List Mgmt. Adelaide 2018 End-of-Season List Management Decisions

Will we go with a 38/6 structure, or a 39/5 structure?

I've been assuming that we'd stick with 38/6, the same structure we used this year. Cat A rookies no longer need to be upgraded before being selected, so having the extra players on the rookie list makes sense from a TPP perspective.

We recently lost McGovern, who was traded with 2 years still to run on his contract. We didn't trade in any highly paid players, and we haven't re-signed any high value players since before he announced his departure. That means that the bulk of the money he was due to be paid in 2019 & 2020 hasn't been reallocated elsewhere. It's quite possible that his departure has created a temporary "war chest", which could allow us to go with a 39/5 list structure (I think 40/4 is unlikely).

Why is this important? A 39/5 list structure would mean that we could re-sign Cheney and make 4 "live" selections (inside the top-21) in the National Draft, whereas a 38/6 list structure means Cheney has to go if we are to use all 4 draft picks (or we could re-sign Cheney and make 3 selections).

Thoughts?

Do we need to consider how many picks we’ll need to take next year?
I think we’ll start to transition the list by moving on our older depth players as our draftees move up the order.
I can see Jacobs, Douglas and Mackay retiring next year. Otten and Cheney if he stays on the list, could retire/ be listed. Davis is on a 1 year deal.

We could have up to 5-6 players go, and I think the only rookie who might move on to the main list is Murphy. We have no 3rd or 4th next year as it stands, so I doubt we’ll want to go deep into that draft.

Will we continue to go short on the main for the next few years? Surely salary cap is not a concern in the immediate future. Are we even sure we won’t end up using pick 73? Right now the only advantage of having extra rookies is the flexibility of delisting then after 1 year.

Not true! McGovern's departure was expected pretty early in the season. It's kind of hard not to expect it when a player himself is walking around the locker room and saying he will not he there next year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he is out of there come season's end. This has come from one of the players who were sick and tired of his antics this year. A well respected player, in our top 5 or 6 players.
Sounds like he was a disruptive presence who we are best to let go, which is a pity as such a unique player on-field.

Gather dates back to last years' GF non-selection & he hasn't forgiven the club.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We could do a lot worse than offer Jordan Murdoch a base salary deal as a DFA. I don't particularly rate him as a player (there's enough to work with, but just cannot kick on the run - so his roles on a wing/flank are useless as he'll burn you entering 50) but he's an SA boy with experience in an elite system and some match-winning attributes and some goal-nous. Chuck him in a pocket and have him play the Castagna/Butler at Richmond role, he'd be the quickest on our list by a mile with the length to be some sort of aerial threat.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
When you say "it triggered a number of deals", Adelaide only did 3 deals. The first of these was the McGovern trade, the second was a pick swap... which was directly tied to the 3rd deal for Stengle.

Adelaide brought in 2 players who would both be on close to minimum wages (McAdam & Stengle). They lost a player who was on $400k+ (conservative estimate).

Lynch & Sloane were signed much earlier in the year, before McGovern's exit plans became known.

McGovern's departure was both unexpected and unbudgeted - the result of which is that the difference between his salary & McAdam's is now spare room in our salary cap.
Yes but don’t they average the cap now? So clubs can go over the cap provided their average expenditure is ok?

If so savings from this year can be carried over to next year to help retain a player or attract a free agent. Or a ruckman coming out of contract?

I’m not against us using another list spot for Cheney but the club may have another plan on what we can do with any cap space.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I do and I also know that the average wage is entirely irrelevant. He won't be getting the average wage he'll be on near the base wage. Do you know what the base wage is?

Hey marty36 , just following up to see if you actually do know the difference between average wage and base wage and whether you know what the base wage actually is.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We could do a lot worse than offer Jordan Murdoch a base salary deal as a DFA. I don't particularly rate him as a player (there's enough to work with, but just cannot kick on the run - so his roles on a wing/flank are useless as he'll burn you entering 50) but he's an SA boy with experience in an elite system and some match-winning attributes and some goal-nous. Chuck him in a pocket and have him play the Castagna/Butler at Richmond role, he'd be the quickest on our list by a mile with the length to be some sort of aerial threat.
Did someone say DFA? Ah crap, Port bound

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Wouldn’t he be a momty to end up at Port?!

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Last year proved Adelaide’s list is good enough to challenge for and potentially win a premiership but I believe a lack of depth is the club’s main problem.

Losing players such as Taylor Walker, Rory Sloane, Brad Crouch, Kyle Hartigan and Brodie Smith to injury for various stages of the year tested the depth and they failed that test. While it’s hard to cover stars like Walker and Sloane, we’ve seen clubs including Collingwood and GWS overcome injuries to its best players, including stars such as Adam Treloar, Jamie Elliott, Josh Kelly and Tom Scully but still play finals.

When fit and firing, however, the Crows can challenge the best teams and we saw exactly that in Round 2 when they defeated Richmond by six goals at Adelaide Oval.

