Injury Add three new injuries...

Remove this Banner Ad

But i thought we didnt ice anymore since it doesnt matter?

Well technically there’s very little, if any evidence for ice in recovery/healing. There is evidence that it’s a very effective form of pain relief. The trouble is it’s very difficult to get good evidence on the effectiveness on recovery/rehab modalities for a variety of reasons, and given there’s very little downside/harm that can be done with icing, clubs would rather err on the “it might be of some limited benefit and there’s no harm in trying” because they’re after every 1% of benefit, than the “it probably doesn’t so don’t bother”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cruellest of all ironies for this football club is that Dmac is titanium.

Yes. That is the most upsetting part of this injury crisis is Mackay has survived.

A true sign the football gods have decided to smite us.

I thought I saw Atkins left arm hanging in a weird way - that made me think he might have dislocated a shoulder or something.

Copped a big hit/block just off the ball late in the 3rd I think it was. His arm looked limp afterwards.

There's apparently three new injuries after the game last night. Reports coming out that both Talia AND Brown were seen on crutches, and Atkins had his arm in a sling.

I was at the airport a couple of hours ago when the boys arrived back from the West. Brown on walking sticks, but no moon boot. Atkins looked okay and no sling. Didn't notice Talia, but if he was on sticks I probably would have.

Well technically there’s very little, if any evidence for ice in recovery/healing. There is evidence that it’s a very effective form of pain relief. The trouble is it’s very difficult to get good evidence on the effectiveness on recovery/rehab modalities for a variety of reasons, and given there’s very little downside/harm that can be done with icing, clubs would rather err on the “it might be of some limited benefit and there’s no harm in trying” because they’re after every 1% of benefit, than the “it probably doesn’t so don’t bother”.
I think this is a general summary of ice versus no ice management. It's not really a long-term management but more so for acute pain/swelling injuries, where cold ice helps to reduce the swelling and pain.
Though I think there is a separate issue going on where fans are bemused why a player was seen given the ice treatment after the game, and not earlier on when they were off the ground and hadn't come back on. My thinking is that it's simply because players were assessed to still be able to play out the game should the team need them to. With ice pack applied during the match, the muscles would have cooled down to the point they won't be able to come back on again.

Talia and Brown injured...

Honestly I hope we're banking all our injury credits this year for the next 5 and dont have a single injury until 2023 otherwise wtf did we do to offend the gods so.

Well if they is a footy god, what on earth does it think it can do to a club even after its coach was murdered. Where was the fairytale ride then? ******* sadistic bastard!

I was at the airport a couple of hours ago when the boys arrived back from the West. Brown on walking sticks, but no moon boot. Atkins looked okay and no sling. Didn't notice Talia, but if he was on sticks I probably would have.
For Brown, it's too early to apply the moonboot. He'd need to have scans first. If there are fractures or ligament tears, that's when you'd consider the moonboot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back