Adelaide’s Selection System.

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just wondering if anyone can identify any logic in the way teams are selected for each round; is there a clear philosophy, or some sort of overarching plan? I have my hunches, but have never looked at the patterns across a season.

Edit: I’m really not just trying to take a swipe at selectors here (maybe a bit) - but perhaps there’s an overarching strategy we’re missing?

c1e782ee3725476edd2e2ffe5f757f1c.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm afraid the answer is fairly simple.

Our selection strategy is to pick the best 22 players available based on current form (as judged by the selectors), and in the case of close calls, to err on the side of AFL experience rather than potential.

In terms of determining who the best players are, training from (whatever that means) appears to be valued roughly the same as SANFL form. Players who have been in the system longer are given more time to rebound from bad form because they have "credits in the bank". If an experienced player is dropped for bad form, it is assumed that it was simply a form blip, and they are considered to be ready to return immediately to AFL unless actively poor SANFL form is demonstrated on a weekly basis. Decent AFL form is rated higher than any level of SANFL form, so SANFL players cannot "force" their way into the side, only wait for a hole to open up.

I don't like it any more than the rest of you, but it's pretty obviously that and it has been for as long as I can remember.

Edit: On the other hand, I have no idea what our policy is for how long (or if at all) players spend in the SANFL after turning from injury. It appears to be "whatever we feel like at the time".

Last edited:

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Our selection strategy is to pick the best 22 players available based on current form (as judged by the selectors), and in the case of close calls, to err on the side of AFL experience rather than potential.

In terms of determining who the best players are, training from (whatever that means) appears to be valued roughly the same as SANFL form. Players who have been in the system longer are given more time to rebound from bad form because they have "credits in the bank". If an experienced player is dropped for bad form, it is assumed that it was simply a form blip, and they are considered to be ready to return immediately to AFL unless actively poor SANFL form is demonstrated on a weekly basis. Decent AFL form is rated higher than any level of SANFL form, so SANFL players cannot "force" their way into the side, only wait for a hole to open up.

I don't like it any more than the rest of you, but it's pretty obviously that and it has been for as long as I can remember.

Edit: On the other hand, I have no idea what our policy is for how long (or if at all) players spend in the SANFL after turning from injury. It appears to be "whatever we feel like at the time".

You're 100% on the money. A big part of my gripe towards our selections is the lack of development for younger players. Admittedly there have been some injuries impacting the players below but this has not been long-term, other than Milera's "hamstring awareness". Just keep in mind, these are the few draftees we HAVE been playing.

A: Jordan Gallucci was pick 15 in his draft year, but has played fewer games than 22 others from his cohort. That would be understandable if we had plenty of pace in our side, or if Gallucci was a KPP naturally requiring more development before hitting their straps.
B: Darcy Fogarty, pick 12 in his draft year, but has played only 10 games. None this year.
C: Wayne Milera, pick 11 in his draft year, (and an individual who has seemingly been given gold pass treatment in comparison to our other draftees), has played fewer games than 16 others from his draft year, including KPPs like C. Curnow and H. Himmelburg.

I appreciate that you can't just relentlessly play recruits because they need to adjust to the standard of AFL... but, just as an example, wouldn't it make sense to put Fogarty on the bench and rotate him with Tex to give DF some gradual exposure, rest the ol' captain, and bring the added bonus of some versatility to our forward line?

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have no doubt that there are KPI's that are required to be met based around the current game plan and each individual players role, and it's this focus which keeps certain players in the side regardless of their obvious flaws and their lack of contribution in more obvious areas of the game. I think this also goes to explain why senior players keep their spot in the side more often than not as they deliver on what they are required to do without actually having a positive impact on the game. We regularly have many in agreeance on here stating that certain players have had absolute stinkers, but they don't get dropped.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Isn't this mentality largely driven by the supporterbase?
Hmm interesting. You might be right.

The irony of course is we here want the club to do what we want.

I think based on your observation that the club doesn't want too many empty seats yet sometimes that has to happen. If supporters can't accept that then that's on them

tl:dr the club needs to ignore that noise and be a football club

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

You've nailed it, with respects to the close calls.

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
How about this - two keys to our forward line are currently functioning with the following season averages. I've removed names to help with some objectivity:

Player A: 7.8 effective disposals, 1.2 contested marks, 1.5 marks inside 50, 0.6 tackles inside 50, and 59.6 disposal efficiency.
Player B: 7.7 effective disposals, 1.5 contested marks, 1.9 marks inside 50, 1 tackle inside 50, and 63.1 disposal efficiency.

For comparison - Tom Hawkins: 8.7 effective disposals, 1.5 contested marks, 2.9 marks inside 50, 1.1 tackles inside 50, 68.5 disposal efficiency. He's not significantly better, just marginally better right across the board.

You could easily make the case that both these Adelaide players need to be dropped to regain form, yet only one has. Again, no apparent logic to the system.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Afc Selection criteria:
1. Has the player played 50 games or more regardless whether the games were putrid or not?
2. Is the player over the age of 25?
3. Is the player part of the players clique?
4. Who is the player we will need to drop for a certain player to get a game?
5. What is the contract size of the player?
6. Does Campo like the said player?
7. Will the members like the said player?
8. Is the said player vanilla enough to be selected?
9. Does the said player have too many tattoos?
10. Does the said player fit the coaches failed structure?

Players need to fit a majority of these questions to be selected.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Afc Selection criteria:
1. Has the player played 50 games or more regardless whether the games were putrid or not?
2. Is the player over the age of 25?
3. Is the player part of the players clique?
4. Who is the player we will need to drop for a certain player to get a game?
5. What is the contract size of the player?
6. Does Campo like the said player?
7. Will the members like the said player?
8. Is the said player vanilla enough to be selected?
9. Does the said player have too many tattoos?
10. Does the said player fit the coaches failed structure?

Players need to fit a majority of these questions to be selected.

Im sure Pyke is totally left out of any selection process as your suggesting

mcattack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Im sure Pyke is totally left out of any selection process as your suggesting
Makes no difference. Selection is cut and paste from 2017 onwards. Off field problems. On field problems. Constant Disunity. Loads of spin from top down. Time for another review and some heads to roll.

Back