The major positive from a bitterly disappointing season was the emergence of Tom Doedee and Darcy Fogarty. Doedee slotted into the back six perfectly following the departure of Jake Lever to Melbourne and performed at a consistent high level every week, while Fogarty showed he’s a star of the future as a powerful forward with a long and accurate kick.

Wayne Milera also provided a glimpse of the talent that saw him taken with pick 11 in the 2015 draft. He’s got a bright future ahead of him and can add a dynamic new mix to the side.

Hugh Greenwood took on a more permanent midfield role and impressed, Paul Seedsman had arguably his best season in the AFL across halfback, Rory Laird continues to go from strength to strength, Matt Crouch averaged 32.2 disposals and Bryce Gibbs came in and did what the club expected him to do as a midfielder.

There is, however, a lot of improvement to surely come from this group given Walker, Sloane, Josh Jenkins and Eddie Betts had inconsistent seasons for various reasons.

Adelaide’s forward line has been weakened a little by the departure of Mitch McGovern to Carlton but the club did extremely well to secure pick No.13 in a very strong draft in exchange for him. The bonus is the Crows landed Fogarty last year, who I rate very highly, who can step straight into McGovern’s spot.

ADELAIDE’S LIST NEEDS
Adding speed through the midfield should be the focus for Adelaide, as well as finding a ruckman to replace Sam Jacobs. Jacobs is now 30 (he’ll be 31 early next season) and while he has been incredibly durable, there were some signs this year that perhaps he might not be able to carry the heavy workload he’s been able to in the past. Finding some help for him must be a priority.

McGovern’s departure will leave the Crows a bit light on for key position depth up forward, so targeting one either through the draft should be on the radar. Walker (28 years) and Jenkins (29) aren’t getting any younger, so bringing in another tall to develop alongside Fogarty, who is more of a third tall, and Elliott Himmelberg would be ideal planning for the future.

CRYSTAL BALL
Adelaide is in the premiership window despite their disappointing season this year. The Crows should be back in contention in 2019, providing the list is fit and the off-field issues are resolved.

It’s critical this club and its players can, over the off-season, find the hunger and enjoyment for the game again and regroup and unite in the pursuit of a premiership.

Last edited:

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I feel sorry for ROB. Hes the forgotten man. Last year played under duress with his shoulder and finished season 8 weeks early to get off to surgery. Hes ready for a full pre-season and I expect to see him back to his form that made him one of the best ruckman n the SANFL when he was 20. Now that hes 23 turning 24 in August I hope that he will overtake Sauce by the end of the end of the year.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
we don't have the room on our list do we to pick up a DFA? we have 3 or 4 spots to fill as it is? which will be taken up by the kids we pick up in the draft.
Id love to see us take Murdoch but we all know those seagulls at Port will pick him up

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
we don't have the room on our list do we to pick up a DFA? we have 3 or 4 spots to fill as it is? which will be taken up by the kids we pick up in the draft.
Id love to see us take Murdoch but we all know those seagulls at Port will pick him up
Partington from WCE has a bigger upside.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Partington and Murdoch to Gold Coast as DFAs so they can fill their quota of SA boys. Picks 2 and 3 to the crows ;)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Coming from of all people Dean Brogan I don't mind his suggestion when questioning our Ruck depth of South Adelaide's Keegan Brooksby, whilst he's only 198cm he's a massive unit and covers the ground well, certainly not a 'dinosaur' and handy up forward as well. Certainly an upgrade on Hunter.
Did play 14 AFL games for the Suns 2015 -2017. I like the idea if we can't bring in an AFL listed Ruckman in the trade period.
Bump

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I can't see us taking him with any of our top-21 picks. May be an option in the Rookie Draft, if he's still available. They may have to make a choice between drafting Brooksby and re-drafting Hunter. Which do you think would be the better option?

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I can't see us taking him with any of our top-21 picks. May be an option in the Rookie Draft, if he's still available. They may have to make a choice between drafting Brooksby and re-drafting Hunter. Which do you think would be the better option?
Brooksby every day and twice on a Sunday, makes up for his lack of a cm or two with his aggressive attack on the man and ball, dominant big man in the SANFL.....and like his old man Phil and uncle Graham Brooksby who were top liners for South Adelaide in their time he's a pretty decent footballer

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Brooksby every day and twice on a Sunday, makes up for his lack of a cm or two with his aggressive attack on the man and ball, dominant big man in the SANFL.....and like his old man Phil and uncle Graham Brooksby who were top liners for South Adelaide in their time he's a pretty decent footballer

He just got picked up by West Coast did he not?

Top 10 by end of next season?

Huge call.

Sloane, Matt, Smith, Laird, Brad, Lynch, Talia, Gibbs, Doedee, JJ, Tex, Milera, Seeds... who is dropping out?
Gibbs it seems.

Keath certainly in top 10.

Back