Club Focus Adelaide 2022 - Rankine, Michalanney, Dowling, Bond, McPherson, Seedsman

AFL Club Focus
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The Crowd already have quite a few already extended and re-signed for 2023 onwards, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

Tex Walker is almost a certainty to retire, and Himmelburg is out of contract and a probable delisting.

Billy Frampton showed late season promise as a key defender, so he is a possible re-signing, and Jimmy Rowe seems 50/50.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Yep only 6 senior listed out of contract of which a minimum 3 will go

the rest are cat a or b rookies
Yeah, and of those six, you'd have to think Gollant is an almost guaranteed re-signing and Hinge is probytge same.

The Crows may need to be a bit strategic about trades?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, and of those six, you'd have to think Gollant is an almost guaranteed re-signing and Hinge is probytge same.

The Crows may need to be a bit strategic about trades?
We may see the likes of McAdam, Worrell, Murphy, McPherson on the table.

I think if Walker has anything to do with the club then it will go backwards. I would drop him now even though he is their best forward

If the players are willing to accept him back (and currently they are), it likely won't impact. We've got Tex for one more year, and frankly our forward line desperately needs him coming into 2022.

Thilthorpe, Gollant, Cook and Rachele still need a little bit more time.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think if Walker has anything to do with the club then it will go backwards. I would drop him now even though he is their best forward
Why?

The guy said something dumb to one of the other players. I imagine pretty much every player has forgiven him, and if not the reasons have been openly discussed.

I think it's easier to stand in harsh judgment to a public figure you don't know. When one of your mates does something dumb though and they apologise, most of us would accept it.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tell us how that midfield stacks up to the rest of the competition …
The crows aren't pretending to win the flag in 2022. That doesn't mean Laird, Keays, Schoenberg, Sloane, Berry, Dawson and co won't be competitive.

Most teams best mids would also be in the mid to late twenties in response to clueless below.

Future midfield will likely be built around Schoenberg, Pedlar, Berry, Rachele, Cook, possibly Jones if he transitions back to the midfield and I'm sure they will be in trade and free agent market once finished with rebuild.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
The crows aren't pretending to win the flag in 2022. That doesn't mean Laird, Keays, Schoenberg, Sloane, Berry, Dawson and co won't be competitive.

Most teams best mids would also be in the mid to late twenties in response to clueless below.

Future midfield will likely be built around Schoenberg, Pedlar, Berry, Rachele, Cook, possibly Jones if he transitions back to the midfield and I'm sure they will be in trade and free agent market once finished with rebuild.
Like the look of Schoenberg for the future but that midfield will be slaughtered in 2022.
A likely very high draft pick might well be used to strengthen this area for the future …

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
You guys are in like, year 10 of your rebuild. Surely you can't comment ahah
This is an Adelaide thread if I’m not mistaken, try and stay on topic.
I have serious concerns about the quality and depth of Adelaide’s midfield entering 2022.
It looks to be far and away the weakest in the competition and by extension, will put the defence under enormous pressure week in week out.
It will be interesting to see how Nicks addresses this as the season unfolds …

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have serious concerns about the quality and depth of Adelaide’s midfield entering 2022.
It looks to be far and away the weakest in the competition and by extension, will put the defence under enormous pressure week in week out.
I look at it differently. Adelaide has a number of good ball extractors. Laird, crouch, Keays, shoenberg, sloane (if still used there). What they were always missing over the last few years was class on the outside although seedsman had a career best year last year. They have now added dawson to that wider midfield unit and fingers crossed milera is over his injury and can move there too. So with added outside class i dont think it will be such a problem. Finals?..not this year but i dont think it will be wooden spoon either. Club is building nicely

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who's already 28? He's your best mid?

Interesting.

our midfield is krud. No speed, no high end kicks or decision makers. Then there's our 4 man midfield strategy. I reckon Crouch, Laird, Keays and Sloane would all get some minutes in most midfields but as a group they're as bad as it gets. Young Schoenberg looks like he might get to a-grade level. But if stick to past strategy he might find himself at half forward with Crouch back.

scoops

Senior List
May 16, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Youngest team in the league so obviously?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I guess supporter’s can take some comfort in that if it helps but it might wear thin soon enough when the “L’s” continue to mount up week after week.
If Port remain a contender, I’m sure the media in the two horse town will apply the blowtorch to the crows …
Firstly, no one gives a s**t about Port.

Secondly, Port are already starting to lose players to injury, they're aging and they're going backwards. So, they're hardly competing for the hearts and minds of people in South Australia.

The Crows? Let's see how they go. It's still a rebuilding year, but Laird and Keays get a lot of ball around the coalface, Schoenberg is going to be a dominant accumulator, Crouch will return and there's a stack of youth getting opportunities. They're an enjoyable team to support.

Back