PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Geelong 2007 was a list with some generational talents in the midfield and defence though.
That Geelong GF team had about 14 A Graders looking back... atleast... they were top 4 in 04, got beaten by Port after their choking issues, bottomed in 2006 (can't remember 05 off my head) and got rightfully back to where they should have been after 04's effort.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
This.

The only thing you can be really happy as a supporter is to get through unscathed... preferably without your 2 best running into eachother too...

North went in with several extra players on the bench on Saturday, how can anyone take that result seriously?

You ideally wanna see players run out a game, look fit, hopefully sharp too... the result is meaningless.

How many times do I have to say that the result IS NOT where I gathered plenty of positives.

You just show that your comprehension skills are poor.

There is A LOT to take out of pre-season games, much more than just no injuries.

Why do you think pre-season matches, intraclub matches and training sessions exist?

* me some people have no clue.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
There were plenty of positive signs. Just having Brad Crouch and Brodie Smith in the field were positives in and of themselves. However, you can't read too much into it. For example, maybe Betts is back to his 2017 form and will have a big year. Or maybe Port and GWS were experimenting with players or defensive set-ups and he was matched up against a 2nd year player to try and develop them, whereas that match-up would likely be avoided if possible. So you can't read much into it.

Take the 2018 JLT, for example. West Coast barely beat Port (won by 2 points) and got flogged by Freo by 10 goals. Collingwood lost to GWS by 10 goals and Hawthorn lost both their games. Meanwhile Carlton and GC, who combined for a 6-38 W/L record last year, won all 4 of their games (including GC thrashing Geelong by 56 points).

Stop mentioning results as your example. I have already explained that is meaningless. I'm not even going to bother with that.

You are correct that seeing players through injury is ONE positive- thanks for joining my side.

There are MANY more - you can see players tried in new positions, you can see running patterns, you can see how a player is kicking, running, handballing, marking etc in a medium-high intensity, the list goes on. Don't come onto a forum during pre-season if all your knowledge of footy extends to is 'durrrr preseason results don't correlate to premiership season results'.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stop mentioning results as your example. I have already explained that is meaningless. I'm not even going to bother with that.

You are correct that seeing players through injury is ONE positive- thanks for joining my side.

There are MANY more - you can see players tried in new positions, you can see running patterns, you can see how a player is kicking, running, handballing, marking etc in a medium-high intensity, the list goes on. Don't come onto a forum during pre-season if all your knowledge of footy extends to is 'durrrr preseason results don't correlate to premiership season results'.
Even individual performances, good or bad, may not mean that much. Did Betts play well because he is back to his best or was it because Port and GWS put kids on him.

Was Walker held to only 10 and 14 touches because he played poorly? Or was it because the game plan in JLT involved him serving as a decoy a lot of the time, with team mates encouraged to search for a longer option over Walker's head? OR was it because his game time was being managed in order to give other forwards more game time, for example, to see how the forward line functions with only 1 key forward.

Was Milera's performance even better than it looked, because the coaches gave him the most dangerous opposition forward to mind, just to see if he was up to it?

Did Brad and Matt Crouch rack up a ton of possessions because they are in red hot form, or was it because their opponents were told to play their own game and concentrate on getting the ball themselves as much as possible, rather than worrying about any defensive running at all?

You can try all those things in JLT because it doesn't matter if you win or lose. If a defender is getting absolutely flogged by their opponent you can just leave the match-up as it is to see if the player can turn it around. During the season the coaches are likely to make changes if players are being beaten.

So the best you can hope for is that you don't get any injuries, most of your players find some of the ball, get some confidence and match fitness up, get used to the game plan and test out a few things to see what works.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Reigning premiers are a pretty good read, champ. (You suck at analysis by the way - its basically "I'm going to pick the minor premiers to go well, the team everyone reckons will come good aaaaand the losing GF team because they have good players" - don't burn too many brain cells.)
You're just mad I didn't equate the Crows in 2019 to Geelong 2007.

Errrrrrrrrr analysis? Sure buddy, very normal to take posting that seriously. It was a casual response to someone not a ******* prospectus.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Even individual performances, good or bad, may not mean that much. Did Betts play well because he is back to his best or was it because Port and GWS put kids on him.

