Club Focus Adelaide 2020 - Hinge, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook, Berry, Rowe, Hately

AFL Club Focus

What is your greatest concern about Adelaide's off-season?

• Recruiting via the draft (and acquiring more picks)

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Recruiting via trades

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Re-signing players

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The headline was written like that. The journalist does not write the headline, the sub-editor does. I agree a lot of AFL headlines (including this one) are clickbait rubbish.

McGowan's story looks pretty measured to me. Check out the description he gave it in this tweet.

The players prepare their lines before talking with the media. If Fantasia and his manager had said something like 'It's categorically untrue, I never said anything like that' then sure. Otherwise it looks like a (successful) attempt to deflect attention towards the journalist and away from the fact he does intend to go.

He's come out and said it twice now, once the day the article above was published, and more recently he was asked about it at a press conference.

This one "Are you seeking a trade home this year" "no" https://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2019-07-03/btv-fantasia-speaks

Then a couple of days ago he did a press conference and got asked about it again, said "100% will be at Essendon next year", and "very happy here, unlikely to go home [during my career] unless something changes" from this one:

I don't mind if you want to talk about it, but ya, probably not going anywhere, and certainly not any time soon.

I'm curious what he'd be worth to you this year with his injuries and such though?

He's come out and said it twice now, once the day the article above was published, and more recently he was asked about it at a press conference.

This one "Are you seeking a trade home this year" "no" https://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2019-07-03/btv-fantasia-speaks

Then a couple of days ago he did a press conference and got asked about it again, said "100% will be at Essendon next year", and "very happy here, unlikely to go home [during my career] unless something changes" from this one:

I don't mind if you want to talk about it, but ya, probably not going anywhere, and certainly not any time soon.

I'm curious what he'd be worth to you this year with his injuries and such though?
Sigh, again the article did not say he was seeking a trade this year.

The first grab from him was the identical pre-rehearsed line he said multiple times...about him seeking a trade this year.

In the second video the categorical "No" comment was, you guessed it, about him seeking a trade this year. Beyond this year his answers are nowhere near as decisive "Who knows?"

Players and clubs play with language all the time to bury stories they don't like. He may stay, but if there was nothing to the story it would be the easiest thing in the world to debunk. This has all the hallmarks of there being more to the story.

I don't care, I'm a Brisbane supporter, have no skin in the game whatsoever...Rory laird now he is kinda interesting.

Sounds like AFC will be picking up some of the tab for Betts and Jenkins to play with other clubs.
This on the back of losing Cameron McGovern Lever, the Gibbs disaster and the re signing of the veteran Mackay .
Reckon young Reid might be a tad nervous when the Chief asks him to come in and sit down ...

Well it appears young Reid has come through the review with flying colours.
It also appears that he has a bold new list management strategy unfolding.
Evidence suggests young Reid is targeting future 4th round draft picks as the centrepiece of Adelaide’s list rejuvenation going forward.
North used the 10 year rule in the day and Hawthorn loved their left footers more recently to achieve success.
It’s revolutionary list management and a preparedness to look outside the square that separates the best from the rest.
Young Reid’s body of work to date and his ambitious plans for the future will ensure his place in history ...

Well it appears young Reid has come through the review with flying colours.
It also appears that he has a bold new list management strategy unfolding.
Evidence suggests young Reid is targeting future 4th round draft picks as the centrepiece of Adelaide’s list rejuvenation going forward.
North used the 10 year rule in the day and Hawthorn loved their left footers more recently to achieve success.
It’s revolutionary list management and a preparedness to look outside the square that separates the best from the rest.
Young Reid’s body of work to date and his ambitious plans for the future will ensure his place in history ...

Wonder if we'll get any wooden spoons.. not sure if we'll ever be that terrible tho..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't really argue with him at all RE Mitch McGovern.

Guess the issue is not so much the players Adelaide have lost, but the replacements they have managed to bring in (which isn't Riccuito's job)

It seems like they did try clean the decks (salary cap wise) in order to try get in on the Lukosius/Rankine sweepstakes, but sadly for them, they are locked away till the end of 2022.

What the Crows need to do on the next 2 or 3 years, is really hit the draft hard, and create a stable and player friendly culture so they can be in a position to try again for Luko and Rankine next time they come out of contract.

They need to give Matty Nicks five years at least, they have gone through coaches as much as Carlton have in the past, and that doesn't look great on their culturr and stability as a football club.

If they want to hit back into the draft, they may have to give up a Milera, who haa shown plenry of tantalising glimpses of his talent, but it hasn't come together for him (although reading the AFC board, many Crows fans believe he is kept beinf played out of position)

They have not got much other expendable players that would fetch some currency on the open market unfortunately.

I think they have enough competent people and resources to not take a rebuild as long as Brisbane or Carlton, but the next few years will be tough for Crows fans.

To their credit, in their 30 year history, the Crows have never really had an extended patch around the bottom 4/6, so this will be a testing experience for many Adelaide fans.

If they can nail 2/3 great drafts in a row, like PAFC have done, they will be well and truly back in business.

Lol they all left because they wanted out spin it how ever you want too
Every one of those players would have stayed if they were paid what they asked for.

Only one I can speak for on authority is Greenwood, I can understand about turning him into draft picks as Roo suggested. But we only gave up our 2020 3rd and 4th Rounders for him. They probably aren't going to draft anyone of note with those 2 picks.
They will be used for points for their NGA academy duo Edwards and Borlase.

Whilst there are a couple of good young SA tall forward prospects,
if they have 2 high end picks I think they have to target a young midfielder eg. Phillips and one of Baldwin / Tilthorpe.

if they have 2 high end picks I think they have to target a young midfielder eg. Phillips and one of Baldwin / Tilthorpe.
Plus - we genuinely thought they would be the first picks of those rounds, so it's only slightly off a late 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Wasn't there a bit of controversy months ago about Edwards possibly not nominating the Crows under F/S due to some beef his old man had with the AFC hierarchy.

Hope its been resolved for Crows fans sake.

Plus - we genuinely thought they would be the first picks of those rounds, so it's only slightly off a late 2nd and 3rd rounder.
The Greenwood thing isn't the end of the world for Adelaide obviously - the picks will be useful.
Would have been nice to get something this year and something next year so you could get some development into kids now, rather than just having them in the back pocket. Although don't know how that could have played out.

Back