List Mgmt. Adelaide 2018 End-of-Season List Management Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 looking like it might be the first year in recent memory that we dont have to suffer through a season waiting for someone to sign.
Hoping we can get Doedee on long term deal later this year.
I certainly can't see Greenwood going anywhere. He picked Adelaide when he had multiple clubs wanting to sign him as a Cat B rookie, and he's nowhere near FA status. I think he'll sign as soon as Adelaide put a half-decent contract in front of him.

RE-SIGNED or UPGRADED:
Paul Seedsman
Ben Davis
Lachlan Murphy (R)
Kyle Cheney

RETAINED AS ROOKIES
Jackson Edwards (R)
Cameron Ellis Yolmen (R)
Patrick Wilson (R)

TO ANOTHER CLUB/DELISTED:
David Mackay (10+ yrs)

DELIST
Harry Dear
Matthew Signorello
Sam Gibson
Curtly Hampton
Andy Otten

ROOKIE DELISTINGS
Paul Hunter (R)
Ben Jarman (R)

TRADED
Mitch McGovern

That's my guess currently.

Can someone tell me why they think the club would promote CEY back to the senior list? I think he's more likely to be delisted. Putting that aside, he can still be selected for AFL games while on the rookie list, so why would they want to promote him?

Carmo and crows dude have both made this suggestion. I would love to hear your reasoning.

Whose got more games this year, Otten or CEY? Crows generally reward players getting a decent amount of games with shifts from the rookie list. This is the same sort of thinking you use to justify many of your calls wrt selection. Its what I expect them to do.

Whose got more games this year, Otten or CEY? Crows generally reward players getting a decent amount of games with shifts from the rookie list. This is the same sort of thinking you use to justify many of your calls wrt selection. Its what I expect them to do.
CEY is not your average rookie listed player, at least not your average Adelaide rookie anyway. He's not a youngster who they've taken a chance on - he's a known player who is well down the selection order and is never going to rise higher than his current position. Murphy is the typical rookie, who can look forward to an upgrade as a result of selections this yar.

The situation is also different because of the changes to the rookie list rules. In the past, rookies needed to wait for a senior player going onto the LTI list before they could be selected. That is no longer the case. There is no longer any impediment to a Cat A rookie being selected at AFL level. That being the case, why would they want to promote him?

As for your CEY vs Otten comparison, it's a bit of a red herring. Yes, CEY has played a few games this year. So did Matthew Wright - remember what happened to him? Otten & CEY also play different positions and have different roles. Otten is only 2 injuries away from playing in our forward line, and 1 injury away from playing in defence. CEY is further back in the queue, but injuries have meant that he's been given more opportunities this year. The longer development time for most talls means that CEY's position is also more likely to come under threat from developing youngsters.

Leaving CEY on the rookie list doesn't affect his ability to play at AFL level. He remains slow, with a poor defensive work ethic - problems which will limit his opportunities in the future (when our injury list is shorter). I just don't see any justification for upgrading him - at best he stays on the rookie list, at worst he doesn't get a new contract at all.

I'll absolutely ******* spew if we try and trade Kelly.
Why? I think he has been very good, but if we can get good value for him, I'd say he is a perfect candidate for a trade. I don't think we should try to trade him, but if someone came knocking you'd certainly want to see what they offered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll absolutely ******* spew if we try and trade Kelly.

I think Kelly is easily replaceable and he might have enough currency to at least push us up a few spots in the second round to help us land someone we really rate. Cheney can comfortably cover what Kelly does for a year or 2.

Can someone tell me why they think the club would promote CEY back to the senior list? I think he's more likely to be delisted. Putting that aside, he can still be selected for AFL games while on the rookie list, so why would they want to promote him?

Carmo and crows dude have both made this suggestion. I would love to hear your reasoning.

To be fair, it was a more reasonable suggestion than the one that suggested we could trade him for a third rounder

CEY is not your average rookie listed player, at least not your average Adelaide rookie anyway. He's not a youngster who they've taken a chance on - he's a known player who is well down the selection order and is never going to rise higher than his current position. Murphy is the typical rookie, who can look forward to an upgrade as a result of selections this yar.