Was Walker held to only 10 and 14 touches because he played poorly? Or was it because the game plan in JLT involved him serving as a decoy a lot of the time, with team mates encouraged to search for a longer option over Walker's head? OR was it because his game time was being managed in order to give other forwards more game time, for example, to see how the forward line functions with only 1 key forward.

Was Milera's performance even better than it looked, because the coaches gave him the most dangerous opposition forward to mind, just to see if he was up to it?

Did Brad and Matt Crouch rack up a ton of possessions because they are in red hot form, or was it because their opponents were told to play their own game and concentrate on getting the ball themselves as much as possible, rather than worrying about any defensive running at all?

You can try all those things in JLT because it doesn't matter if you win or lose. If a defender is getting absolutely flogged by their opponent you can just leave the match-up as it is to see if the player can turn it around. During the season the coaches are likely to make changes if players are being beaten.

So the best you can hope for is that you don't get any injuries, most of your players find some of the ball, get some confidence and match fitness up, get used to the game plan and test out a few things to see what works.

Now you are backtracking very fast. It learns!

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're just mad I didn't equate the Crows in 2019 to Geelong 2007.

Errrrrrrrrr analysis? Sure buddy, very normal to take posting that seriously. It was a casual response to someone not a ******* prospectus.

I would have called you a fool had you made that ridiculous connection.

No, I just enjoy showing people how simple they are. You plebs live in ignorance.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
You just show that your comprehension skills are poor.

There is A LOT to take out of pre-season games, much more than just no injuries.
Explain Carlton's Preseason Premierships?

Seriously, every post you are not only embarrassing yourself but you are tarnishing your team's supporters.

PRE-SEASON MEANS NOTHING

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Adelaide do have the makings of a great team. Strong midfield, great forward line, good home ground advantage. I do think that there defense can be a bit suspect at times but that can be overcome with good defensive pressure across the ground. In general it’s obvious last year was a down year and they will be looking to repent this season.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Explain Carlton's Preseason Premierships?

Seriously, every post you are not only embarrassing yourself but you are tarnishing your team's supporters.

PRE-SEASON MEANS NOTHING

You are still talking about results. It means a lot in terms of coaching. That's what I'm looking at. You are trying to learn how to read.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
You are still talking about results. It means a lot in terms of coaching. That's what I'm looking at. You are trying to learn how to read.
I'll await your apology.

Actually I know I won't hear anything....

The JLT ALWAYS MEANS NOTHING.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'll await your apology.

Actually I know I won't hear anything....

The JLT ALWAYS MEANS NOTHING.

Its amazing that even many days on, you still didnt get the point of the entire conversation. Embarrassing yourself further will be of no use to anyone.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Its amazing that even many days on, you still didnt get the point of the entire conversation. Embarrassing yourself further will be of no use to anyone.
No, you read into JLT.

Period.

It's nothing. It's irrelevant. It's useless.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
No, you read into JLT.

Period.

It's nothing. It's irrelevant. It's useless.

You kept talking about results and are still using a result to try and justify yourself.

Its not aboit results. It's aboit trying new things, seeing how players are moving for fitness, looking at some plays being run. If clubs found no value it wouldnt happen. The JLT is not a money maker for the AFL.

You just dont know how to watch a game without a scoreboard to help you with who is playing better. Don't get angry at people who actually understand the game.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
You just dont know how to watch a game without a scoreboard to help you with who is playing better. Don't get angry at people who actually understand the game.
So don't you think they'd use the JLT to prep for R1?

How's that going?

When one team can play with additional players how relevant is it?

NeverForget2

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You kept talking about results and are still using a result to try and justify yourself.

Its not aboit results. It's aboit trying new things, seeing how players are moving for fitness, looking at some plays being run. If clubs found no value it wouldnt happen. The JLT is not a money maker for the AFL.

What happened to that lube Port was gonna need today nuffy? Looks like Crows use the KY on themselves:thumbsu:;)

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So don't you think they'd use the JLT to prep for R1?

How's that going?

When one team can play with additional players how relevant is it?

You are still using results. I cant believe I have to keep pointing that out.

It isnt about the oppositiin in JLT its about your side - how many players are used is irrelevant. Get a bloody clue.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
You are still using results. I cant believe I have to keep pointing that out.

It isnt about the oppositiin in JLT its about your side - how many players are used is irrelevant. Get a bloody clue.
Don't you think they use the preseason to be ready for R1???

Back