Club Focus Adelaide 2020 - Hinge, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook, Berry, Rowe, Hately

AFL Club Focus

What is your greatest concern about Adelaide's off-season?

• Recruiting via the draft (and acquiring more picks)

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Recruiting via trades

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Re-signing players

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And it's the Pride of South Australia..

This is a Crows-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Adelaide are:
- 12th tallest, averaging 187.9cm
- 6th heaviest, averaging 86.5kg
- 2nd oldest with an average age of 25 years
- 3rd most experienced, averaging 78.4 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to Carlton - currently pick 2)
2nd round pick (tied to Carlton - currently pick 20)
2nd round pick (tied to Adelaide - currently pick 31)

*the next pick after these three is a 6th rounder, currently pick 103*

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

With 7 players over 30, Adelaide are equal second with Sydney and Collingwood (Hawthorn are first with 9 players over thirty). You also have a heap of free agents coming up in the next two years that could be dealt with early to avoid speculation.

So who retires, who is traded, who is re-signed?

Where are the gaps in the list? Do you look to fill those gaps via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

So who retires, who is traded, who is re-signed?

Where are the gaps in the list? Do you look to fill those gaps via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Jacobs, Otten certainties to retire, Douglas and Mackay nearly so. Walker needs to consider his options as well. I don't think we can move Gibbs on. In terms of coaching staff Ben Hart has proven to be a disaster, and Camporeale continues to retain his job despite never once creating a successful midfield gameplan in his 10 years here. Both should be moved on.

Gaps are in the top end of the midfield, and have been for a very long time. This list can't contend, and it needs to be rebooted. Can only be solved through the draft.

We have those two good picks from Carlton, ideally we should be trying to flip backup medium defender Jake Kelly at peak price, Rory Atkins to a team that is near contending and thinks his astronaut outside delivery and run will work better for them than us, and Brad Crouch to a team that thinks it can refresh his faltering career. Maybe we can get 5 picks inside 30, maybe we get one or two futures instead.

Accept that next year or tw0 may be rough, play the top end midfielder we get with pick 2 plus fitter and more ready second year former first round draftee mids Chayce Jones and Ned McHenry, and then we have just over a dozen players from 2016-2019 draft (later rounds) and trade periods we can run through to see who is worth persisting with, and who isn't. They get to play alongside enough good experienced players not to be shattered like Melbourne/Carlton/GC, and we still have Milera and Doedee who are under 23. We're not going to be serious contenders again before 2022 at the earliest no matter what happens.

Huge off-season required. Probably need to move on their recruiters or development people. Have only brought two high potential talents into their best 22 since 2013 (Crouch and Milera). Some SA talent there but not sure the forward options they would like are. Wonder if they'ed attempt to make a play for Lukosius given the currency they possess.

Huge off-season required. Probably need to move on their recruiters or development people. Have only brought two high potential talents into their best 22 since 2013 (Crouch and Milera). Some SA talent there but not sure the forward options they would like are. Wonder if they'ed attempt to make a play for Lukosius given the currency they possess.

It will be an enormous off season with Tex Sloane Betts Douglas Jacobs Lynch Talia Otten Gibbs Mackay all catching oldmanitis and midfield needing a kick will the crouches stay with JJ

A couple of queries over the table:

CEY, Atkins, Hartigan all RESTRICTED free agents? I find this hard to believe. CEY is a rookie and OOC at season's end and if Hartigan is in the top 25% of earners, we need to board the club up

Add Doedee to the list.

We did have Lever and McGovern too, but you know what happened there. Plus we tend to get our starting 22 from later in the draft due to always finishing in the middle of the ladder. Laird, Keath, Greenwood, Cameron, ROB, Murphy all late / rookie picks

Yes our recruiters have been overrated or we wouldn't be in the position we are And looking like falling off a cliff

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bailey Williams (the Bulldog one) has been linked to Adelaide. Most dogs fans want to keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of queries over the table:

CEY, Atkins, Hartigan all RESTRICTED free agents? I find this hard to believe. CEY is a rookie and OOC at season's end and if Hartigan is in the top 25% of earners, we need to board the club up

CEY is an unrestricted free agent per the official AFL lists.

Atkins and Hartigan are at the end of year 7, both drafted in 2012 (#81 and #14R respectively), they aren't free agents until the end of 2020. Their restricted/unrestricted status is not finally determined until grand final week of 2020, when the AFL releases the final free agency list for the year.

The most interesting of all the clubs this off season....

That Rory Sloane deal looked bad last year... it's getting worse.
Why is keeping Sloane bad?

He is the soul of the club.

Looks like it may be one of our most active trade period.

Greenwood wants a longer deal than we are offering, so looks like he will be heading to Brisbane, Hawks or Freo. Offers x factor our other mids don't have, but we need to bring through younger guys like Jones & Gallucci.

Jenkins appears likely to be wanting to move. Has had a better year than Tex, but doubt we would move on our captain to give opportunities to Fogarty/Himmelberg.

Kelly rumored to be wanting to head home to Melbourne.

Hartigan also rumored to be wanting to head home to Melbourne.

Jacobs now behind O'Brien may want to try another club, but good chance he may stay.

Think 3 players may end up being traded.

Betts & Gibbs likely to remain, despite the rumours.

Douglas & Otten likely retirements.

Looks like it may be one of our most active trade period.

Greenwood wants a longer deal than we are offering, so looks like he will be heading to Brisbane, Hawks or Freo. Offers x factor our other mids don't have, but we need to bring through younger guys like Jones & Gallucci.

Jenkins appears likely to be wanting to move. Has had a better year than Tex, but doubt we would move on our captain to give opportunities to Fogarty/Himmelberg.