The situation is also different because of the changes to the rookie list rules. In the past, rookies needed to wait for a senior player going onto the LTI list before they could be selected. That is no longer the case. There is no longer any impediment to a Cat A rookie being selected at AFL level. That being the case, why would they want to promote him?

As for your CEY vs Otten comparison, it's a bit of a red herring. Yes, CEY has played a few games this year. So did Matthew Wright - remember what happened to him? Otten & CEY also play different positions and have different roles. Otten is only 2 injuries away from playing in our forward line, and 1 injury away from playing in defence. CEY is further back in the queue, but injuries have meant that he's been given more opportunities this year. The longer development time for most talls means that CEY's position is also more likely to come under threat from developing youngsters.

Leaving CEY on the rookie list doesn't affect his ability to play at AFL level. He remains slow, with a poor defensive work ethic - problems which will limit his opportunities in the future (when our injury list is shorter). I just don't see any justification for upgrading him - at best he stays on the rookie list, at worst he doesn't get a new contract at all.

We don't have many inside mids between last selected and him though. There's nobody picking up 30's every week like Lyons, Grigg and Wigg used to do. If we were in rebuild mode he'd probably be a certain evictee, same with Dmac, but we're not, so a couple of depth players get another go. Otten probably too, especially if Mitch goes

Why? I think he has been very good, but if we can get good value for him, I'd say he is a perfect candidate for a trade. I don't think we should try to trade him, but if someone came knocking you'd certainly want to see what they offered.
I’d say Kelly is one player we need to upgrade if we are going to improve. The other one in our defence is Hartigan. Both have reached their ceiling and it just isn’t good enough. Obviously if we can’t upgrade them we keep them, but if we get an opportunity to get a Francis or similar, he is on the table. Francis, while having not achieved anything notable yet, has the potential to be an upgrade.

We don't have many inside mids between last selected and him though. There's nobody picking up 30's every week like Lyons, Grigg and Wigg used to do. If we were in rebuild mode he'd probably be a certain evictee, same with Dmac, but we're not, so a couple of depth players get another go. Otten probably too, especially if Mitch goes
Which is why I think he may be kept on the rookie list. I'm still mystified why anyone would think about promoting him back to the senior list though.

Given there's no meaningful difference, it might just be a pecking order tidy up.
Doesn't the rookie listing constrain you to contract size limits? If it does then there's more of a case for him to be on the main list, if not, then I change my statement about the club putting him on the main list, could be either.

L
Doesn't the rookie listing constrain you to contract size limits? If it does then there's more of a case for him to be on the main list, if not, then I change my statement about the club putting him on the main list, could be either.

I think you can contract them for what you want, but only the excess above rookue contract value is included in the cap. Vaguely recall it mentioned about Hugh, but then it might have only been relevant to cat B's. As a footy group, if we see Cam as first choice mid depth, then I see us rewarding him with the upgrade that represents that. It's how we roll.

David Mackay (1 year deal with whatever money is leftover after all deals are done or forced retirement)
Paul Seedsman (next on the sign up list)
Harry Dear (delist)
Matthew Signorello (delist)
Ben Davis (1 year)
Andy Otten (1 year)
Sam Gibson (delist)
Kyle Cheney (1 year)
Paul Hunter (R) (delist)
Ben Jarman (R) (retain)
Lachlan Murphy (R) (upgrade)
Patrick Wilson (R) (retain/delist)
Jackson Edwards (R) (retain)
Cameron Ellis Yolmen (R) (retain)
Curtly Hampton (delist)

I do not understand the praise for CEY at all, earlier in the season people were trying to talk him up as a 400k player, first 22 etc

He's another Brodie Martin, Mitch Grigg etc one of those dime a dozen mid 20s midfielders that you find in most state leagues that you can bring into the AFL and they can do serviceable job as a depth player.

They may retain CEY as a rookie, but it seems pointless to waste a senior list spot on someone who really doesn't have much to add besides being an insurance policy to cover for injuries.

Last edited:
One thing I will throw out there is that I would be slightly disappointed if the club cut Jars.

I know he hasn't set the world on fire, but from what I have seen of him at SANFL level he's definitely one of those players who is a footballer first and an athlete second.

I would even say that there is a little touch of Jason Porplyzia about him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he could be a bit of a slow burner.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back