Kelly rumored to be wanting to head home to Melbourne.

Hartigan also rumored to be wanting to head home to Melbourne.

Jacobs now behind O'Brien may want to try another club, but good chance he may stay.

Think 3 players may end up being traded.

Betts & Gibbs likely to remain, despite the rumours.

Douglas & Otten likely retirements.
Yep we are going to have to do it that way as we are rated worst u23 talent in the league so forget drafting we don't know how to do that

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

ADELAIDE

Number of off contract players at the Crows and some that will attract a large amount of interest from other clubs. I'll break them down in terms of re - sign, trade, de - list and retire

I'm re-signing the following: Knight, Stengle, Strachan, Keath, O'Brien, Butts, Davis - rookie, Murphy - upgrade

All players with some time on their side and are current role players or can play roles in the future. Keath and O'Brien the most important re-signings of that list

I've gone with Strachan as a re-signing instead of Hunter without any inside knowledge so any feedback from Crows fans / SANFL watches would be appreciated.

Butts is a long term key defensive replacement, Davis got a debut in 2019 but isn't banging down the door like he should be. Think a rookie list spot could become available for him and Lachie Murphy has shown more than enough to get a promotion to the senior list.

TRADE

Always hard to predict but if you want bang for buck and to see a stagnating player flourish in a new environment and where there skills will be better used than Hugh Greenwood and Cam Ellis Yolmen as powerful midfielders need to be considered as "trade bait".

Kelly I know in the past has attracted some interest and does have that go home factor attached to him. With Doedee back in 2020 may be forced out of the best back 6 so if you can get him out should be considered.

The interesting one is Sam Jacobs. Top of my head I can see that GWS and Essendon would have a look at him with a coaching / mentoring role lined up post footy.

DE - LIST

I'm de-listing Wilson and Hunter from the out of contract list. Wilson maybe a chance for a re-rookie particularly if Adelaide lose depth in Greenwood and Ellis - Yolmen.

Chose Strachan to re-sign over Paul Hunter but they are much of a muchness.

Otten, Douglas and Mackay are on my retiring list.

Last edited:
Trade/Delist/Retire:
Greenwood - Trade
Keath - Trade
Jenkins- Trade
Wilson - Delist
Mackay - Delist/Retire/FA
Douglas - Delist/Retire/FA
Otten-Delist/Retire/FA
Hunter - Delist

Keep:
Jacobs (back up for ROB) 1 year deal.

ADELAIDE

Number of off contract players at the Crows and some that will attract a large amount of interest from other clubs. I'll break them down in terms of re - sign, trade, de - list and retire

I'm re-signing the following: Knight, Stengle, Strachan, Keath, O'Brien, Butts, Davis - rookie, Murphy - upgrade

All players with some time on their side and are current role players or can play roles in the future. Keath and O'Brien the most important re-signings of that list

I've gone with Strachan as a re-signing instead of Hunter without any inside knowledge so any feedback from Crows fans / SANFL watches would be appreciated.

Butts is a long term key defensive replacement, Davis got a debut in 2019 but isn't banging down the door like he should be. Think a rookie list spot could become available for him and Lachie Murphy has shown more than enough to get a promotion to the senior list.

TRADE

Always hard to predict but if you want bang for buck and to see a stagnating player flourish in a new environment and where there skills will be better used than Hugh Greenwood and Cam Ellis Yolmen as powerful midfielders need to be considered as "trade bait".

Kelly I know in the past has attracted some interest and does have that go home factor attached to him. With Doedee back in 2020 may be forced out of the best back 6 so if you can get him out should be considered.

The interesting one is Sam Jacobs. Top of my head I can see that GWS and Essendon would have a look at him with a coaching / mentoring role lined up post footy.

DE - LIST

I'm de-listing Wilson and Hunter from the out of contract list. Wilson maybe a chance for a re-rookie particularly if Adelaide lose depth in Greenwood and Ellis - Yolmen.

Chose Strachan to re-sign over Paul Hunter but they are much of a muchness.

Otten, Douglas and Mackay are on my retiring list.

WE are in a bit of pain

We have been rated worst youth u/23 on AFL.com

WE need to start drafting smarter

Keath is an interesting one, he has currency and will be 28 years old next year, if we are nowhere for 2 or 3 years then he is one of the first to go as he has currency and age against him

Jenkins,Greenwood Knight Betts Gibbs Douglas Mackay have all been omitted this year so have limited currency

Maybe to get more trade currency Crouches,Laird,Smith, Sloane, one or a couple may be considered to be traded

Hopefully Betts does a hodge,Mitchell type move as he is cooked

Tex is a worry he will be a year older next year and is already showing signs the last two years of slowing

As the title says, it looks like Adelaide are trying to swap currently pick 3 for multiple picks

Adelaide holds pick No.3 in the NAB AFL Draft, but is willing to consider offers from rival clubs
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-15/crows-open-to-trading-earliestever-draft-pick

What would be the right picks to get pick 3?

Last year St Kilda wouldn’t trade pick 8 and 13 for pick 4 but I’d be happy to do that trade for pick 3.

As the title says, it looks like Adelaide are trying to swap currently pick 3 for multiple picks

Adelaide holds pick No.3 in the NAB AFL Draft, but is willing to consider offers from rival clubs
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-15/crows-open-to-trading-earliestever-draft-pick

What would be the right picks to get pick 3?

Last year St Kilda wouldn’t trade pick 8 and 13 for pick 4 but I’d be happy to do that trade for pick 3.

The draft last year is differnt to this year... it appears to be a big difference after the first two ... and GC get a PP.. the the Crows pick become 4.. 2 picks in the teens ?

Back